cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renting RV Late Dec. - Phoenix-Denver...All Routes Unsafe?

supplyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Help please. First time Cruise America RV renter planning to take wife and 16 year old daughter from Phoenix to Denver via Grand Canyon and Four Corners 26-31 December in a 25' rental. Was trying to plan routes from Four Corners to Denver (Durango? Moab? Southerly route to I-25N?) and asked for route advice on Trip Advisor where I'm getting crushed for endangering my family and told to cancel trip. I have driven all over the world but admittedly never an RV. Are all routes really that risky due to weather? Second question - Cruise America suggested RV would be winterized upon arrival in Denver at my expense. Not concerned about cost, but isn't it too late to winterize there given the anticipated cold en route? Last question - planned to overnight at RV parks with full hookups, although I am still learning what that means. Presuming the RV should be winterized in Phoenix before departure - is a 5 day drive with no water/toilet/showers a miserable experience? Appreciate wisdom and patience as I learn. Otherwise I have to start looking at Plan B (Phoenix loop) or Plan C (eat the $300 deposit and plan a different Christmas break).
27 REPLIES 27

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Even if you get to the south rim, at 6800' you may find significant snow that makes it tough to walk out to some of the view points.

We've camped in the Tucson area in the time frame you are talking about and had a great time. But as we headed home, conditions got nasty. Now I'm a CO native, drive to go skiing all the time, and have camped with a trailer for 20 years, and it wasn't a fun drive once we got north of Phoenix.

Around Tucson you can visit the various parts of Saguaro NP and head over to Kartchner Caverns. Near Phoenix there are a couple of NM's preserving native ruins.

Another thing to note is that even in the summer, the limited amount of time your have would make your trip from Phoenix to Denver pretty rushed.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm with ALL the other responders thus far ... if you are on any sort of timetable and in fact regardless attempting what you are contemplating is almost guaranteed to be "DOOMED". Ditch the RV idea and drive/motel it.

I'm all for Rv'ers being an adventure, but being crazy is a very different story.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

SouthParkSteve
Explorer
Explorer
I LIVE in the mountains of Colorado, and we have to function up here year-round, even with snow. CDOT (CO Dept of Transportation) is really good about keeping roads clear and open. If there is an actual storm going on, you might want to wait it out and just find a place to park until it passes. As soon as the snow stops, the CDOT plows will have most of it off pretty quickly.

Wolf Creek Pass is really not that scary, but it does get the most snow in the state. Monarch Pass on US50 a bit further north is tough during an actual storm, but as long as you take it easy, it is actually not that bad--and it is relatively short (I believe it is about 25 miles all the way from one side to the other). The one challenge with Monarch is that you have to go through Gunnison--which can be the coldest spot on the planet at times. Temps as low as -25 during the day are not uncommon in late December, so do NOT have any water in any tanks on your way through there.

The bottom line is, if it is actually snowing or any of the passes have chain restrictions, you are driving in your living room. Just stop and take a break until the storm ends and the restrictions have been lifted, and you will be just fine. Make SURE you keep an eye on the weather, though, as driving mountain passes during a storm is not fun......

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Renting an expedition 4x4 with studded winter tires, air lockers, chains, emergency snow shoes, shobbels, matches, and provisions for 4 days will trigger weather such that you will drive on sun drenched dry highways the whole way. 🙂

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Been nearly 20 years living in CO and AZ and part time RVing 16 of those.

My suggestion for you - motel it for your circumstances and timing. Just too much of a gamble in so many aspects.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not really the best person to give advice, but will just throw a few thoughts into the mix.

Some people drive RV's in the Winter and enjoy the trip, other not so much.

Not sure you should take your first RV run in the dead of Winter in Colorado, so I would follow the advice to get a GOOD 4X4 and drive it and stay in Motels along the way. JMHO.

Keep your eyes on the weather no matter which method you use, It will change, faster than you can ever imagine.

Here are a couple of photos of Tiger Run one Winter.

Busskipper wrote:
We spent three winters in Colorado over the Winter-it can be a test but if the Coach is good for it you could really enjoy it.

From and old post -- Tiger Run;

Busskipper wrote:
Billinwoodland wrote:
Just wondering how many class A owners drive in winter road conditions such as snow and ice. Do you all carry chains? Wife and I are penciling out our retirement which includes class A and up north in the fall (hunting and fishing). I have seen it snow up at my vacation house in the mountains every month of the year except July and August. How prepared are you for nasty, cold weather and how do you deal with it?

I'm one of the Crazy one's who would rather run the heater than the Air Conditioner. Having spent a lot of time trying to enjoy overcrowded places in season when we could finally pick OUR season we found we enjoy it the way it was when we grew up. not really that crowded and a lot more natural.

All that said -- yes I have driven in snow, the most was probably about 8" on the road, no I do not use chains -- the clearances on the tires is just too tight and they would damage the Coach. I have found that if you have experience, these Buses will run pretty well in the snow -- yes they can get stuck and yes they DO NOT STOP in the snow and ice, so you need to drive appropriately, which can be painfully slow. The nice thing is if it is too bad you can spend the night and leave when the weather breaks.

Being prepared for nasty cold weather, it is most important in how you have the coach built Hydro-Hot is a must (IMHO) extra insulation is a must, understanding the spots that are just not built for the cold (like the front windshield and the rear floor over the Motor and the Axles -- these areas are just not as well insulated as the rest of the Coach. They will require some thoughtful preperation if you are to winter in a cold region.

I could go on and on but I think you get the idea -- be smart in the way you drive and in the coach you purchase and you will be able to enjoy the Winters like many RV'ers.

From an old post on tiger Run in Colorado;

without a doubt COLD and Snowy Looks cold but clear;

" Down right inviting this guy worked hard to keep the snow off; This is just really depressing and yes someone was in this Class C at the time; Not a lot of Campers up in the high country in the Winter – Might also look at Steamboat – never been there but have heard rumors of some winter camping there. We have spent a few winters in Golden – not that bad – had –17 for a week one year and 90 mile and hour winds for 6-8 hours once. Great little town and they push the snow off the sidewalks so you can ride your bikes. BOL, Great time to be in Colorado -- have done it fo three Decembers and will do it again when I get the chance. We have always stayed in Clear Creek in Golden -- right in town and can walk to a lot -- still only about 15 minutes to downtown -- the extremes are true but that just makes it more fun. From my times in Golden I still have a snow shovel in the Coach! BOL from and earlier post -- picture Most of the upper end coaches are good for extreme highs and lows in the weather, that said from my own personal experience Hydro Hot – and good electric heaters – will make the difference along with the other standards of a well built coach. Having spent three winters in Golden, just outside Denver, I can speak with personal experience on the matter. One year we had –17+- every night for a week, with no issues. The only two coaches that did not have any issues in the CG we were in, were mine and an American Eagle, both with Hydro-Hot. Unlimited hot water and warm even heat are hard to beat. Your windshield is the only thing that is not insulated or double pain so just add some reflective bubble wrap on the really cold nights and you should be fine. BOL and enjoy Denver -- we loved it in the winter, Our site during an early snow storm one year; Just to let people know, if you build them right they are fun Year Round. JMHO "

BOL,

While not the answer to your question the pictures might provide some insight.

BOL,

My advice would be to do a Southern swing and enjoy it rather than be learning in a very hostile environment in the Mountains, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Canyon de Chelly, Window Rock and maybe Lake Powell would be a good run (might even try Zion and more Utah)

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I would not advise Four Corners. Really...there is nothing there but open flat land and especially in winter it would be dismal, windy and cold.

Keep in mind that I-40 from Flagstaff to Albuquerque also is bad in winter. In fact, the interstate was closed down for us one year the end of April. You just never know.

I really would advise renting in Phoenix and go as far north as Sedona and if you're adventurous - on to Grand Canyon. For that you won't want to drive on 89A from Sedona up to Williams. It's steep, curvy and does get snow. Instead, take I-17 north from Sedona but it isn't great either if it snows.

Arizona is all about elevation. If you look on a map of it, the mild winter will be from Phoenix, west to Havasu City, south to Yuma and east to Benson. Don't try for Payson or Show Low. East of Benson will be nothing of interest in winter - flat and open. New Mexico is colder than Arizona, and true in the southern part. It's higher in elevation than Arizona's southern part. Getting up to Santa Fe you'll have snow. There's a ski area there.

We're not trying to discourage your trip but just trying to steer you in the right area during winter. There are plenty of great things to see in southern Arizona.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

supplyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Very much appreciate all the wisdom. Exploring limiting the drive to Phoenix-Sedona-Grand Canyon-Four Corners.....and maybe Santa Fe. Still doing homework.

VegasBT
Explorer
Explorer
Spend a night or two at Dutchman State Park near Phoenix, then head northwest to Dead Horse Ranch State Park. Go west to Lake Havasu and check out the London Bridge, then loop south to Yuma before coming into Tucson. Check out Bisbee, or go down to the Chiracahua National Monument and the OK Corral in Tombstone. All southern destinations that should have great weather and beautiful scenery!

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
My BIL makes his living as a logger and drives in all kinds of conditions. He has a diesel pusher and does not usually stay in rv parks. He has been caught out in bad areas and had to stay in the rv for days and has eventually had to find a rv park. Now the area you want to drive through is not weather friendly and if going to the canyou would probably find it closed to rv's/large vehicles. The roads you have questioned are ok but not maintained the best particularly on the reservations and are somewhat isolated at times.

As others have said rent a van or a class B unless there are more than 2 or 3 and plan to motel it. We have been caught trying to go north on I 25 and had to stay in a motel due to freezing roadways and steep roads not a nice thing at night as you should be aware. Besides if its only for 5 days you will spend most of it driving anyhow with little time to sight see and if it snows you just might sit in 1 place for the 5 days!! PHX to GC is a full day drive not counting driving thru the canyon area so stay in Flagstaff. Flag to 4 corners is about a good 1/2 day drive although there is really nothing to see at 4corners IMO and then to denver will be at least another 1 1/2 to 2 days particularly if trying to sight see! So at best you would be pushing your luck weather wise and not really enjoying the trip vacation wise.

If ya need get a copy of the latest trailer life, they have article on things around the east LA area, Sedona, and the places around there to visit and as noted you can come down to the tucson area and visit what is around here and down to the border if that excites you.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I'm an experienced RVer, and an experienced driver in snow and ice, having grown up in northern Ohio. The OP is from Virginia where I've lived for decades now, but I have no idea about how well he may handle driving in snow and ice.

There are two issues here, one being the driving in winter weather, the other being the RV water/heat/comfort situation. RVs are typically not insulated for winter camping. Not all RVs, mind you, just most. And I rather doubt the rental places pay the extra bucks for all-season rigs. A summer rig is going to be less than comfortable in temperatures below freezing simply because the floor, walls, and ceiling are going to stay cold no matter how much heat you throw at them via the furnace. This will make them feel cold even if you have the air temperature set to 80. That alone would make me go car and hotel.

That trip sounds like a great one, especially at that time of year. I'd love to see those places with snow. Just not in an RV.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with the other responders who say that you should cancel the RV trip and just motel it. The roads you are planning to use can be hazardous just for regular winter driving in a well-equipped vehicle driven carefully. At best, you won't be able to enjoy the trip due to the probable weather and having to get by with jugs of water for toilet use, being in cool sleeping conditions, trying to find open RV parks to spend the night in, etc. And then there's a good probability that you might get stuck somewhere due to road conditions and never make it to Denver. Where you're headed is not wise to do it in an RV, especially a rental that you have no experience with handling. Don't needlessly endanger your wife and daughter with a poor choice!

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that it is the wrong time of year. Flagstaff can get something called feet of snow, and while Virginia also gets several inches in a bad storm, at 7,200' elevation 12 inches of snow is likely during late December.

My first RV trip was also to the Grand Canyon over the 4 day Thanksgiving holiday. I saw practically nothing of the canyon, to much fog. I also had no furnace in that camper. So I went to Laughlin, where it was in the 70's along the Colorado river at 900' elevation! That was back in 1987, before weather.com

I would suggest taking the RV from Phoenix to Tucson, and stay at the campgrounds around there. Visit the air force base, and the airplanes around it. Saguaro National Park, with Old Tucson studio's and lots of cactus to look at.

There should also be things to see around Phoenix, check out the local guides.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware that you might need chains in some areas. It's the law.

I, too, would cancel the RV and motel it.

However, I'm not sure why you're planning this particular trip. Are you flying into Phoenix and flying out of Denver? Can you change your plans to fly into Phoenix and out of Phoenix or even Tucson. There are some wonderful sites to see in southern Arizona without getting into winter-type weather.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel