cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who actually enjoys towing?

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Me personally, I really enjoy that part of a trip. I like to hear my truck work, and I have a standard, so that makes it more of an interactive experience. I canโ€™t stop fiddling with things, so every trip I think about something new I want to try, or something to add to the truck. I just added an EGT and boost gauge and new tires to my truck, so this trip will be about what temps I am actually running, and to see how the new tires do; maybe before my next trip I will install a tuner.

So for those of you that enjoy that part of a trip, what do you enjoy most?
58 REPLIES 58

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I love driving. Period. I love towing any of the trailers behind any of the three trucks.

Mostly I just love machines. I enjoy the motorcycles, tractor, and the lawnmower. I love the "machine" that is my cameras and lenses.
I love the fit, feel and finish of using handguns and rifles.
I was lucky enough to make a living as a machinist, so I love the hand and machine tools that go along with that. Woodworking is a pastime and I love the tools used and beauty of the wood.

So yes....I do enjoy very much towing a trailer.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
I like towing....for a while, then I wish I could trade for the SRT, get there 3 hours earlier, make the boy drive the truck and have 8 beers in me when he rolls up with the camper!

LOL, we think the same!
Towing is OK but carving through the passes with the SRT rocks!

HA! You ain't carving through anything with a SRT unless maybe its a Viper. LOL
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
I like it now that I have a Duramax 2500HD crew cab. I did an acceleration test and my queen mattress slid off the bunk. It is a pleasure to tow with this truck. Towing with a Tahoe meant jouncing and bump steering and high revving and just general fatigue at the end of the trip. The Duramax just does everything right- it goes where I point it, it is stable, lots of power without drama, and the whole family is comfortable. Truck is still comfortable empty, too. Plus, exhaust brake! I tow all over the Pacific NW, and not having to be on my brakes all the time really is good. At 76k my truck's OEM brake pads are still barely worn.

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
I have thought about that when reading reviews of the new trucks, I like to work my truck and have the need to down shift from time to time, with a new truck thereโ€™s not nearly as much to do. Maybe Iโ€™ll know in another 17-18 years when I buy me a 2017-2018 diesel.

silverfz
Explorer
Explorer
We know when you tow you should not feel like your towing as per rv.net collective wisdom. Does that mean you asking who likes to drive around in the truck empty?
2014 avenger 28 bhs
2008 Toyota tundra crew max
guarded by bear the mini dashound
running from payload police edition

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I enjoy towing our Alpenlite. If the fifth and truck are a good match as ours is it helps for a nice tow.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Nah, love motorcycling, but towing is a chore to be done until we get where we're going. Kind of like driving a car, just another chore.

I actually love getting out towing or riding my Harley.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
For the most part I like the towing. Things I don't like are tighter areas and having to worry about tail swing, or worrying about getting into a place and not getting back out etc.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
I like towing....for a while, then I wish I could trade for the SRT, get there 3 hours earlier, make the boy drive the truck and have 8 beers in me when he rolls up with the camper!

LOL, we think the same!
Towing is OK but carving through the passes with the SRT rocks!

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like towing better than driving the motorhome, generally speaking. It's a shade slower to tow, or I keep the speed down to around the speed limit. But, I am more comfortable in the Suburban than I was in the motorhome. After about 4 hours in the motorhome I started getting leg cramps bad. I can go all day in the Suburban.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jerem0621 wrote:
I love towing. I really enjoy it. So much so that Iโ€™m putting a hitch on my Fusion so that I can tow a small utility trailer.

You love towing too much.....lol.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
LadyRVer wrote:
I love towing a trailer or driving a motorhome... whichever I have at the time.. I enjoy the scenery and driving as much as the destination.

DW and I also. Well, interstate highways often aren't the most scenic etc. And going through big cities isn't exactly scenic.

But we usually take secondary roads, enjoy the scenery, stop at anything that looks interesting along the way, give business to small towns.

Now, we do time our towing trips when possible to avoid rush hour in major cities, and not drive at night.

Worst part of any trip east is getting from the west side of portland to 84 or 26 on the west side. Anymore portland traffic is rush hour 24/7

Much more enjoyable than taking an airplane ride, or staying in motels.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
I generally enjoy towing unless the wind is gusting 50mph, which is every other day out here.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
souraider wrote:
Overall I enjoy the drive. I have backed down a lot from my younger days when it was "just get there as quick as possible." I have learned to slow down,relax, and try to keep it under 300 miles a day. Still don't like going through major metro areas, but I try to time it to miss the rush hours.

x2 for me also

my wife and i are never in a rush to get from a to b

i have found that towing makes the time seem to pass quicker because im concentrating more on driving than i would just driving a car to a destination.