cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Tetons Planning

DonPd
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip to Grand Tetons sometime next year and would like some input as to what's the best time of year to go.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel, Automatic, Quad Cab, Shortbed.
2006 34' Mountaineer 328RLS, 5th Wheel Trailer.
11 REPLIES 11

DonPd
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
Here's the weather scoop for Jackson Hole over the last 30 years.

Thanks for the weather information. It is very useful.

DonPd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Jim for the weather information link. That is very useful.

Posted By: Jim Shoe on 03/27/14 05:12pm

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

DonPd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the good information thus far.

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer late June and early July. In the fall the campgrounds close very early, often as early as Sept 15, and it limits where we can stay.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Early October can be great -- but bring warm clothes and watch the weather forecast:

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

bilmarde
Explorer
Explorer
Look for the closing dates of the campgrounds. Colter Bay RV park and the Colter Bay campground usually close about the third week of September. Gros Ventre campground stays open until early October. GV campground is much closer to Jackson but puts you that much farther from Yellowstone. Only the Colter Bay RV park has hookups. The other two have dump stations and bathrooms with flush toilets.

Bill D
2011 Ford F250
1998 Cari-Lite 31RK
1990 Chevrolet 3500 Dually
1995 Lance 945

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
For me it's the third week of Sept for the GTNP. The Aspens are changing and it is the most glorious site. The air is full of the fragrance of the fall. The animals are coming down from the highlands and the fishing is outstanding. I have been there eight times at that time of year. One time in June and it was nice but I enjoy Sept more.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Late spring or early fall have been our favorite times to visit Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks. They are so close together it seems a waste if you don't get to both.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
For Grand Teton & Yellowstone, we prefer the first 2-3 weeks of June. Beats the crowds that arrive after kids get out of school. To us the mountains are much more beautiful before the snow melts off them. Also lots of baby animals around at that time of year.

We went once in September and there was almost no snow on the mountains, the air was hazy due to forest fires in the area and smoke blowing in from elsewhere. On the plus side, the Aspens were turning yellow, the Moose and Elk had full racks of antlers and it was a true experience of wildness to hear the Elk bugling for their mates in the mountains.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoyed Fall visits more than the others. Not so crowded. Wildlife seems more active. Possibility of snow that time of year but we just enjoyed it. It wasn't bad enough to cause any problems. It is beautiful any time of the year. Have fun!