cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wierd Discovery

ken07734
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I have my TT in storage in between weekends and yesterday I stopped by to drop off a number of items we just bought at CW for our next trip this weekend and to my surprise I found a few closets open, the refrigerator doors that we left open were closed tight and the fuse panel door was open!. I checked the locks and they didn't looked tampered with and the doors were locked when I arrived. I also leave a 2.5 gallon jug of water in the bathtub in case I needc to use the facitlities while there or need to make some coffee what have you and there seemed to be some missing. I'm thinking either someone is sleeping in ti at night or maybe thge heat build up caused a number items to expand and created movement as well as the water evaporating. I wonder if anyone else has experienced thnis stuff before?
13 REPLIES 13

nolra
Explorer
Explorer
I'd set a game cam in the re someplace. I've used my game cam more for survelance than anything else.
03 Dodge 2500 Cummins SB Quad
Casita 17" with D rated LT's
2004 AWD Astro van (solo camper) Lifted, locked, "E" AT/KOs.

Photo gallery

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
Garden gnomes...there evil.

KCFDCapt
Explorer
Explorer
Does your unit have a laundry chute to the basement? If so, it is a simple matter to open the compartment door with the universal key, climb up through the laundry chute to the inside, and help themselves to what ever is there. No need to open a window, a door, or pick a lock. You might try putting a game camera, the kind hunters use to detect activity, inside the unit. If someone shows up, you have their picture.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually I like having a same key the neighbor campers have. Sure makes it easy to get in the trailer if you misplaced the key. We don't usually have anything of personal value in our trailer anyway...

We park our trailer at home in CAMP BACKYARD when not on the road. I'm sure if we had to leave our trailer unattended somewhere I would have a different opinion.

We actually have never gotten locked out but have helped several campers get into their trailer without having to use a large screwdriver or small crowbar... They are all amazed that I can open their trailer to allow them to get back. May not be the front door but there is usually a non-destructive way to get inside.

just my thoughts
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

ArticFox_676
Explorer
Explorer
Please let us know what you find out. This is quite a mystery. For those of us with TT in storage it really makes you stop a think.

I know I always look for critters when I open the door (haven't seen any) but never saw any other disturbance.

Keep in touch.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Probably a kid or kids. Who else would leave doors open and other signs of entry? Thanks for pointing out that the fuse panel might not be as good a place to hide something as I had thought. Now, if I only had something worth hiding. ๐Ÿ™‚

ken07734
Explorer
Explorer
The key's I have are kinda useless. I have two sets of keys, each set has two keys and 1 key will unlock the bathroom door and the deadbolt and the other will work the main door and deadbolt so it really is useless to have 1 key work both the door lock and the deadbolt. If someone has a key that fits than they may be useing my camper for a respit. I WILL be making a surprise visit and asking the storage place to review video.

anyone know what chevy chase and the gang are doing these days?

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
If they havenโ€™t damaged or taken anything consider yourself luckyโ€ฆ a small pry bar will open any of them quicklyโ€ฆ

If their skinny they can get in through the outdoor baggage compartments to the under bed or under dinette seatโ€ฆ everyone has a 751 key that fits the baggage doorsโ€ฆ, and anyone with the same numbered key can unlock and lock your door and deadboltโ€ฆ

A vault they are notโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
That's creepy. Hope you get it figured out.
2020 Heartland Wilderness 2500RL
2013 Ford F-150 3.5L Eccoboost Supercrew 4x4, Max tow package
2 Honda 2000 watt Generators
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan
Days camped so far in 2020: 0

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Did you check that the levers are locked in place on the windows?

One could have been not locked and anyone can open those windows from the outside go in and then close them back up from the outside.

I know there's been a couple of times I have closed the windows prior to leaving so when I got ready to leave I closed and locked the ones already opened and forgot to check the lock lever on the ones that were already closed. Just a thought.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does your TT door have a deadbolt (with key) in addition to the regular lock? If so, use it. The regular door locks are not individual to each trailer, so anyone with a key to another TT of same make could get in that way. Deadbolt locks areindividual to each trailer, however. At least, that's what our dealer told us. Whenever we left our TT there for service, he asked us to unlock the deadbolts but leave the other locks locked, since he had a master key & could get in if need be.

Another possibility is that someone is pretty good at picking locks. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Squealers
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds strange to me too. It is pretty common knowledge that RV keys/locks are not the most secure in the industry. Plus most folks have master keys...repair facilities, etc.

Here is a simple trick to see if your doors are being opened by someone other than you....take a small piece of scotch tape and put it in a location (top of the door) which wouldn't be easily noticed. The tape should be placed over the seal.

If the tape is broken or disturbed, someone is getting in. If it stays secure, and you still see changes inside the rig, you need a ghostbuster.
2006 Four Winds Hurricane 34N
2014 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 Toad

USAF Veteran. 75-81 SAC "Giant Talk" ATC-
Combat Crew Communications

Squealers = Steelers & Arkansas Razorbacks Fan

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't. Must be a spook.