Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dolores, CO to Black Canyon, CO

Tony_DiannesRV
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning!
We are presently staying at a wonderful cg in Dolores. Slowly, we are becoming used to your (very) hilly CO terrain! Visited Mesa Verde for the last two days and will be seeing Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Telluride with just the truck over the next several days.

I've done a search to find an answer to our question, but end up getting more confused as I continue to read (and becoming side-tracked as I jot down new things to see!)

Our next stop next week is Black Canyon in Gunnison. We've got a reservation right in the park. Looking at the map, would we take 145N from Dolores to 62E to 550N to Montrose, then 50E to 347? We will have the 5'er on our backs, so looking for the easiest ride.
Thanks in advance for your help.
2004 28' H.R. Alumascape named Maude
2008 GMC 2500 P/U
5 Grown Kids/5 Adorable Grandaughters & 1 Prince grandson
12 REPLIES 12

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
In case you haven't seen this, here's the official national park site for Black Canyon OF the Gunnison. As noted above, it's not IN Gunnison. Enjoy!

https://www.nps.gov/blcA/index.htm
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Boy, you sure know how to make a guys day - thank you so much; means a lot!

About 3 decades ago - in the height of my career and other involvement - a national publication wrote ...

"Lauren is ethical, honest, fair, loyal and will go more than the extra mile for you ---- but don't ever cross him!"

Yup, I still think that is true. I have been blessed in so many ways - still not won the lottery though and it would be nice. We don't have all we want, but do have all we need.....so not complaining.

BTW - Black Canyon is one of our favorite places.

Thanks again.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
And if you are a 4x4 person, Black Bear Pass is a great place to go. Fantastic views and a great place to 4 wheel!
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
Just a small correction. The Black Canyon OF the Gunnison isn't in Gunnison. The park and the park entrance are on the west side of some pretty large mountains closer to Montrose.

If you like a nice drive, take the Black Mesa road on the other side of the canyon. Highway 92. It is even paved!
lynn

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Forgive my punctuation, but Windows 10 keeps telling me I have "Incorrect Formatting" and this was the only way to get around it. LOL
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Its the correct route. On Rt.145, just be 4 Lizard Head pass is a great Nat'l Forest CG with ELECTRIC & 1st come 1st serve. Also, just north of the town of Ridge way (John Wayne, Rooster Cog burn) is beautiful Ridge way State Pk. Try to get a site in the section below the dam. I'd stay there 4 a few nit es & see Oar & Silver ton. Watch 4 the train from Duran go to come into Silver ton. Great experience. If u'r into 4 x 4 trails or even a fairly decent clearance truck like yours, do some of the EASY trails. Any of the Jeep rental places are more than happy to advise you. Stay OFF the Black Bear 4 x 4 trail. People have died on it. Mont rose is a very nice, modern ranch town with everything you'll need. Stock up there. Cheapest gas is City gas & big enough to handle long rigs. Just east of town on Rt 50 you'll turn left onto Rt.347 to get to the Nat'l pk. At the turn is a famous little nick- shop everyone stops in there to look. The short drive up to the park is very steep in one section so take it easy. The park CG has one loop with ELECTRIC hookups& some pull-thru sites. B.Canyon is not to be missed.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

titleman
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
Tony&DiannesRV wrote:
Great and thanks, Lauren.
You have given us great advice in the past. (Most recently, we HAVE to agree about Spanish Trail.)

Isn't it nice to have Lauren chime in and give his opinions on this site? I have found his suggestions and advice to be very accurate and honest in every case. None better to listen to than Lauren.....in my opinion
Titleman
2017 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
lbrjet wrote:
We found the Anasazi Heritage Museum very interesting last year when visiting that area. We stayed at Dolores River campround.

X2 - the museum is well worth a visit, and it's an easy hike up to the Puebloan ruins above the building - nice view.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
We found the Anasazi Heritage Museum very interesting last year when visiting that area. We stayed at Dolores River campround.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Tony&DiannesRV wrote:
You have given us great advice in the past. (Most recently, we HAVE to agree about Spanish Trail.)

Lauren does that route almost every year with his signature 5'er on his back so that is as Good as it Get's.

The biggest problem is there is just Soooooo much to see and do that you will need to explore much in the truck and come back again and again.

The other advice I'll give is to talk with the owners and others in the Camp Grounds to get local knowledge on what is on your mind, they will fill in most of the blanks.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Tony_DiannesRV
Explorer
Explorer
2004 28' H.R. Alumascape named Maude
2008 GMC 2500 P/U
5 Grown Kids/5 Adorable Grandaughters & 1 Prince grandson

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Know the area pretty well.

The is the route. Nice drive - some hills but nothing really serious and all good roads.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times