cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pilot truck stops

Mick9064
Explorer
Explorer
Do pilots have designated RV parking spots like they have at flying a?

Thanks,
Mick
19 REPLIES 19

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
I use the truck lanes. Fast and easy enough. I use paper booties to protect the RV.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
History lesson ๐Ÿ™‚

Associated Oil Company

I remember Flying A. Brings back memories of Dad.checking out gas prices at the local Flying A and Richfield stations. He would wait for it to get down to 19.9 or 20.9 / gallon before taking our 1950 Chevy down for a fill up.

Remember Richfield? Became ARCO and then AM/PM.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
We used to go to Pilot / Flying J a lot and liked their RV lanes. Problem we find now is that people use them a lot who do not have an RV. And also then go into the place to get a sandwich at the fast food part and leave their car.

We have been out since July 13 coming from Tucson to OR Coast. We have noticed that P / FJ has most of the time been higher in price - so much so that even with my card they are more expensive.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
jmckelvy wrote:
I have stopped at several that have dedicated RV lanes. I like to use them when possible as I have the RV Rewards card which gets me discounted fuel.

But lately I have been reluctant to pull in to some as a lot of them are just chaotic madhouses.

X2

When you are new at RV'ing you think wow a station dedicated to a pleasant experience for RV'er's and their needs! NOT.

As you mentioned they ARE a madhouse.
Parked cars in front of stations blocking RV's trying to get out, inconsiderate people leaving their rigs at the pumps, people who don't have a clue how to drive their RV's, in and around pumps, And gawd forbid if you want to get propane x2 the whole experience, etc etc.

I stay away from Flying J/Pilot like the plague. Find a nice gas station with semi truck parking in the back off the interstate. Ahhh, makes for a peaceful fuel stop. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:
..You don't remember the Flying A brand of gasoline? ...
They sold Tydol and Veedol oil. ๐Ÿ™‚
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
I have stopped at several that have dedicated RV lanes. I like to use them when possible as I have the RV Rewards card which gets me discounted fuel. But lately I have been reluctant to pull in to some as a lot of them are just chaotic madhouses.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Mick9064 wrote:
I have parked in truck spots before but always feel guilty.

No need to feel guilty. As mentioned above, I'll move on rather than spend the night at a crowded spot.

Truckers understand the limitations we have with long RVs - finding parking spots - etc.

We have to understand that this is their JOB - how they make money to feed their families. And we are on a vacation - even us full-timers.

Don't block them in, but do feel free to use the truck parking area if there is room.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Golfcart
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing wrong with pulling into truck parking for the night at any truck stop

However, If the truck stop is full/nearing full ill push on to a less crowded stop and spend the night there. Those guys do it for a living, id hate to get in their way
2009 Sun Valley Road Runner 16ft
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
I often find a spot along a grassy area to park the rv after fueling to let the dogs out and have lunch. I have overnighted a few times and find the furthest one I can because the noise is a pain. No guilt.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
WNYBob wrote:
A word of caution at "RV pumps", Flying-J put a $150 temp charge on my CC! While at the same truck stop I got a $75 temp charge at an auto pump.

Not a big deal, but be aware.

All that means is that the car pump will cut you off at $75 (forcing you to reswipe if you need more gas than that) while the RV one pumps to $150 before cutting you off. I would generally prefer the latter when filling up my motorhome with its 55 gallon gas tank.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
History lesson ๐Ÿ™‚

Associated Oil Company

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
WNYBob wrote:
"You don't remember the Flying A brand of gasoline?"

I'm old but not that old!

What's your definition of old? Flying A was rebranded Phillips 66 in 1966 in the western US. The Flying A brand was retained on the east coast until 1970.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
"You don't remember the Flying A brand of gasoline?"

I'm old but not that old!

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
A word of caution at "RV pumps", Flying-J put a $150 temp charge on my CC! While at the same truck stop I got a $75 temp charge at an auto pump.

Not a big deal, but be aware.