cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Parking the truck in San Francisco

mamasmax
Explorer
Explorer
In a couple weeks my wife and I are keeping our 10 year old grandson over spring break and taking our fiver to Petaluma. Among our excursions will be a day trip to S. F. and I'm a little nervous about parking my crew cab long bed pickup. It's been many years since I've been there and have no idea what kind of parking might be available. We'll probably take him to the usual spots like the Wharf or Pier 39 and I'd appreciate any helpful suggestions.
20 REPLIES 20

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think much of the advice missed the point that you have a long bed crew cab truck. Most all the parking garages around the tourist areas can barely handle normal size cars, much less a huge truck. You may luck out and find someplace to squeeze in, but I doubt. Since you're coming from Petaluma, I'd go to Larkspur and take the ferry boat in. I'm not sure if there is a ferry from there to Pier 39 or not, but if not you can go to the Ferry Building and walk most anyplace from there. It's less than a mile down to Pier 39.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
A few years ago, we parked our CC short bed right near the busiest part of the Wharf, at 8 A.M. We folded the mirrors in and all was well. The problem was getting out of the lot in the afternoon.
It was worth it, got the shirt, been there-done that.

matt7591
Explorer
Explorer
Parking will be a monster.

If you Uber or Lyft - you will have less stress, very likely be at/near the prices of parking and have infinitely more convenience.

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Ferry would be the easiest and probably most entertaining for the youngster. Cable cars and just walking San Francisco is an adventure.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

kazmir
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with WackAway and 2gypsies, Larkspur ferry is the best way to go. It will take you to the Ferry terminal along the waterfront and you can take trollies or the cable car to see sites not right in that area. Your grandson will love the Exporatorium, 10 is the perfect age!
2005 Minnie 24V
Family of Four with lots of toys!:B

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
WackAway wrote:
Parking in the City can be touchy with anything bigger than a compact car. My suggestion is to park your truck over at Larkspur Landing Ferry Terminal and ride the Ferry over to SF Waterfront. You can walk to Pier 39 from there and take Trolleys, Cabs or Ubers and get to anything else in the City.

The Ferry ride is gorgeous as you get to see the City, Golden Gate Bridge, Oakland Bay Bridge, Angel Island and Alcatraz Island from the water. Much better views.

Ferry Terminal - Golden Gate Ferry, 101 Sir Francis Drake Blvd, Larkspur, CA 94939

For trying to see a large city you can waste a lot of time reading up on what you want to do, planning the day, getting various transportation, etc. We find it best to take an overview tour and if you want to do another day you can re-visit places. With a tour you can get the layout of the city better.

Taking the Larkspur Ferry would be the easiest for you and the most relaxing for everyone. Your grandchild will love it, as you will, also. Make arrangements with this small van touring company for a very enjoyable day seeing all the highlights including driving across the Golden Gate and having lunch in Sausalito. Our daughter who lives there was very impressed with the 5-hour (I think) tour.

When you get off the ferry the van tour will be waiting for you at the Ferry Building. When the tour is finished it'll drop you off at the same place for another ferry ride to your vehicle.

https://www.sanfranshuttletours.com/
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Dave_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Pier 39 not a problem for us two years ago.Parked our dually there two different days.I was able to find a spot on the end and took what i needed.
2011 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab
2016 Chaparral 370FL

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
We'll probably take him to the usual spots like the Wharf or Pier 39 and I'd appreciate any helpful suggestions.

Since you did not say much more than Pier 39, not sure what else you want to see but if it is the submarine and liberty ship you might well acquaint yourself with the bus schedule and routes to get you around. Once you park in SF, if you drive in and park, you likely will not be all that excited about moving the truck a mile or so every time you want to see something else. As to available parking at BART, I have never seen Concord Martinez full. Even for crew long bed duallys there has always been plenty of room. Some BART stations fill fast, on weekends it is usually much less busy.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver wrote:
MacArthur Bart station in Emeryville, east bay between Oakland and Berkley. You can pay at the MacArthur parking garage or like I do park in the Home Depot lot and walk a few blocks or take the "Emery go round" free bus to the Bart station. You can also park in the Emeryville Toys-R-US lot. Where kids really want to go with grandparents.:) Generally it is faster to take the bart from Emeryville than it is to drive over the Bay Bridge and park.

There is a large vehicle parking lot near Pier 39/Fishermans Warf on North Point St, but it is expensive.
This is exactly what I do. You might have an easier time parking further out in Walnut Creek. Either way, grab a San Francisco bound train and get off at Embarcadero Station. That puts you in front of the Ferry Building. Fishermans Wharf is an easy walk.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
MacArthur Bart station in Emeryville, east bay between Oakland and Berkley. You can pay at the MacArthur parking garage or like I do park in the Home Depot lot and walk a few blocks or take the "Emery go round" free bus to the Bart station. You can also park in the Emeryville Toys-R-US lot. Where kids really want to go with grandparents.:) Generally it is faster to take the bart from Emeryville than it is to drive over the Bay Bridge and park.

There is a large vehicle parking lot near Pier 39/Fishermans Warf on North Point St, but it is expensive.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

WackAway
Explorer
Explorer
Parking in the City can be touchy with anything bigger than a compact car. My suggestion is to park your truck over at Larkspur Landing Ferry Terminal and ride the Ferry over to SF Waterfront. You can walk to Pier 39 from there and take Trolleys, Cabs or Ubers and get to anything else in the City.

The Ferry ride is gorgeous as you get to see the City, Golden Gate Bridge, Oakland Bay Bridge, Angel Island and Alcatraz Island from the water. Much better views.

Ferry Terminal - Golden Gate Ferry, 101 Sir Francis Drake Blvd, Larkspur, CA 94939
Todd & Victri
"Looking for the perfect spot and points in-between"
2017 Ford F350 Lariat Super Duty 4x4
2017 KZ Durango Gold G380FLF 40ft
800W Solar | Morningstar TS-MPPT-60 | Aims 3000W Inverter Charger

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to stay at the Petaluma KOA this summer and take the all day tour that they have of San Francisco. If you travel with a dog they offer a dog walking service where they will come to your RV feed and walk your dog.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I used to travel a lot to San Fran for work. I know one time I made the mistake of renting a Tahoe (it was the only car National had at the time). Even that was a PITA to park. And I remember the hotel charging something outrageous for parking (like $50+/night) because it was oversized.

I wouldn't want to try to do a lot of touring with a full size truck. I would rent a car for the day. Enterprise will usually give you a pretty good daily rate if you are in law enforcement, military, insurance industry, etc.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010