cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

yose guys lied to me !

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
When ST tires are spoken of it always comes up that they have a speed rating of 65 MPH . The tires that I am looking at have a speed rating of 106 MPH .Carlisle st 205 75 15 .
If I had them last summer when I went to Maine I could have got there twice as fast !
Many , many everyday ST tires have a speed rating in the 80 MPH range ,look it up !
If you see a Ram truck with a 26 foot trailer going a 100 MPH it will be me !
83 REPLIES 83

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
hohenwald48 wrote:
Another misprint

http://www.amazon.com/75R15-Freestar-Radial-Trailer-2257515/dp/B00N4CB9T2/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1457659194&sr=8-12&keywords=st+tires

I've been doing some research and have found many ST tires with speed ratings in excess of 65MPH. I suppose the manufacturers could be lying and the tire sellers could be mistaken and the ads could be misprints but it seems unlikely all those could be true for all the over 65 MPH tires I've found.

Perhaps some folks just think it not possible for things to change from what the believe to be true.

Remember, ST tires are used on things other than travel trailers and I've seen plenty of bass boats going down the road way faster than 65 MPH.

The tires at this link say speed rating of J. According to Discount tire, speed rating of J is 62 MPH

http://m.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoSpeedRating.do

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
the carsilie site doesn't list a speed rating on there website for ST tires, at least that I could find, same with Maxxis.

I wonder how many seller sites list "R" for speed rating , not realizing that the "R" in tire designation means "radial". and the speed rating is stamped in code on the side of the tire.

So, until I either (a) see a mfg website with a speed rating over "Q" or 65mph for an ST tire, I'll not be convinced that there are ST tires rated above 65mph.
or (b) have someone post a picture of an ST tire showing a speed rating other than "Q" or 65 mph.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
xxxx
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Vulcanmars
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
I see into your future.......:B

I have one that looks just like that. I never made it past 65 mph...
Mars
04 V10 F250 SDCC 4X4
2016 Wildwood 32BHDS

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
xxxx

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like we have a troll here. The Amazon ad is a misprint and common sense would tell you that.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
What would the fuel mileage be at 106 pulling a large trailer. I'm about 7.8 mpg at 65. So I would imagine maybe 1.5-2 mpg?!

Sounds reasonable!!!!!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
xxxx

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW Tirerack speed is discussed at the bottom of the article.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
you were mistaken, if it was on the internet it has to be the truth

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
well, that "link" took me only to Amazon Business login page.

Im thinking the ST tire manufacturers have been reading this website, and realize they are losing sales, so, what do we do.. lets change the speed rating, so people will quit buying LT's. After all, no one will really run 106MPH towing a trailer, so we don't have to REALLY worry about it, and we can recoup some of our lost sales.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
ktmrfs wrote:
phillyg wrote:
So, apparently things are changing in the ST world. I just looked up the Maxxis M8008 ST Radial Trailer Tire - 235/80R16, and its speed rating is "R", which is indeed 106mph. I don't know what technological marvels changed the fairly standard 65mph speed rating from yesteryear. But I guess it's a good thing. I'll probably still drive 65, maybe up to 70 if passing, because that's where I feel comfortable.

I looked and couldn't find a speed rating for the maxxis. links to tire dealers all show Q for the speed rating (65) any chance you could post a link??

Yea, I found it at http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_447283002_2?ie=UTF8&node=11261610011&ref=b2b_reg_ilm_2ds1&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=detail-ilm&pf_rd_r=1HYTYM0NT9AJAVA97ZKT&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=2407063002&pf_rd_i=B004QL6HYM.

Now, that's the only size I looked up because its what's on my FW, and I suppose it's possible that different sized tires have different ratings.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
phillyg wrote:
So, apparently things are changing in the ST world. I just looked up the Maxxis M8008 ST Radial Trailer Tire - 235/80R16, and its speed rating is "R", which is indeed 106mph. I don't know what technological marvels changed the fairly standard 65mph speed rating from yesteryear, but I guess it's a good thing. I'll probably still drive 65, maybe up to 70 if passing, because that's where I feel comfortable.

I looked and couldn't find a speed rating for the maxxis. links to tire dealers all show Q for the speed rating (65) any chance you could post a link??
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bob,
if you still have your Aerolite and you plan to upgrade tires, check the inside of the rim for your psi rating of the wheel. I would match a tire to that wheel. It doesn't pay to air down a new tire to try to match it to the wheel. You will lose the tire rating that you are trying to gain.

Bob

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
So, apparently things are changing in the ST world. I just looked up the Maxxis M8008 ST Radial Trailer Tire - 235/80R16, and its speed rating is "R", which is indeed 106mph. I don't know what technological marvels changed the fairly standard 65mph speed rating from yesteryear, but I guess it's a good thing. I'll probably still drive 65, maybe up to 70 if passing, because that's where I feel comfortable.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD