cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Great Lakes trip suggestions

Skipg
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving from Yuma Az in June 2014 for a trip to the Great Lakes . Would like any suggestions of routes around the lakes and RV parks. Would also like to go to Niagara Falls and need your input on this spot. Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
If you make it to Northwest Michigan, Ludington State Park is a jewel of the area, and perhaps the entire Michigan state park system. A gentle inland lake you can camp next to, a lazy river to tube on or fish in and of course, the golden sugar sand beaches and dunes of Lake Michigan.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Great Lakes encompasses a HUGE AREA. If you were to come along with what you have in mind to see and what you like to do and if you will have transportation other than a large RV, I and others should be able to come up with some good suggestions for both overnights and desired stops. There is a lot to see and do all around these lakes.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
ghs wrote:
We really enjoyed the Door Peninsula and Green Bay.

We are planning the trip to Green Bay from Reno next May for my 50th HS class reunion.

Born and raised in GB very familiar with the Door and will definitely get up there to enjoy that we still feel is one of the most beautiful areas to visit.

Suggest you visit RV Park Reviews for CG info as there are a lot of great places.

After the Door it's up to upper MI. then down through MI and from there who knows!!

So much to enjoy.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

jeb5
Explorer
Explorer
Holmes County (Millersburg) Largest Amish area in the USA. Eat, Shop, and Look!!!! Great 3 day experience.
Ford F-350, 6.7 Diesel, 4x4, Long Bed
Newmar Kountry Star 5th Wheel

ghs
Explorer
Explorer
We really enjoyed the Door Peninsula and Green Bay.

We visited three National Park sites, Isle Royale, Pictured Rocks, Sleeping Bear Dunes

The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn.

It has been a long time but the Maid of the Mist in Niagra Falls is a great perspective.
2004 Brave 32V
2001 Hyundai Accent

Skipg
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your time and great suggestions concerning our planned trip to the Great Lakes region .

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Put-In-Bay has a couple of campgrounds, one state operated with some HUs and one private with full HUs. If you have kids, I'd suggest you avoid July 4th week unless you want them to grow up really fast. Party time for the college crowd and it gets very drunk out. Most other times, its nearly deserted. A beautiful place dotted with private vacation cottages. The ferry from Port Clinton can accommodate RVs.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since Mike brought up the subject of state parks, I'll suggest that, if you can do without full hookups, you might enjoy camping in the state parks in the Great Lakes states. IMO, Michigan and Wisconsin have the best ones, but Ohio, Indiana and Illinois also offer some decent ones as well. Reservations well in advance are strongly advised, especially for weekends & holidays, and if the park is within 50 miles of a major city.

Some of our favorites near the big lakes include:

Wisconsin:
Kohler-Andrae SP
Peninsula SP
Point Beach State Forest

Michigan (only where we have stayed, but others are good too):
McLain SP
PJ Hoffmaster SP
Indian Lake SP

Indiana:
Indiana Dunes SP

Illinois:
Illinois Beach SP
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Just a suggestion, depending upon when in June you plan to travel, but you might consider starting out your trip in the lower Great Lakes. I've lived in northern Michigan and the Upper Peninsula and the early part of June can be a bit chilly. Of course there are never any guarantees regarding the weather, but you'll likely find better weather conditions further south in early June.

Additionally, the Great Lakes act as a climate buffer for areas along the coasts. The water is cooler in the late spring/early summer and that keeps those shoreline areas cooler as a result. This is why the west shoreline of Michigan has so many fruit/vegetable farms. The cooler weather helps to prevent plants from developing too quickly in the spring, thus helping to limit the amount of frost damage from a May or June frost.

June is strawberry time with cherries and blueberries coming along in either late June or early July. You can also find fresh asparagus in early June from SW Michigan, but you'll more likely find some just a bit further north south of Ludington and a bit north too.

I'd suggest starting along Lake Michigan in the south and work your way north from there. In the U.P. the southern portion will be warmer compared the Lake Superior. You may want to jump on some state park reservations. Michigan is switching to a new reservation system starting November 1, 2013. The system has usually allowed reserving a campsite 6 months out. Suggestion for consideration would be Van Buren SP near South Haven or Ludington State Park or possibly Charles Mears SP in Pentwater. You're more likely able to get into one of these in early June rather than late June. They are popular.

Good Luck with your trip planning.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Soo Lock in Sault Sainte Marie. The Aune-Osborn campground is nearby and right on the water to watch the traffic into and out of the locks.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Big topic. For starters try searching this Forum for `Great Lakes' and `Mackinac Island'.
Also do a Google search for `_____ tourism' and put the State you are interested in.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

mepboat
Explorer
Explorer
Check the web for the Great Lakes Circle Tour. Great place to start and there are signs directing you. Most of the areas are on out of the way roads and a good opportunity to get up close and personal. Next check out the Lake Erie Islands. Put In Bay Island, Kelley's Island and Canada's Pee Lee Island. They are on the west end of the Lake and you are able to reach the islands by ferry. Lots of history there and Put In Bay is a party island know as the Key West of the north. There are also many vineyards in Ohio worth checking out and many are along the way to Niagara Falls. While being in the area check out Cedar Point amusement park. Known as the roller coaster capital of the world, it is also a great time to see the shows and walk through the many different areas of the park. Anyway, that should give you a start. Happy motoring.