cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

299 vs.36

MainerBob
Explorer
Explorer
Tomorrow we will be heading East from Eureka, CA to Redding, CA and will have to take either 299 or 36. Anyone out there have a preference? We will be towing the 5'er in our signature. Thanks Bob
2007 Keystone Everest 293P, 32'
2006 Silvarado 2500HD Duramax, SRW, CC, Short Bed, 4x4
Sidewinder,16K Draw-Tite Slider
Chloe, Standard Poodle
Charlie, Tibetan Terrier
12 REPLIES 12

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
If coming from the south, CA20 over to US101 is a good alternative to 299.

Greyghost
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
take 299 but beware it's not too much better...watch for the motorcycles as they get pretty low to the ground leaning into the curves at 90mph.... Also, allow yourself plenty of time on 299. It looks like a short run but it will take you longer than you expect

My question for you is would you take the Executive over 299 to Eureka. I have to visit my Nephew in Hoopa and we'll be in the DP.
Pat & Roger Fisher
2005 American Tradition 40W
2012 Honda CRV EX-L 2WD,
Jewel, Clifford and Thor - Bouvier Des Flandres

MainerBob
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all of you. I guess it's unanimous. We'll take 299. Bob
2007 Keystone Everest 293P, 32'
2006 Silvarado 2500HD Duramax, SRW, CC, Short Bed, 4x4
Sidewinder,16K Draw-Tite Slider
Chloe, Standard Poodle
Charlie, Tibetan Terrier

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
CA 299 is the only way to go as others have pointed out; drove CA 36 a few years ago, once was enough, never again. Have driven CA 299 many times in all kinds of weather, just take your time and enjoy!

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoy 299. beautiful country. Takes us about 3hrs cruising along.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I drove Hwy 36 in my Porsche 930 and loved it!...lots of downshifting though....:B:B....highly doubt you'll enjoy it towing a 5vr...take 299 but beware it's not too much better...watch for the motorcycles as they get pretty low to the ground leaning into the curves at 90mph...:E. Also, allow yourself plenty of time on 299. It looks like a short run but it will take you longer than you expect....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

spacedoutbob
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy. 299 gets my vote since you're towing. If I was riding a motorcycle, No question I would drive Hwy. 36 for all the curves. I guarantee if you took Hwy. 36, you will never forget that drive. Have a safe trip.

Bob
Good Sam Club Life Member

micpib1
Explorer
Explorer
I live just off of 299 and travel it almost every day, just use your gears on the passes and you should have no problems. Enjoy the views of the river and mountains, I am proud to call this area "home". I would avoid 36 if possible, especially if you are towing. JH

micpib1
Explorer
Explorer
JH

Tin-bender
Explorer
Explorer
299 for sure, stay off 36.
Only four grades on 299 none that bad, the west side of Oregon Mountain is probably the worst going up the road is good and mostly straight but steep, 6-7% but about half way up is a 20 mph unbanked turn and you will loose all your momentum. Not a big deal we pull the 24'TT over 5-6 times a year.

Coming down the east side of Buckhorn is slow and windy but they are in the process of fixing a lot of that now. (construction shut down for winter, probably no delays) That part is only about 6-7 miles now.

Shouldn't be any snow this storm is pretty warm, but watch the shady spots for ice. If there is ice they will have it cindered, they are pretty good on that. But it sure makes a mess on your rig.

Safe trip
Tinbender

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
I would not recommend Hwy 36 unless you are driving a sports car or motorcycle. Too many tight curves. Hwy 299 is doable but has 5 mountain passes you have to climb and descend, but is the better choice of the two. Count on 4 to 5 hours to drive 299 from 101 to Redding. If you are going further South of Redding I would recommend from Eureka that you take 101 South to Ukiah and catch Hwy 20 over to Williams and catch I 5 to continue south, but if you are just ending up at Redding, 299 is your best bet, stay away from Hwy 36 is my recomdation.
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
SR 36 is incredibly windy and slow. SR 299 is not the straightest road either, but it will most likely be better towing a fifth.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.