cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best route from Anaheim, CA to San Diego?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Best option pulling 5th wheel and avoiding I5? How about when we leave there and head for Bullhead City CA? Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! We stayed at Desert Wils on our way to Anaheim and found it to be a good choice. Very convenient to all services.

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
SD to Bullhead. 15/215/40 is what the mapping app provides. However, there is probably still a lot of construction on 215, especially near San Bernardino. And it is still pretty hairy around UC Riverside. Tiny bit longer, but I'd recommend taking 15 to the 40. 95 up to Bullhead.
Be advised that commuter traffic will be heavy in the morning heading out of SD. Especially problematic is around Temecula. Were I making that drive, I'd leave around 10am from SD and spend the night at Desert Willow RV, just off the freeway in Hesperia, just over Cajon Pass. It's not a destination park by any means, but has full hook-ups with a lot of shopping, etc., nearby. We like to walk across the street to Five Guys for a burger.

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did the reverse, SD to Anaheim about a month ago. It is the easiest of the routes available and should be taken. The 91/215 route, depending on the time of day, is a heavy commuter corridor. But that applies to all SoCal driving.
I will add, that if you came into Anaheim from the north via 5 and you hit the mess we hit when we left Anaheim for Pismo, all that construction, at least as a month ago, was to the north of Anaheim.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Taking I-5S or 405S is not a bad drive. Obviously 405 and 5 join together in El Toro. Right along the beach with lots of beautiful scenery. If you're lucky, you can watch the tanks perform at Camp Pendleton. Excellent small towns such as La Jolla as you near San Diego. (Hint: You'll most likely want to avoid Blacks Beach).

Easiest way out is I-15 N to 40E to 95N.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
From Anaheim-- 405 S to the 5 S or just get on the 5 depending where you are in Anaheim--to San Diego--about 2 hour drive depending on traffic. From San Diego to Bullhead City-- 15 N to the 40 E to AZ-than 95 to Bullhead City. Lars
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
From Anaheim you really don't have much choice, your 1/3 there. Either the 5 or the 405. Coming back you can take the 215 North to the 15 and hopefully miss most of the traffic and road construction, (but it has traffic too).
Just plan on a long slow drive, it the traffic is light you can be pleasantly surprised.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can always take the 91 east to I-15 south,in Corona then to the I-215 into San Diego. A bit farther but it isn't the I-5.

Just reverse your route back up the 215 to I-15 to I-40 east to Needles then up 95 to Laughlin and Bull Head.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C