cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to place jack when changing flat tire?

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
On my last camper to change a flat, I always used a bottle jack under the frame to jack up the travel trailer. It had normal dual axles. My new camper (Forest River Vibe) has spread axles. Also, on the curb side, there is a propane line attached to the bottom of the frame running all the way to the rear bumper mounted grill. Where would be the best location to place the bottle jack if and when I need to change a flat? I'd rather have this figured out ahead of time. Thanks.
21 REPLIES 21

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
I'd suggest to place the jack underneath the spring shackle.

SPring shackle is the absolute worst place for jack placement. The shackle idea is BAD, VERY BAD.
Bob

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I'd carry ramp and blocks and drive up on it. To hell with jacking. I have 2 plastic 12,000 lb ramps.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
For better or worse I jack on the U-bolt.

If replacing suspension... jack on the frame and use jack stands.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer

This is a pic of my F250's screw jack under the spring perch U bolt of our 2007 KZ 5th wheel. I had a brake grabbing on one wheel so I decided to give all four a quick check and adjustment while in the campground on hard clay ground. The long handle to the screw jack made it a lot easier than the short handled hydraulic bottle jack I'd been using. No stress on the suspension, chassis or DW inside blending me up a frozen strawberry Margarita.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
All you need to do is lift one end of the axle instead of the whole side of the trailer.

Jacking under the axle next to the U bolt or the U bolt itself on a std leaf spring suspension works fine and there will be no damage to the axle.

If your going to lift one side of the trailer from the frame I would suggest using two jacks next to the farthest apart spring hangers. That way less chance of a bent frame from a single jack point on a heavy trailer.

Whatever method you use make a dry run at home.

Agree with all this. Practice at home! I found that the jack for my truck works fine to change a tire on my trailer - actually, the extended handle for reaching under the truck is perfect for getting under the axle of my TT.

Make sure you carry a socket and/or lug wrench that fits the lug nuts on your TT!

And... check the air pressure in your spare tire.

IPegasus
Explorer
Explorer
After my first flat tire we bought the Anderson rapid jack. We have used this three times now. My wife and I are like a nascar pit crew on changing a tire.
Check out this link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jE_x_TjlOI
2015 Chevrolet 2500HD CC LTZ 4x4 Duramax
Reese DC HP, Husky Brute 4500
1999 Wilderness GL 27F

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
The manufacturer suggests the frame on my Dutchmen. It works okay. I prefer the aforementioned shackle.

A quick call to the manufacturer might be in order.

The important thing is to practice changing the tire, beforehand.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
i've been researching this as well...where do you jack on a single axle trailer? right under the leaf spring?
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
All you need to do is lift one end of the axle instead of the whole side of the trailer.

Jacking under the axle next to the U bolt or the U bolt itself on a std leaf spring suspension works fine and there will be no damage to the axle.

If your going to lift one side of the trailer from the frame I would suggest using two jacks next to the farthest apart spring hangers. That way less chance of a bent frame from a single jack point on a heavy trailer.

Whatever method you use make a dry run at home.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Toddupton wrote:
The frame, always the frame and never the axle.

On Lippert manufactured frames, that used to be their instruction. Now, they are okay with using jacking the tire off the ground when you are changing a tire as long as you are right at the spring U-bolts. In fact, I was at a rally last month and the Lippert techs were doing some upgrades for folks, and they were using the axles to lift it.

Lifting by the frame is nearly impossible to do on the side of the road without special jacks or cribbing material. In fact, there is no reason to lift the entire weight of one side of the coach when you only want to pull one wheel off.

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
If you used the frame, a typical bottle jack would run out of extension long before the tire was off the ground.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
I put my bottle jack under the axle, directly under the spring and just barely lift the tire off the ground. Always have, always will. May not be according to recommendations. But more stable than using blocks and/or extending the jack enough to lift the frame enough to get that same tire off the ground.

What he said x2. Just make sure it is under the spring. Been doing this for 45 years. No damage so far so I think I will continue.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Where I use to work we sold equipment trailers, 6 - 12 ton. They came from the factory with no tires and stacked up with blocks of wood under the axle at the spring. Most had dexter axles, 3 and 4 ton, same as most campers.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Toddupton wrote:
The frame, always the frame and never the axle.

Why do you say that?

I've always placed the bottle jack at the U-bolts and have never had an issue. Seems to be the case with most other responders too.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU