cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winter weather without winterizing?

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
I've had my 2007 NL 10'2"QRR for around 1.5 years. Last winter the camper was at the dealer for some work and all they had me do was drain the water and run air through the system. Neither I nor they put coolant in the lines. I don't want to winterize it now since I do plan on using it over the next couple months for a few weekends but the weather right now is down into the mid-20's with highs in the 40's. I have an oil heater in the camper and all the cabinets open, but that doesn't circulate any air through the basement where the fresh water tank is located. Is there any way to keep things from getting too cold without running the HVAC? I was thinking that all that's needed is a way to circulate the air so perhaps using some kind of an inline duct booster fan attached to and sealed over the furnace outlet? Or, run an inline booster fan with a hose running down under the sink?

Right now I simply turned on the light in the tank drain compartment which adds around 4W right under the black tank. I don't think this is a sufficient solution if it gets really cold, it's just all I have at the moment.

We only get temps in the 20's for a couple weeks in November or December and then again in February time frame. Outside of that, we only see mid to upper 30's as a low. I really don't want to run the HVAC since it burns a lot of propane and puts hours on the furnace for no real reason though it would keep things from freezing.
47 REPLIES 47

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lot of electric heaters have anti-freezing setting. I would rather use those than propane, where too many things can go wrong.
That assuming you don't have to worry about heating holding tanks, that have separate compartment.

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
I can't say if there's other issues with running the heat unattended for longer periods. It feels like a bad idea, but maybe it's ok.

Sliding-into-ho
Explorer
Explorer
If that's the only downside, then it seems like a great solution for a NL (which sips LPG very slowly once it's up to 45° on the 27-38° nights that we average during the winter). I also leave a Dry Wave plugged in and get a modest amount of heat from that.
2017 F-350, CC/LB/SRW
2018 Northern Lite 9-6 SE
Upper StableLoads (for now)
Nokian LT2 Studs

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
Propane will run out eventually.

Sliding-into-ho
Explorer
Explorer
Any reason it would be bad just to leave it plugged in with the battery disconnected and the thermostat set at 45° ?
2017 F-350, CC/LB/SRW
2018 Northern Lite 9-6 SE
Upper StableLoads (for now)
Nokian LT2 Studs

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
I drain the HW tank and lines, I add antifreeze to the drains, I open all cabinets, and run a space heater on anti-freeze setting and dehumidifier. I have done this for years without issue.
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Fwiw, windshield washer fluid makes good cheap antifreeze for winterizing non potable systems. 99cents a gallon at Home Depot last weekend.
Been using it in the boat ballast and heater and camper drains and tanks for years.

And if you’re camping in the real cold with no running water, it makes good toilet flushing fluid.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Every winter I blow out my water lines with 40lbs of air, open all drains (including water heater) and fill tank, then pour some RV anti-freeze into all the sinks and toilet. Make sure you don't forget the outside faucet. That's it! Takes about 20 minutes. No anti-freeze in the lines or water heater. Very easy to do and peace of mind.

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
coolant should have been antifreeze. I was told when purchasing the unit that a small amount of antifreeze in the pump and down drains was sufficient. But, if I do that then it requires flushing prior to use. If I want to head out for a quick trip, doing a bunch of setup isn't ideal. Adding water takes 10min so it's not a big deal. It's not generally that cold for more than a few hours.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
bkenobi wrote:
I was told by people from east of the mountains that winterizing is critical but temps don't get as cold on the west side.

I was on the west side for 4 years with my camper, I blew out the line sand dumped antifreeze in the drains.

I'm now in the east side. I use the same technique, plus I run a small amount of antifreeze through the pump.

Winterizing my truck camper
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
bkenobi wrote:
Neither I nor they put coolant in the lines.

I wouldn't want coolant in the lines either.

RV Antifreeze would be OK.

I've been using the "blow out the lines" technique for years and have been fine with that. I also dump some RV Antifreeze in the sink and shower drains.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
I never use the shower, but that's a good point. I should put some down the shower and bathroom drains just in case. The kitchen sink will be fine since cabinets are open, but bathroom isn't exposed either.

I opened the drains last night. I decided 30ish gallons of water is cheaper and easier to replace than busted pipes. i'll blow them out today.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
GordonThree wrote:
What's the question?

If you've blown out the lines, what's left to freeze?

The drain traps... pour a little antifreeze down the sinks and the shower.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
In the time it's taken between your 2 posts in this thread, you could have winterized it....twice.
Going to be low 20s here tonight and a few spots haven't lost frost in about 3 days.
But if you've gambled and won, come tomorrow morning, then I guess you're fine.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

path1
Explorer
Explorer
If it makes you feel better winterize it.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"