cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

White lithium grease for the hitch?

Robby9
Explorer
Explorer
What do you think about using white lithium spray grease for the hitch ball and the spring bars? I've got the spray handy and don't want to open a whole tube of grease for this small job. Thanks.
31 REPLIES 31

clutch1
Explorer
Explorer
I use motorcycle chain lube in a spray can. A small 6 or 8 ounce can will last for years.
2017 Silverado 1500 5.3 well equiped with max tow package. 2011 Jayco Eagle 330RLTS.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
daveyboy12 wrote:
I've used crisco w/o any issues
Heh, good stuff? FWIW, I transported many million gallons of fancy tallow. Since I had an abundant supply, I used it to grease some threaded fittings open to the weather. It worked pretty well as a protectant but the salt within the tallow made a lot of rust.

I'm thinking the spray lithium would be a better choice.;)
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Robby9
Explorer
Explorer
daveyboy12 wrote:

Flies?

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
brirene wrote:
I used white lithium for thousands of miles when I had my tt's. Worked fine for me.

X2 on TT and horse trailer

daveyboy12
Explorer
Explorer

GMT830
Explorer
Explorer
Robby9 wrote:
The Reese grease in a tube sounds convenient to keep in the TT tool box. I'll look for some.

If I don't keep the weight bars lubed they squeak and groan and are generally annoying.

I dragged my camper about 6 miles round trip to the scales. I didn't put any lube on, just the remaining Fluid Film from two weeks ago. All kinds of banging and clanging going on back there.

I'll be grabbing some of the Reese stuff before we go out in two weeks.
Lena - 02 Yukon XL Denali
TT - Wilderness 29L

HJGyswyt
Explorer
Explorer
I bought an old second hand trailer from the early 70's and the coupler got so thin it wore through and I had to build it up with my welder to close the hole. So I do think lubricant of some type is necessary.

And equalizer bars definitely need lubrication. When I sold our previous trailer with it's Draw Tight hitch the bars has pretty significant wear top and bottom where the leverage was applied. And that was with me greasing them.

No one likes grease on pant legs, but the first thing I do after unhitching is pull the hitch out of the receiver and store it along with the equalizer bars.

All the best, Hans
2003 GMC 2500HD CC Longbox SW/2002 Wilcat Bunkhouse 30'
/1987 Western Wildderness 11' Alpine Truck Camper/1971 MacGregor Venture Sailboat

Rig Pictures, click on this link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
What I have noticed is that as my TTs have gotten heavier over the years, is that grease becomes more necessary. A 14K ball isn't all that cheap, so I grease it. I use wheel bearing grease and a disposable rubber glove. Works well.

You are right, the heavy duty balls aren't cheap. Ruining a welded on coupler is even more expensive. Heavy loads without grease will gall the ball and the coupler. I use Reese grease, but I'm sure there are many other grease alternatives that will work fine.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

Robby9
Explorer
Explorer
The Reese grease in a tube sounds convenient to keep in the TT tool box. I'll look for some.

If I don't keep the weight bars lubed they squeak and groan and are generally annoying.

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
I use a little silicon grease once a year and it seems to last all year. I just happen to have a tube is why I started using it instead of something else. I also pull my receiver when ever I a hook the trailer and then put a plastic bag over the end and drop it in a denim bag for storage behind the seat.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
I used white lithium for thousands of miles when I had my tt's. Worked fine for me.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
What I have noticed is that as my TTs have gotten heavier over the years, is that grease becomes more necessary. A 14K ball isn't all that cheap, so I grease it. I use wheel bearing grease and a disposable rubber glove. Works well.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I've read a number of items to address ball gall. Some use waxed paper, others use a lithium grease. Still others just don't bother.

Pretty much any lubricant that is tenacious should do the job.

GMT830
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Robby9 wrote:
What do you think about using white lithium spray grease for the hitch ball and the spring bars? I've got the spray handy and don't want to open a whole tube of grease for this small job. Thanks.

It should be fine. An EP (extreme pressure) grease would be be best, but any grease is better than nothing.

Apparently Reese sells an EP product with Teflon. Comes in a toothpaste tube. Over time is saturates the metal so less is required each use. I'm going to get some for the ball/coupler and spring bar pressure points.

I use Fluid Film for everything else.
Lena - 02 Yukon XL Denali
TT - Wilderness 29L

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I too have never put anything on my ball.

You could put it in the ball but I would not put it on the bars. That stuff gets like glue when it dries out. I learn the hard way when I used it on my tool box slides.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln