cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good online campground review website

tomseeley
Explorer
Explorer
I used to use rvparkreviews.com to see what other RVers think about possible campgrounds where I'm headed, but I haven't for a few years. Theyve changed it. IMO it's harder to navigate and use. And I'm not seeing all that many really current reviews of places in the SE US where I live. That suggests to me that RVers may be gravitating to alternative sites. What other good credible online campground review websites do you folks use?
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2008 Nash 26X
17 REPLIES 17

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
The AllStays Camp and RV app. If a campground has reviews you can open that link and see a list of sites like RVParkReviews and others.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
2gypsies wrote:
I'd trust RVParkReviews.com before Trip Advisor. We used RV Park Reviews for private and public campgrounds and the new format is super easy to get around. With any of them you have to weed the reviews out and take the average. Some folks give a bad review because the weather was bad. There is no one that is perfect. They're all subjective depending what you want in a campground.
X-2, I use Trip Advisor for Restaurants & such, but for CG's, it sucks, IMHO, I really didn't like the new RVParkreviews, until I used it a while & got used to it, now it's all I use, I've tried RVParky but don't like it as much as RVParkreviews.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use rvparkreviews, the app rvparky (the 'near me now' feature is really nice when driving by a park), Campendium, TripAdvisor & Yelp. Doesn't take long before you recognize that different strata of RV'ers use the different sites. One thing that is very important to me is that rvparkreviews has declined to post a couple of my reviews of parks that are typically rated very high. I'm fairly prolific in my reviews. The declined reviews could have been posted had I made changes. In rereading them, I felt that they were honest straight forward reviews, identifying issues important to travelers looking for what I consider important. The declined reviews were published at all the other sites. Ironically, my most recently declined review of a park, one in the Pismo area, has received a number of 'helpful' votes from TripAdvisor.

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
We've found that RV Parky doesn't have all the campgrounds listed and much is incorrect. None of them are complete. You have to use various research options.

Agreed. I use rvparky app when just "winging" it on a trip. I have had good results with it, but before I go out of my way, I will double check the website of the park, for example, to be sure all is correct. I also like freecampsites.net if I am just looking for an overnight. I have found some real gems using that site, and both apps will use your smart phone location to bring up a map with various options.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've found that RV Parky doesn't have all the campgrounds listed and much is incorrect. None of them are complete. You have to use various research options.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I like the new rvparkreviews format. It's easier to read, faster loads, and they post reviews very soon after posting. In fact I've been a member for a lot of years and now my reviews get posted instantly instead of weeks later.

Trip Adviser always felt clunky to me and we don't enjoy using it. Although I have used it to validate information I've found elsewhere, but it is not my "go to" site for travel info.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
While RV Parky does have some good info a few camping areas I've looked at have outdated info as well.

Example: Casa Grande and Eloy AZ where we winter are showing names of some CG's that have not been updated...one that changed ownership in 2012. Wonder how many others have not been looked at and updated?

For us we like RV Park Reviews and Good Sams for more current info.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
accsys wrote:
While we use RV Park Reviews, we also use RV Parky. RV Parky also has a good trip planning feature as well.

X2. This has become our new go to app for RV park reviews and for finding parks in a specific vicinity. With the phone app, once you locate the park you want, press "Directions" and it gives you GPS directions to the park. Very handy.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

greg121
Explorer
Explorer
Thats about the only way I can get it to work for me. The search box doesn't help at all.

tomseeley
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. Thanks for the tutorial! Clearly I haven't been using rvparkreviews correctly. I'll see if I can do it how you've explained.
2008 Nash 26X

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't like the new format on RVParkReviews at first either. But now I do exactly as 2gypsies does, and I find it very easy and helpful with the nearby cities listed also.
Since you posted this, I looked on the website and tried using the Search box. I agree that it's funky. What you have to do is type ONLY the city name, NOT the state. Then below it will show "Suggested Cities", meaning it will show your city in all the states where it appears (like Newport is in a lot of states, but Sedona is only in one state.) Then click on the one you want and you'll find the RV parks with reviews listed. What's even weirder is that underneath "Suggested Cities" it also shows SOME of the RV parks in that city in various states, so don't rely on that listing.

Anyway, I find the way 2gypsies and I use the website to be much easier...two clicks and you're there.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
tomseeley wrote:

As for rvparkreviews being easy to move around: I guess maybe I could use a tutorial! I hate how hard it is, when I know where I want to go, to simply go to the site, key in the city and state I want to see reviews for, and get any hits at all! That NEVER works for me!?? Even if I only key in the state abbreviation it reports "nothing found" or words to that effect! That ridiculous! If someone could help get me past that fatal flaw.

All I do is click on the state on the map that first shows up or the state name from the list on the left side. Then all the cities that have campground reviews appear in a list on the left side. Click on the city you want. (Not all cities will have reviews). When you bring up the list of RV parks in that city, again, on the left, will be parks listed that are close to the city you chose. I can't understand why this doesn't work for you but hope it does next time. Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

tomseeley
Explorer
Explorer
Hey thx. Keep those opinions comin' folks.

But for what it's worth:

I detest trip advisor for lots of reasons none of which have anything to do with RVing. I won't elaborate because I don't want to hijack my own thread.

As for rvparkreviews being easy to move around: I guess maybe I could use a tutorial! I hate how hard it is, when I know where I want to go, to simply go to the site, key in the city and state I want to see reviews for, and get any hits at all! That NEVER works for me!?? Even if I only key in the state abbreviation it reports "nothing found" or words to that effect! That ridiculous! If someone could help get me past that fatal flaw, I might consider trying it again!

I do agree of course that once you do find reviews you need to do a LOT of your own due diligence! Esp with respect to reviews that have good things to say about a place except they moan and bad mouth the place because they couldn't get good wifi or a cable or satellite TV signal, fer cripes sake! Gimme a break! You're camping, people!!! If having good wifi or tv is what you value most when you're in your rv, maybe RVing isn't how you should how you should spend a lot of your leisure time and money!

Anyway. Thx again for the idea of rv parky. Hadn't heard of that one. Gotta try it.
2008 Nash 26X

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
While we use RV Park Reviews, we also use RV Parky. RV Parky also has a good trip planning feature as well.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams