cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newport, OR to Portland

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving Newport tomorrow heading up to Portland. Looks like I can head over to Corvallis (came in that way) and pick up I-5 or drive up to Lincoln City and take a similar road over to Salem to I-5. Seems like major advantage would be to drive a bit of the 101 before we leave the coast. Any suggestions/recommendations regarding the two routes is appreciated.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA
21 REPLIES 21

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
My choice is to cut off to Salem using Hiway 22 from Hiway 18 .
I spent lots of time in Mac ( McMinnville ) as a young man .
What a great little town .
But traffic going northeast through Newburg is a STOP and go mess .
Having said that I tried going through Mac again on 18 last year .
Nostalgia and all that .
I won't do that again pulling a trailer .

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Did 20 to 34 and up I5 both ways in sept. Not impressed with that Eddysville stretch. Had a road rager pass me in a very dangerous spot. And as far as pulling off to let others pass since there is zero shoulder that won't happen. Not a fun run at all. Won't go that way again. Also found people quite grouchy in newport (sick of tourists I'd guess) compared to cannon beach. I think we'll stay North.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
RoadXYZ wrote:
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I'm a little late getting in on this but for future use, I too feel 18 out of LC is best. After all, The Otis Cafรฉ is on that route and it's great any time but breakfast is fantastic. We use to drive up there from our cottage in Yachats just for breakfast. - skipped portions -

Is there room for a truck & 30 ft. travel trailer to park there ?

Plenty of room to park there.....was just there yesterday(Wed.).
cpaulsen

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I'm a little late getting in on this but for future use, I too feel 18 out of LC is best. After all, The Otis Cafรฉ is on that route and it's great any time but breakfast is fantastic. We use to drive up there from our cottage in Yachats just for breakfast. - skipped portions -

Is there room for a truck & 30 ft. travel trailer to park there ?
Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)

jmac
Explorer
Explorer
I would do Lincoln City, then 18 w thru McMinville, see the Spruce Goose, pick up 99w, connect to I-5 near tigard. I would avoid going thru Salem if possible.Again , if not in a hurry and don't care about seeing Spruce Goose, go all the way to Astoria or at least Seaside and Cannon Beach then cut over on 26.

safe travels

jmac

Jerry & Judy McDonald

MOLLY (THE BASENJI) Now R.I.P

Verizon cell & broadband

2003 DP Escaper 3979/330 cat MH
PT
http://jerryjudytravels.blogspot.com

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not to be contentious, but there is no good fueling in either Newport, Phillomath, or Corvallis for a 42' motor home pulling a toad. The best bet (that I'm aware of) is to go over to I-5 via 20 and 34. At the intersection of 34 and I-5, there is on the east side a 76 that is very doable and also a CFM (I think) truck station beside the 76 that will take public vehicles. Both of these are easy in and easy out.

Or, once on I-5 going north towards Portland, just north of Salem is a Pilot/FJ station.

Also, if you want to go 99W out of Corvallis, you first have to go through downtown Corvallis. Not a good idea.

The shortest, easiest, most direct, and have access to easy diesel....is 20 to 34 to I-5.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

stfnwuf
Explorer
Explorer
Duke-44 wrote:
I would agree with you to go north a little, then out to Salem and I-5. I would hate to drive the road between Newport and Corvallis pulling a rig, especially going through Eddysville where you are on the old highway.

We just did that route from Newport as we were headed to Eugene (via old 99) and found to be a nice drive and easy tow. The scenery was lovely.
2016 Reflection 337RLS
2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn
Food source for one very ornery cat

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
cpaulsen wrote:
North to Lincoln City.....east on Hwy.18 to McMinnville...Hwy.99 north.

Done them all at one time or another. This is possibly the worst traffic wise. Cut over on 22 to Salem is way faster and less stress if you want to go that way. But you still have to fight the Lincoln City traffic mess. Still the best by far from Newport is due east to Philomath and either go up I5 or 99W. Which is fast becoming my preferred route. And not just because I live on the west side of the valley now, but because of the far less traffic and a more relaxing drive.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a little late getting in on this but for future use, I too feel 18 out of LC is best. After all, The Otis Cafรฉ is on that route and it's great any time but breakfast is fantastic. We use to drive up there from our cottage in Yachats just for breakfast. Our DGS is first through the door and grabs a loaf of the pumpkin bread before we get seated. He doesn't want to miss out on having that later. The DGD will eat a half serving of the German potatoes, about 2/3 at the cafรฉ and the rest for dinner that night. During the summer they have the patio open and it's such fun to sit out there watching all the cars speeding by, those poor folks not knowing what they are missing.

We have even been known to stop there for breakfast and then leisurely drive up 101 from there and take 30 across to Portland. Don't like going there but that way extends the time and sights.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sinnettc wrote:
Donn0128 - is that the little park on the Luckiamute at the base of the big hill? Didn't realize there were camp hosts there.

Yes, first state park in Oregon. Two decent beaches for playing in the river. They have a host here in the summer to help keep it looking nice. Other than the mice it is a good park

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
North to Lincoln City.....east on Hwy.18 to McMinnville...Hwy.99 north.
cpaulsen

Sinnettc
Explorer
Explorer
Donn0128 - is that the little park on the Luckiamute at the base of the big hill? Didn't realize there were camp hosts there.
1995 Chevy Silverado K1500 4x4 short bed
2010 Trail Cruiser 23QBC
2001 Catalina Capri 22 sailboat "Verboten"

Sinnettc
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on how far you go between fill ups and which way you go. I know there's stations in Newport that will handle your rig.

Probably something in Philomath if you come across Hwy 20. Nothing easy on 99W in Corvallis without looping south a mile or so on 99W first. Monmouth maybe.

If you come across Hwy 22 and turn onto 99W, McMinnville & Newburg are likely to have something that will handle your rig. Might be something in Dallas, too, but that's a detour just before you get to 22.

If you go up the coast to Astoria I'm sure you'll find something along the way; Tillamook will have a station for sure. Might be something in Seaside, should be something in Astoria on your way to Portland along the river.
1995 Chevy Silverado K1500 4x4 short bed
2010 Trail Cruiser 23QBC
2001 Catalina Capri 22 sailboat "Verboten"

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Corvallis will have fuel. There is no reason you cannot make Portland on one tank. McMinnville has the Spruce Goose at the air museum. From there you come into Portland area on the west side. If you want the east side then from here it is only about 15 miles to Salem and I5 to I205. BTW we are the park hosts at this gem of a day use park. We will be here all day. Maybe stop for a dip in the river before or after lunch. We are maybe an hour from Newport.