cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roll Call Alaska 2016

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
I have been planning this trip for 4+ years. It is now time to update my estimates and make my reservations.

Estimate Wash/BC border about 5 May 2016, north on route 97/1/2 to Tok, south to Valdez, make the hump to Anchorage, then to Homer and Seward, north to Denali, Fairbanks, back to TOK and off to Dawson, then south to Watson Lake, Smithers, then to CAN 16 east to Jasper,/Banff, on to Glacier in Montana, arriving early Sept so I can get thru the park then west to Kalispell. South thru the US to Houston area for the thanksgiving holiday and Florida for the Christmas holiday. Since I am sure it will be cold in Ohio I wont return home till April 2017.

Alaska here we come!!!!

G George

On edit, yup it's time to plan 2016. I edited your post to modify the title to be consistent with previous years; it will facilitate future searches for members.

... Eric (Moderator)
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty
782 REPLIES 782

Don8ch
Explorer
Explorer
missnmountains wrote:
In homer today. We plan 4 or 5 nights. Right now the wind is howling. We plan on fishing Monday assuming the weather forcast is correct and the winds settle down. The road down was fine but windy down the turnagain arm.

Ken

Aren't you glad that you have Comfort Drive?
Don

2014 Newmar Ventana 4037
2016 GMC Canyon SLT Crew cab, long box

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
Arrived in Whitehorse last Monday, took TOAD to Skagway on Wednesday and Dawson City on Friday. Will depart Whitehorse on Monday AM for Beaver Creek, AK.

Lizzie: it is nice to know I am ahead of someone.

I checked out the ferry at Dawson, I am sure I would have left some fiberglass behind if I boarded that ferry.
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
In homer today. We plan 4 or 5 nights. Right now the wind is howling. We plan on fishing Monday assuming the weather forcast is correct and the winds settle down. The road down was fine but windy down the turnagain arm.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

DakotaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
George and I are in Telkwa, BC tonight having made the decision to continue north via the Cassiar. It's been an interested trip so far to say the least and we are just getting started. Love the area here in Telkwa/Smithers. Beautiful scenery.
Sally

2006 Ford F-550
2006 Lance 1191 Truck Camper
Torklift Tiedowns, FastGuns, SuperHitch, FastGun Wobble Stoppers, Lock and Load Cargo Carrier
2008 Surveyor 260BH Fifth Wheel
Torklift GlowStep Revolution, B&W Companion Hitch

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
We are in whitehorse until monday. Anyone planning to drive the Dempster highway next week? The ferry from prince Rupert was beyond wonderful. Haines is my new favorite town. We stayed four days & may go back. Took the fast ferry to Skagway go a day trip....interesting. is everyone having fun? Lizzie

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
From a news article:

Provincial officials say it could take weeks to rebuild sections of Highway 97 through the Pine Pass and reconnect Northeast B.C. to the southern reaches of the province.
The highway is currently closed between Chetwynd and the Mackenzie Junction after a torrential downpour this week washed out several sections of highway and rail lines through the pass.

See more at: alaskahighwaynews.ca/regional-news/pine-pass-rebuild-could-take-weeks
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

DwayneN
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I stayed in Vaderhoof, BC the last two days. We needed s
A break from the driving. Today we should make it to the Cassiar Hwy. The drive from Banff to Nasper was beautiful.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Dawson Creek has declared a state of emergency due to the flooding in the city.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/family-with-baby-rescued-by-helicopter-hundreds-of-pr...

The article also states, "Highway 97 near Chetwynd, which links the Peace region to the rest of B.C., remains closed with multiple locations completely washed-out or severely damaged, especially in the area of Pine Pass."

Pictures from the article:

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

bigboomer
Explorer
Explorer
Rambling RV Rat: Fairbanks, AK - Stop 20 on our Trek North to Alaska

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/2016/06/fairbanks-ak-stop-20-on-our-trek-north.html?m=1

Still trying to get the click to work.....maybe it is just the mobile phone that won't allow it....
www.ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com

'09 Int'l Durastar 4400LP
'15 Montana 3610RL
3 - 270W Solar Panels
6- 305amp AGM's
Magnum 2812 Inv
Midnite Solar Classic 150
Trimetric 2030RV
Primus 40 Wind

http://s962.photobucket.com/user/mybigboomer/library/RV%20Solar%20System

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
HEAD'S UP to those travelling north through Prince George and Dawson Creek. Highway 97 north of Prince George (at Pine Pass) is closed in both directions today, due to flooding from heavy rain.

Here is the article from CBC.

Keep up to date and check status of the closure at http://www.drivebc.ca/
sue t.

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
Caysea wrote:
Hi All
We are in Denali national park enjoying the hiking Weather is great. Staying at the savage campsite. Riley camp sight tomorrow night and then head to Talkeetna. I think we will do a fly over to Mt Denali from there.
Chance encounter with someone from here on the Denali park bus. My wife and I just finished up the Savage Alpine Trail hike and waved down a park bus. When we sat down I looked to my left and recognized a fellow member who has a blog I have read here. Missmountains is the blog. We were really rushed and didn't get to exchange info so hope to see them again along the journey

KC

It was a pleasure meeting the two of you. What are the odds?

Ken

See our updates. The link is in my signature.
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

Caysea
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All
We are in Denali national park enjoying the hiking Weather is great. Staying at the savage campsite. Riley camp sight tomorrow night and then head to Talkeetna. I think we will do a fly over to Mt Denali from there.
Chance encounter with someone from here on the Denali park bus. My wife and I just finished up the Savage Alpine Trail hike and waved down a park bus. When we sat down I looked to my left and recognized a fellow member who has a blog I have read here. Missmountains is the blog. We were really rushed and didn't get to exchange info so hope to see them again along the journey

KC
Ford F350 KR SRW 4X4
NL 10 RD

Shirleyshusband
Explorer
Explorer
Just thought I'd check in. We're at Whitehorse, roads up have been fine so far. A little construction and gravel here and there but if taken slow, 35 ish, no problem. AT&T hasn't worked at all in Yukon, as the salesmen said it would. Grr. It's funny how many people you keep bumping into, camp after camp. Saw the follies last night and I'd recommend it to anyone... Lot's of laughs.
Headed to Dawson city then tow. Probably take a week to do so. Safe travels.

idaho556
Explorer
Explorer
The most I paid was in Whitehorse 1.08 per liter ,with the exchange come out to 3.13 a gallon ,we are in Tok and paid 2.68 a gallon . This is diesel.

Drove from Whitehorse to Tok today and was not the best road for sure it the worst we encountered so far road construction ,washboard ,delay ,and Frost heaves . took us about 9 hr, anybody can do it just take easy, safe travel everyone.

Staying at Sourdough campgound , in Tok, what great place, entertainment ,free wifi,car wash,plus more. look up on Internet folks it a great place.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that GasBuddy doesn't have all the stations listed so don't just rely on it.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel