cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

prohibited food items going into Canada

jim_behr
Explorer
Explorer
We are going into Canada (Maritimes) next week and still are unsure what food items are prohibited crossing the border into Canada. Has anyone made the crossing recently? thanks for your help
17 REPLIES 17

rvdivers
Explorer
Explorer
Go figure! We crossed about 3 weeks ago; we were traveling with another couple (in their rig)and they were directly behind us, same lane and same border patrol agent!! He made me dump my potatoes (thankfully I only had a few) and my apples. The couple traveling with us had apples and potatoes...he didn't even ask them. I had a beautiful package of blueberries from Costco but they didn't even ask about blueberries! Just came into Alaska, which is the U.S. ya know...and they didn't ask us about anything ~ fruit, veggies, meat. But the U.S. agent was sure friendly! Nice chap!
Steve'n'Kris

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Mvander wrote:
I think the rules change based on what the border patrol folks want for lunch

Kindly go look!!!!

Yes, questions may be influenced by latest virus or fungus. But dat ain't rules. That's giving priority to volume of probable trouble.

:R
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
I think the rules change based on what the border patrol folks want for lunch
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB

RangerJay
Explorer
Explorer
We cross at least a couple of times a year with our trailer and have done so for many years. We no longer worry about trying to adapt to the rules - and no longer even check to see what the rules are - the practice that allows us to cross in either direction worry free is simply to plan our grocery purchases and our crossing so that we do not have any perishables on board - or at least have minimized the amount we have - then we stock up on the other side. I can only think of twice that we lost something to the food police - once a lime - the other time a couple of steaks - in all our years of crossing these were not items to get stressed about.

Jay
2002 Bambi 19' - the "Toaster"
2009 Nissan Pathfinder - the "Buggy"

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
I cross almost weekly in to the US for shopping. It is now getting that prices on all goods except meat and dairy are pretty similar between the 2 countries.

Coming into Canada the big no-no for food importation is potatoes and blueberries, (yes blueberries). The only time we purchased said contraband in Michigan and tried bring them back to Canada we were directly asked point blank whether we had blueberries.
They were confiscated and I did look up the reasons online and found that a certain bug gets under the skin and is very hard to eradicate if spread. Same with potato bugs.
2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago, I crossed by boat at Bamfield. A sign at the dock directed us to an address a block up the street for customs. We knocked on the door, and a harried-looking young woman came to the door with a couple of toddlers hanging on her apron. We told her we wanted to clear customs, and she got the forms and asked us all the questions. We were cleared on all items until she came to, "Do you have any potatoes on board?" I said, "Yes, we have a ten pound bag of potatoes." She pondered a minute and then said, "If I were you, I would go back to the boat and make a big potato salad." I told her, "That was my plan from the very start." She handed us the papers and told us to enjoy our stay in Canada. We did.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

Brynjolf
Explorer
Explorer
Heading into Canada, I wouldn't be too concerned. Stay away from exotic fruits and vegetables. For the most part, try to keep the original packaging for everything you're bringing in.

On your way back into the US is where you'll encounter most of your food-related border crossing issues. Basically, no meat, cheese, eggs, fruits (including juice) or vegetables. There are exceptions, but they change weekly and its just not worth keeping up with it.

To tell the truth, the important thing (cost-wise) when crossing the border either way is to bring is condiments (salad dressing, ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, butter, etc) in their original containers - things that you'll only be using a little bit of and would be expensive to buy just for the trip.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
I go through the truck lane all the time,If I look like Iam hesitating person in orange vest is waving me that way .
Done both RV lane or commercial truck lane ,just make sure clearance is there.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

porkchop1221
Explorer
Explorer
I have no idea that there were restrictions on food and we weren not bothered at all. They asked if we had any alcohol and we had a case of beer I think. It might have helped that we had a sleeping 2 year old in the back that we weren't bothered.

Also reminder to self... we are NOT trucks so do NOT go in the truck only lane.

The only three options were 1) Auto 2) Bus 3) Truck.

I was concerned about the height and thought that we were less auto and more truck like.... The border patrol guy did NOT like the fact that we were in his lane... But I had no idea. It didn't say commercial vehicles only!

So don't make the same mistake we did!

PS we crossed at the 1000 lakes region.
2012 GMC 3500HD, Diesel, Crew Cab Standard Bed, SRW
2013 Cyclone 3010

Toys:
Ducati 749R
Aprilia RSV4

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just crossed today and chose to come through with no produce at all and had a list of all of our meat products, We weren't asked about food but we were asked about firearms and liquor.
There is a Costco in Canada at our destination, so restocking wasn't a problem, and the prices weren"t bad.
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
We have found big differences in border crossings. eg: Sumas/Huntington crossing usually quite reasonable both ways. Osoyoos/Oroville crossing, quite anal but at least generally pleasantly so both ways.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
We crossed about a week ago. The border agent didn't ask any questions but we were prepared. We stocked minimal food before crossing. Remember, Canada is NOT a third world country, there are grocery stores readily available. We restock as needed and are better off not carrying the extra weight.
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
There are some food items that are less expensive in the US that you should consider bringing with you, Chicken, milk, eggs, cheese, fruit juice and bread produts top the list.

Alcohol, beer & wine of course and if you smoke cigs they cost over $10.00 per 25 pack up here (booze & smokes carry what we refer to as a "sin tax")

Check the CBSA website for quanities but all of the above are ok for import subject to limits

Most other products are not priced that much different and if you use your credit card when shopping here you should realize a 3 to 5% bonus on the exchange rate making things even cheaper. Exchange rates for cash transactions are not likely to reflect the best available rate.

Don't know what you are driving but fill your tank on the US side as close to the border as possible. Gas here is running about $4.86 per US gallon and desiel a little more!

That being said - you are about to visit one of the most senic and friendliest places on the planet.

Welcome to the Maritimes!!
2006 Damon Challenger 348F Ford V10
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Blue Ox Aventa & Brake Buddy

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Green onions and peppers are currently on the do not take to the USA list.
Any produce that is packaged and/or has something to indicate it is a product of Canada or US in admissible. Last week I took brocoli across and it had an elastic band around it that said product of USA so that was OK. Tomatoes are considered a citrus fruit and all citrus is banned. I did recently read though that tomatoes and peppers that are washed and sliced are OK but I would not take the chance with those. As far as meats - goat, mutton and lamb are all prohibited into US.
Also any sacks of rice from Asian countries are not allowed. Uncle Bens, Minute Rice and such are not a problem.

My experience is mostly with crossing from Ontario into NY and Michigan. Crossings in other areas of Canada could be different.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)