ML
Tom & Mary Lou
'03 Dodge 2500, Q/cab,SB, 5.7 hemi
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS
14 REPLIES 14

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
We drove into Moab from the south and north this summer as we have done many previous summers. No grades anywhere near 11%. A few short stretches of maybe 7% but these are easily handled. Hope you get to visit Moab soon, we really enjoy it.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
... We then purchased the Mountain Directory for Truckers & RVers and didn't get caught after that! ๐Ÿ™‚

So your Directory doesn't have any warnings for US191 south of Moab?

According to an earlier thread it used to have a warning about 'driveshaft hill'.

No... just looked... nothing on 191.

Hwy 163 bridge at San Juan River isn't mentioned either. I do recall a sharp turn at that area but sure don't recall a steep downhill. There were ample warnings for the turn. No issue.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
I have been to Moab on just about every route possible. The only really steep grade south of Moab is on US163 on the west side of the San Juan river heading into Monument Valley. It is stated to be 10% and it probably is but it's short, maybe half a mile. More of a problem coming down as you have to come to almost a stop over the narrow bridge and 90 degree turn at the bottom.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
2gypsies wrote:
... We then purchased the Mountain Directory for Truckers & RVers and didn't get caught after that! ๐Ÿ™‚

So your Directory doesn't have any warnings for US191 south of Moab?

According to an earlier thread it used to have a warning about 'driveshaft hill'.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Mary Lou wrote:
Seeing an 11% grade south of Moab. Wondering what others have experienced
Thx
ML

Where south of Moab?
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
donkeydew wrote:
are you looking at the moki dugway ? it is a gravel road on utah 261 not the main highway

Just did that! Won't be doing that again....EVER.. My wife still has nightmares
Proud father of a US Marine

EASY_RIDER
Explorer
Explorer
I don't remember any serious grades from Moab on hwy-191 thru Utah and Az going south to I-40, seems like it is a easy drive for me in a mh pulling a small trailer.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've driven 191 south of Moab through Monument Valley and there's no 11% grade. The whole highway in the Moab area is very easy. You can easily drive 191 into Arizona as far as Alpine.

191 in Arizona from Alpine to Clifton is the steepest and it's 'only' 8 or 9% - with many curves. We accidently drove that one. Luckily in late Fall when there was no traffic. We then purchased the Mountain Directory for Truckers & RVers and didn't get caught after that! ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've discussed a little grade south of Blanding - up a mesa step. Apparently the ever reliable Western Mtn directory has a warning. The opinion in another thread is that it's hardly noticeable.

It's called 'driveshaft hill'

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/16147249.cfm

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
How far south and on what road? Nothing like that on 191 before 491 junction in Monticello.
Turret Class traveler

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
are you looking at the moki dugway ? it is a gravel road on utah 261 not the main highway

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I have been south through Moab and don't remember anything down there. Maybe they are talking about in Canyonlands Park

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
??? where ??? been through several times.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing to sweat - an engine brake helps though.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman