cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wheel Bearings, Brakes, Tires

LaunchnRetrieve
Explorer
Explorer
Brought my trailer home from storage. All kinds of clanking noises.
Grabbed all four tires and shook 'em. Two of them clunked back and forth. Is that really the way to tell if you need new bearings?

It's a 2003 without much mileage on it. Just thought I should have the brakes and bearings checked. Shop wants 350 to check brakes, repack/replace bearings/hub, and clean up.

I'll see what's around for tires then throw out a thread (there aren't enough tire threads lol). Not going to replace wheels. Money is tight! Just going to replace original tires.

Then the awning. Ouch!
14 REPLIES 14

LaunchnRetrieve
Explorer
Explorer
thanks everyone

LaunchnRetrieve
Explorer
Explorer
SJones37 wrote:
For the 10 minutes it would take, ide put a jack under the axle and get the tire off the ground.Then you could put a bar under the tire and rock it and see if its a bearing .Check lug nuts,might have a couple loose ones.For the little time it will take to check all wheels its worth the piece of mind.Before i spent 350 on a shop ide do some looking first.its pretty easy to pull bearings,clean and repack.Its a little messy but not to hard.

I've got the weekend to play with this and will try the few things you've suggested. My appointment for work is two weeks away so I have time to play with this to the limits of my mechanical abilities and resources.

LaunchnRetrieve
Explorer
Explorer
subcamper wrote:
Were there any noises when drove it to put it into storage? The bearings certainly wouldn't have worn while parked in storage.

I agree with the other posters that suspect something with the brakes/magnets. Maybe a piece of hardware broke or fell off into the drum.

Steve

Was not aware of any noises when I last towed it.

LaunchnRetrieve
Explorer
Explorer
jamesu wrote:
I just spent $275 to have wheels packed and brakes checked. Beats the $350 another guy quoted here. DIY will save you $, but I don't do DIY anymore.

James, we have the same truck! ๐Ÿ™‚
I wonder if the price difference has to do with me being in California and in the Bay Area on top of that.

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
I just spent $275 to have wheels packed and brakes checked. Beats the $350 another guy quoted here. DIY will save you $, but I don't do DIY anymore.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

SJones37
Explorer
Explorer
For the 10 minutes it would take, ide put a jack under the axle and get the tire off the ground.Then you could put a bar under the tire and rock it and see if its a bearing .Check lug nuts,might have a couple loose ones.For the little time it will take to check all wheels its worth the piece of mind.Before i spent 350 on a shop ide do some looking first.its pretty easy to pull bearings,clean and repack.Its a little messy but not to hard.
2010 1500 Silverado Z71
2013 Forest River Cherokee 245Q

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Were there any noises when drove it to put it into storage? The bearings certainly wouldn't have worn while parked in storage.

I agree with the other posters that suspect something with the brakes/magnets. Maybe a piece of hardware broke or fell off into the drum.

Steve

LaunchnRetrieve
Explorer
Explorer
Always learn something from each post. To be honest, the clanking noise fits more with something else. I've had bearings go before and that was more of a screeching sound. It'll be good to have bearings and brakes inspected and repaired/replaced as needed. I'll feel safer on the road. Once I get new tires I'll feel indestructable.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
It's NEVER a bad idea to "inspect" anything that is in question. That would be the defining moment for evaluating all of those items.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Looseness isn't necessarily a sign you need new bearings. They may just need adjusting but first they need to be cleaned and inspected.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
The clunking noise may have been from your magnet hitting the drum dependin on how hard you shook the tires/wheels. Did you feel the wheel wobble on the axle ? If so that would indicate the need for some sort of bearing work. For awhile a lot of new TT were coming from the factory with loose drums. For some reason the axles were being delivered without the drums being properly tightened onto the axle. I remember reading many posts where several rv'ers had discovered the drums weren't tight and bearing were ruined.

uzikaduzi
Explorer
Explorer
i guess i have no idea what labor is these days but that seems expensive

jasult
Explorer
Explorer
ten years old and not much mileage would call for pulling the drums and check that the shoes are still attached as they were bonded on. I found one of my shoes yesterday just laying in the drum when i pulled it. I replaced the entire backing plate with preinstalled shoes,springs and adjusters.
Jim & Georgeanne + Lucie the beagle
"excavator" on the DieselStop.Com
1999 F350 CC LB Hydra chip
1996 F250 Powerstroke, Tony tunes, BTS trans
1995 Fleetwood Wildness 30 ft 5ver

Our Camping Pics and 5ver Album here
Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
Loose play CAN be an indicator but to be sure you need to pull them and inspect, which I would do
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150