cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half the Trip Done - don't know how to plan the other half

FW_Michele
Explorer
Explorer
Our first trip is in the planning stages. Coming from Brighton Ontario (2 hrs east of Toronto) we are travelling to Memphis, and Nashville. Because it's our first trip, I want to plan as much as possible. Okay, I want to plan as much as possible because that's how we enjoy doing it!

We plan to drive 4-5 hours a day, on the way down, hoping to make camp around 2-3 pm each day. I figure that's do-able, and also not to stressful.

We're crossing the border in Detroit, after visiting my dad in Windsor. We're staying one night at the Dayton KOA, one night at Timber Trails Campground in Mulberry Grove, IL, and then on to Memphis - where we're staying at the Graceland RV Park for 4 nights, then to Nashville, at the Yogi Bear Campground for 4 nights.

Once we leave Nashville - any ideas on an interesting route home? We'll have 5 days to get home, and could cross at either Windsor, Niagara Falls, Fort Erie, or Cornwall.

Thanks -
Michele
7 REPLIES 7

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
You could do a Google search for `______ tourism' and put the state, city, or area in the space and read what the experts have to suggest for their area.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Might try traveling on the second half, to not plan details of the trip. That sort or scheduling is what we travel to get away from 🙂 WE've actually taken a month long trip by flipping coins to make decisions about routes etc.
Do what YOU are comfortable with and have a good trip / Skip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

spacedoutbob
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are coming into the Detroit area, Have you considered visiting Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford Museum, it is less than 15 miles from Detroit and is very interesting and worth the time to check out.

Bob in Calif.
Good Sam Club Life Member

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
ps.. I use www.mapquest.com you can drag the route to change it. You can add stops
We use www.recreation.gov to locate Corps of Engineers campgrounds, National Forest Campgrounds and Bureau of Land Management campgrounds. We also use www.woodalls.com and www.rvparkreviews.com
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Land Between the Lakes KY is a nice area. We stayed at the Canal Campground on Barkley Lake, KY. sites 111-117 are less wooded and more level if that is important. Also Hillman's Ferry is a nice campground. Near Cincinnati, Winton Woods campground in Hamilton County is nice. (Hamilton County Parks). A beautiful drive would be through Lexington KY, to I-79 to Charleston WV, then up I-77 to Lake Erie. Niagara Falls would be my choice.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I'll second Mamoth Cave -- take the all-day hike through the cave.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you going to Mammoth Caves NP in Kentucky--they are well worth a visit.

BK
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper