cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Road Atlas

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just ordered a new Garmin, we have AAA maps of the states, smartphones with all of that however I enjoy looking through the good old

Rand Mc Nally book to get an overall view of the state and local area. I see there are different ones out there, some have the GPS co ordinates etc now.

The electronics are fine but I can't travel without my torn up old map. What's out there now. What do you like.
19 REPLIES 19

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
AdirondackJack wrote:
We always have a Motor Carriers' Road Atlas on board. It shows all truck routes by State and I especially like to check for low bridges along my route. It keeps a handy record of all our routes traveled.

We also have the Motor Carriers Atlas which is helpful.
We have The Next Exit too, but haven't found this helpful yet as we are trying to travel "roads less traveled this trip" which is awesome!

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
Well if you think it's a good idea to go down that faint gray dotted line on the map then the responsibility is yours. And that's from someone who looks forward to heading down those obscure roads.

Yes, the line on the map just doesn't have the authority that the GPS voice has.

My old TomTom routinely warns about routes that might not be paved.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
#1Flyboy wrote:
. . .BENCHMARK Maps. . .On AMAZON. . .Shows all the info you need including Camping!!!!! I have them for all the Western states; they also have Apps if you need that. . . GOOD STUFF!!!!

X2, I just wish they had them for all the states.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Double post.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
After I've laid out my proposed directions, I check it against the trucker's road atlas. If they can make it through a tunnel, so can I.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
I have lived on the road for over 35 years trucking and rving and the best atlas you can buy is the $5.00 Rand McNally Road Atlas or the state maps you can get for free in the rest areas. Plain and simple . I do have a gps and use it a lot but don't ever think it won't get you in trouble at times. I wear out a road atlas about one per year.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
#1Flyboy wrote:
. . .BENCHMARK Maps. . .On AMAZON. . .Shows all the info you need including Camping!!!!! I have them for all the Western states; they also have Apps if you need that. . . GOOD STUFF!!!!

Totally agree! We started out full-timing using the Delorme Gazeteers for individual states but they can't compare to Benchmark. We, too, have them for all the western states because we spend so much time in each state.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry the Rand McNally Motor Carrier's Road Atlas and a RV and Camping road atlas (National Geographic maybe?) in the RV. The two have different key information, first about the types of roads, the second about recreation and camping destinations.

For most of my non-RV travel I prefer the Michelin road atlas because the maps are arranged geographically and have the same scale, rather than being organized by states and scaled to try to fit a state to a page. That's for general planning. In each state I'll have the road map issued by each state, usually either the highway map or the tourist map, for immediate reference.

I use an automotive GPS to keep track of where I am. I don't use it to feed me travel instructions, my routes change on a whim, using the numbered U.S. highways and state highways, and county roads only occasionally, in the states where county roads are on the state maps. I will use the GPS (or my smartphone maps) for guidance on "how do I get from this hotel to an IHOP" or "where is the nearest ..." questions. I pull off the road for that.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
And print maps never led anyone down a goat path - or a dirt road?
-------------------------------------------------------------

Well if you think it's a good idea to go down that faint gray dotted line on the map then the responsibility is yours. And that's from someone who looks forward to heading down those obscure roads.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

cheteckie
Explorer
Explorer
I have been known to have the Rand McNally in my lap next to my iPad set to Google Maps, with the GPS on the dash offering her insights.

Let's face it, sometimes you need all the help you can get!
2013 Allegro Bus
2013 Subaru WRX

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
And print maps never led anyone down a goat path - or a dirt road?

The paved FS/BLM road between Grants Pass and Gold River (OR) is perhaps the most notorious for stranding travelers (without the aid of GPS).

I've had to turn back a number of times while following roads on FS and Delourme Atlases (and Canadian Backroads). OK, this was in a soft SUV (or rental car), and trying to get as far into the mountains as I could.

A big problem with digital maps, especially the early ones, was they showed all roads in the same way. The data base lacked information on road quality. Print ones had a history of showing road type, and many years of user feedback.

I can get far more information about a route using my home computer than I ever got from map atlases.

I suspect that people who are good at using print maps are just as good with digital ones. They quickly learn the strengths and limitations of any map. People who blindly follow the GPS over railroad tracks and into a ditch would have done the same if their navigationally inept passenger had said 'turn here'. Getting lost and stuck, with or without maps, did not originate with GPS.

AdirondackJack
Explorer
Explorer
We always have a Motor Carriers' Road Atlas on board. It shows all truck routes by State and I especially like to check for low bridges along my route. It keeps a handy record of all our routes traveled.
2011 Excel 30RSO, 32', 3 slides, 4-Season 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty, 6.2L V8, 385hp

Exploring & writing about life along the Snowbird RV Routes

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I like the Michelin road atlas and I use Rand McNally as well, but the best maps are still the official state maps available at state visitor centers.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Delorme atlas and Gazetteer of each state you go to frequently.
Detail is the best
Traveling with my best friend my wife!