cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Word is out on L4 as standard full size pickup engine for GM

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reported in May 21st issue of Automotive News.
L4 with 310 HP will be standard engine in upcoming full size Chevy and GMC pickups. GM expects that the V8 will be the overwhelming choice however. The 4.3 V6 with it's lower hp and torque numbers will go away.
Puma 30RKSS
44 REPLIES 44

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
ramyankee wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
I'd rather have my old 8.1L engine that didn't have to downshift going up the slightest rise when towing.

With you there... I LOVE my 8.1.

I am guessing you two have never driven a turbo vehicle before. They don't hardly downshift either.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
I'd rather have my old 8.1L engine that didn't have to downshift going up the slightest rise when towing.

With you there... I LOVE my 8.1.
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder how long it will be before they put particulate filters on these engines due to how much PM they produce.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the idea of the 2.7 liter turbo 4 cylinder as the base engine in the new Chevy pickup. As the previous poster indicated a turbo is good for higher elevation and the hp/torque ratings coming out of that 2.7 turbo '4' look good.

Earlier, I felt that a turbo was almost a service item, something that might have to be replaced before the life of the engine was over. But in the past few years I've changed my mind, given the durability of the Ford 3.5 turbo...that engine from what I've read seems to be durable and reliable.

The other thing I like about the Chevy turbo gas engine is from what I've watched on video, read, etc...this motor seems to have very good torque...low end and mid range...good for a truck. Now I'm waiting to see what MPG will be...city, highway, combined, towing.

I also had the older 4.3 liter V6...the Chevy 350 V8 with two cylinders cut off. Good torquey engine..I had the Vortec heads (1997) variety...very reliable, durable and for it's small cubes..towed reasonably well.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
gbopp wrote:
I've had several 4.3 V-6 engines in different vehicles, including a full size truck. I thought they were great engines and always worked well.
I'm sure the new 4 cylinder will be as good and, probably better.
I had a 4.3 in a 94 GMC and it did fine solo on flat lands but when you got to high elevation it was anemic. With a turbo elevation should not be as big of a problem.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I've had several 4.3 V-6 engines in different vehicles, including a full size truck. I thought they were great engines and always worked well.
I'm sure the new 4 cylinder will be as good and, probably better.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
It's amazing the HP they can get out of these small engines. Not only do they make a lot of power they seem to hold up, hope that's the case with the new GM 4 cylinder. These engines are producing the power of a small V-8 from just a few decades ago.

They have definitely figured out the turbocharging thing. Just bought a 2014 Chevy Cruze with 1.4L four cylinder turbo. This thing makes its best power in the low-mid range. It runs great, no turbo lag, plenty of juice from idle on up. The only issue I have is the small displacement motor doesn't warm up very quickly in the dead of winter.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Makes sense, I think they sold very few V6's in full sized P/U's.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's amazing the HP they can get out of these small engines. Not only do they make a lot of power they seem to hold up, hope that's the case with the new GM 4 cylinder. These engines are producing the power of a small V-8 from just a few decades ago.

blt2ski
My 81 with a 292 I 6 would out pull my 89 with a mountain climbing 454 in it. Quite frequently mind you. At low speeds, up steeper grade etc. Due to better gearing in the trans, and RA. Just because it has a small disp motor, does not mean it will not pull well. Set it up with the right transmission, it will do fine. Probably getting twice to three times the empty mpg than a BB8 too!

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
The truck in my sig is rated 300/350 and it pulls fine.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Its a very sophisticated engine ,bet it will do fine.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

RasMouSein
Explorer
Explorer
that gaz 4 cylindre with a diesel torque curve !!!
It's a hobby for me to make things better!
See I was able to post using full words!!
Have a nice day ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 KZ, Sportsmen Classic 181BHS. 430Amp-h, Trimetric, 2kw Honda, Iota DLS-55_IQ4

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Cue up the objections from the traditionalists.

My first Dodge 3500 only had 215 hp.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...