cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wobbly Dinette Table

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
What have you done to stabilize a wobbly dinette table? CW used to sell some kind of clamp, but I don't see it on their web site anymore.

Thanks.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
15 REPLIES 15

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:

Just getting back from a camping trip so haven't been around. The lance legs look very nice - where did you get them? There is about an 1.5 inch gap between the table and the wall so I will have to come up with a way to temporarily attach the table to the wall.

Our KZ dealer also sells Lance so they just ordered them in along with a shipment of Lance parts. I don't know if they're available from anyone other than a Lance dealer. I think they are around $100 for one leg and upper & lower flanges.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
myredracer wrote:
In a previous TT, I removed the standard wobbly legs and flanges. I attached the table to the outside wall with a detachable bracket and installed a single folding leg. The parts are readily available standard RV items. The problem going this route is that you will end up with holes in the flooring. Didn't matter to us though because we were installing laminate planks.

In our current TT, we installed Lance table legs and flanges. This is very stable, but attaching the table to the exterior wall is even stronger (providing the exterior wall doesn't flex). We went with the Lance legs because we would have had exposed screw holes from the old flanges.

Just getting back from a camping trip so haven't been around. The lance legs look very nice - where did you get them? There is about an 1.5 inch gap between the table and the wall so I will have to come up with a way to temporarily attach the table to the wall.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
On a previous camper I used a nicely painted 2x4 with Velcro on the wide surface that held it to the wall. Velcro on its narrow surface held the end of the table. The inner post was removed. Worked very well.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Ours has never wobbled due to a wall support but talked to a man who stopped over at a campground who put a piece of wood 1x3 against the wall from the floor up for the table top to rest on. I did not ask how he had attacted the strip of wood to the wall.

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
Our dinette has a single post and a strip of wood on the wall, I got some Velcro tape and applied it to the wood strip and the bottom of the table. It's working so far.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the legs with these:

http://www.factoryrvsurplus.com/products.php?product_id=1965

and we love it. The table is very steady, can be moved about, even taken outside if you want. For travel just fold the legs and place the table as like to make a bed. The picture shows cream color but they are actually black.
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
In a previous TT, I removed the standard wobbly legs and flanges. I attached the table to the outside wall with a detachable bracket and installed a single folding leg. The parts are readily available standard RV items. The problem going this route is that you will end up with holes in the flooring. Didn't matter to us though because we were installing laminate planks.

In our current TT, we installed Lance table legs and flanges. This is very stable, but attaching the table to the exterior wall is even stronger (providing the exterior wall doesn't flex). We went with the Lance legs because we would have had exposed screw holes from the old flanges.

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
I just slam the Trailer Life directory on the table above the 2 posts to tighten it. Only need to do it a couple times a year.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks good SoundGuy. We don't use the table as a bed, but it may be in the future when my son gets old enough to bring a friend. I'll look into your solution as well but maybe try to find some kind of latch to replace the L brackets in the second picture.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
What have you done to stabilize a wobbly dinette table?

SoundGuy wrote:
Depends. If the table is located alongside a wall then it's an easy fix, one I did myself in our previous KZ Spree, but if it's a table that's part of a U shaped dinette with no wall next to it then that would require an entirely different approach. Whatchagot? :@

2012Coleman wrote:
Table is located alongside a wall - not U-shaped.

That's easy then ... pics of my solution are here and here. I wouldn't waste the effort fooling with those pedestals, trying to make them tighter, as they'll just loosen up again. Secure the table edge to the wall and it'll be dead solid ... only downside is if you want to use the table as a bed - with a triple bunk bed camper we didn't so it was a perfect solution for us.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
DutchmenSport - I'll give that a try, but am wondering if they will slip back to the wobbly position during use.

Another thing to consider, take the table down when traveling. The rocking of the camper is causing the weight of the table to wiggle, causing the aluminum posts to bend inward. By simply taking the table down, the legs will be spared. We did this with our Springdale from delivery to the day we sold it. The legs were still solid and never wiggled. Our current camper has a stand alone table now.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport - I'll give that a try, but am wondering if they will slip back to the wobbly position during use.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you table sits on 2 aluminum posts that slip into a sleeve on the floor and another sleeve under the table, you can pull the crimped ends of the aluminum posts out just a little (very little), making them fit more snug in the sleeves.

Or, you can attach mount on the side of the wall that will enable the table to dismount. Put a folding leg on the table so you can still use the table as a bed.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
What have you done to stabilize a wobbly dinette table?

Depends. If the table is located alongside a wall then it's an easy fix, one I did myself in our previous KZ Spree, but if it's a table that's part of a U shaped dinette with no wall next to it then that would require an entirely different approach. Whatchagot? :@
Table is located alongside a wall - not U-shaped.