cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any high mountain passes through Montana/Idaho on I-90

Winterwolf227
Explorer
Explorer
Headed to South Dakota from Portland, OR along I-90, curious if there is any high mountain passes like on I-70 through Colorado?
Kb,Lori,Abby and Doberman Rosie and Boxer Boaz
Portland, OR
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 Cummins, 48RE, Firestone RideRite Air Bags

2016 Creekside 23DBS
Past -
2014 Komfort Trailblazer 2610BH
2005 Starcraft Hybrid
15 REPLIES 15

Winterwolf227
Explorer
Explorer
ewarnerusa wrote:
Fourth of July Pass, Lookout Pass, Homestake Pass, Bozeman Pass. Homestake and Lookout will be the biggest, not too much different than climbing I-70 out of Denver except for only 2 lanes each way. Bozeman Pass will basically be all downhill when heading east.

Thank You all for the information !!
Portland, OR

2016 Creekside 23DBS
Past -
2005 Starcraft Hybrid

ewarnerusa
Nomad
Nomad
Fourth of July Pass, Lookout Pass, Homestake Pass, Bozeman Pass. Homestake and Lookout will be the biggest, not too much different than climbing I-70 out of Denver except for only 2 lanes each way. Bozeman Pass will basically be all downhill when heading east.
Aspen Trail 2710BH | 470 watts of solar | 2x 6V GC batteries | 100% LED lighting | 1500W PSW inverter | MicroAir on air con | Yamaha 2400 gen

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
We pulled from Missoula to Spokane last summer with our rig and never felt I didn't have enough truck or other concerns. We got to Missoula from Great Falls so did not I-90. But then the Vail pass and the Ike did not bother me either. I am what most would consider a flat lander,but---.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
It is a beautiful route but it sure is hilly !! You could drop down to I 80 to Nebraska then turn north. We haul apples out of Washington to NYC at certain times of the year and I 90 is just to much work....on the driver and the truck.

Fleet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
If you've pulled Cabbage Hill on I-84 east of Pendleton, the grades and pulls on I-90 in ID and MT will be a piece of cake. The pass on the ID/MT border is the toughest but your Dodge should handle it with ease.
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Toad, '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue OX, Aventa
US Gear UBS

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
old guy wrote:
remember you are crossing the Rockies, so yes there are some high passes

They aren't that high. I-90 is the lowest route you can take. Homestake Pass is a mountain pass in the Rocky Mountains of Montana in the United States. It sits on the Continental Divide on the border between Jefferson County and Silver Bow County, six miles south-southeast of Butte in Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest at an elevation of 6,329 feet (1,929 m).

Remember to take the short cut from Spearfish S.D. to Billings, it save a half day driving.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
delete
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can get lots of info on just about any US highway by typing the highway designation and the state in google. Using I-90 Idaho finds a Wiki page:

Wiki

And a Idaho highway dept page:

ITD

Along with many other hits
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Also heard there is a long stretch with no services, is that the case?
That's a question of what constitutes a "long" stretch, and how much services you need.

It's an interstate highway, so there are services at very frequent intervals. But it's certainly not urban. A quick perusal of your Rand McNally or Googlymaps will show you.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The two main ones are about five miles long each.
After getting to the top of the one in Butte area, the down grade is nearly as bad. Watch your brakes and use compression brake if equipped.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Winterwolf227
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:

i figured that but the question was if they were the long hauls like on I-70 thru Colorado over Vail, Loveland and Berthod Passes
Portland, OR

2016 Creekside 23DBS
Past -
2005 Starcraft Hybrid

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer

Winterwolf227
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
There are a couple of summits in Idaho, including the one on the ID/MT border, and couple in Montana. The intersection of I90 and I15 is at Butte, a relatively high mining town. But none are as high as the 2 on I70. Of course to get a realistic picture you need to know the total length of climb and grade for each, not just the absolute altitude (compare Portland to Government camp v Denver to Eisenhower tunnel).

Yeah, not wanting to do Vail Pass or Loveland or Berthod pass again. Once is enough.... but we do Government Camp 1-2 times a year...

Also heard there is a long stretch with no services, is that the case?
Portland, OR

2016 Creekside 23DBS
Past -
2005 Starcraft Hybrid

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a couple of summits in Idaho, including the one on the ID/MT border, and couple in Montana. The intersection of I90 and I15 is at Butte, a relatively high mining town. But none are as high as the 2 on I70. Of course to get a realistic picture you need to know the total length of climb and grade for each, not just the absolute altitude (compare Portland to Government camp v Denver to Eisenhower tunnel).