cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roll Call Alaska 2016

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
I have been planning this trip for 4+ years. It is now time to update my estimates and make my reservations.

Estimate Wash/BC border about 5 May 2016, north on route 97/1/2 to Tok, south to Valdez, make the hump to Anchorage, then to Homer and Seward, north to Denali, Fairbanks, back to TOK and off to Dawson, then south to Watson Lake, Smithers, then to CAN 16 east to Jasper,/Banff, on to Glacier in Montana, arriving early Sept so I can get thru the park then west to Kalispell. South thru the US to Houston area for the thanksgiving holiday and Florida for the Christmas holiday. Since I am sure it will be cold in Ohio I wont return home till April 2017.

Alaska here we come!!!!

G George

On edit, yup it's time to plan 2016. I edited your post to modify the title to be consistent with previous years; it will facilitate future searches for members.

... Eric (Moderator)
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty
782 REPLIES 782

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Deep Creek Beach north of Homer was very interesting, dry camping.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a place near Mackenzie for the night 36ft fifth wheel and 38ft motorhome.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
The US National Weather Service Alaska and the Division of Forestry are warning of reduced visibility for drivers along Turnagain Arm (south of Anchorage) due to forest fire smoke.

There are numerous significant fires in Alaska, and many in NWT. Yukon is a bit smoky due to those fires.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Tgator1
Explorer
Explorer
rag-ftw wrote:

We are currently in Ninilchik at the All Seasons RV Park. It isn't on the spit but at $18 a night I can drive down to Homer and stick my dollar bill on the wall!

We just reserved a spot in All Seasons. It's $21 for Passport America members.
Tgator1
2016 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

Tarheel_2
Explorer
Explorer
GGeorge wrote:
In Homer: Oceanview RV Park is overrated by GS. Sights are not level, cable is $170 extra for 5 nights, dust everywhere and the grass needs cut. NO refunds.

George-
We stayed there also. They permitted me to wash my coach for $10 (price no problem), but the weeds behind my coach were as tall as I am, so by the time I finished the back, I was soaked by the wet weeds. I don't think they own a mower or weedeater. A few people at the bottom of the hill would fly down with dust flying everywhere. I took one of their three 50 amp sites and my sewer connection was almost as high as my tank.

Two days of bear viewing at Hyder resulted in only seeing one grizzly.

Hope your next stop is better. We just crossed the lower border this afternoon and are headed for Yellowstone.
Dick
Tarheel

fishhogg
Explorer
Explorer
DakotaCamper wrote:
We just finished up four days at Denali. Wow. Just wow. Saw lots of bears and caribou, but no moose or Dall sheep. Also was not able to see much of the mountain due to cloud cover. Luckily we were able to see it when we drove up from Trapper Creek. I would love to go back for a longer stay but we are in Fairbanks now. If I do go back, I definitely want to stay IN the park. I would love to camp at Teklanika but would settle for Riley Creek. Staying at Riverview RV Park in Fairbanks at the moment. Great wi-fi connection and the park looks decent. Sorry you are unhappy with the place in Homer, GGeorge. We stayed at Heritage RV park out on the spit and enjoyed it, even though it was pricey.

Has anyone driven over the Top of the World highway in the last couple of weeks? Looking for road condition updates. Is it feasible to drive from Tok to Dawson in one day without beating up the 5'er? Any recommendations for stopping places? Thanks!
. The road is good we went from Tok to Dawson and back late June. Take your time 187 mile each way the middle section is the worst. Some people take a day others do it in in 8 hours. Their are camp grounds along the way.

DakotaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
sljohnson1938 wrote:
we are currently in Seward, AK. having great time. staying at the city campground. tomorrow heading to Homer, AK.

stuart and her - aka = Darlene.

Glad to see you are out here. I was worried something had happened. Have fun in Homer. We had a blast there with King and Bernie.
Sally

2006 Ford F-550
2006 Lance 1191 Truck Camper
Torklift Tiedowns, FastGuns, SuperHitch, FastGun Wobble Stoppers, Lock and Load Cargo Carrier
2008 Surveyor 260BH Fifth Wheel
Torklift GlowStep Revolution, B&W Companion Hitch

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
we are currently in Seward, AK. having great time. staying at the city campground. tomorrow heading to Homer, AK.

stuart and her - aka = Darlene.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

DakotaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
We just finished up four days at Denali. Wow. Just wow. Saw lots of bears and caribou, but no moose or Dall sheep. Also was not able to see much of the mountain due to cloud cover. Luckily we were able to see it when we drove up from Trapper Creek. I would love to go back for a longer stay but we are in Fairbanks now. If I do go back, I definitely want to stay IN the park. I would love to camp at Teklanika but would settle for Riley Creek. Staying at Riverview RV Park in Fairbanks at the moment. Great wi-fi connection and the park looks decent. Sorry you are unhappy with the place in Homer, GGeorge. We stayed at Heritage RV park out on the spit and enjoyed it, even though it was pricey.

Has anyone driven over the Top of the World highway in the last couple of weeks? Looking for road condition updates. Is it feasible to drive from Tok to Dawson in one day without beating up the 5'er? Any recommendations for stopping places? Thanks!
Sally

2006 Ford F-550
2006 Lance 1191 Truck Camper
Torklift Tiedowns, FastGuns, SuperHitch, FastGun Wobble Stoppers, Lock and Load Cargo Carrier
2008 Surveyor 260BH Fifth Wheel
Torklift GlowStep Revolution, B&W Companion Hitch

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
In Homer: Oceanview RV Park is overrated by GS. Sights are not level, cable is $170 extra for 5 nights, dust everywhere and the grass needs cut. NO refunds.
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty

MamaGoose
Explorer
Explorer
bigboomer wrote:
Rambling RV Rat: Portage Valley, AK - Stop 27 on our Trek North to Alaska

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/2016/07/portage-valley-ak-stop-27-on-our-trek.html?m=1

Wonderful blog! Thanks for sharing!

bigboomer
Explorer
Explorer
Rambling RV Rat: Portage Valley, AK - Stop 27 on our Trek North to Alaska

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/2016/07/portage-valley-ak-stop-27-on-our-trek.html?m=1
www.ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com

'09 Int'l Durastar 4400LP
'15 Montana 3610RL
3 - 270W Solar Panels
6- 305amp AGM's
Magnum 2812 Inv
Midnite Solar Classic 150
Trimetric 2030RV
Primus 40 Wind

http://s962.photobucket.com/user/mybigboomer/library/RV%20Solar%20System

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
lizzie wrote:
If you are "fast approaching" it may be to late to get into a NP campground. We stayed at Cantwell this time and found it to be very nice. We chose it because we wanted to explore more of the Denali Hwy with just our 4x4 truck. I agree that staying in the park gives you a better "feel". Do it if you can. lizzie

In addition to our 5 nights at Teklanika on a whim we boondocked nearby the previous night and we got 5 nights in Riley Creek in Denali just by driving in.

It's always worth trying and staying in Denali is so very nice.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Ernest
Explorer
Explorer
marsharini wrote:
Just last week we made reservations for Teklanika for July 22 - 25. There are tons of ways in Alaska to kill time until it's time to head into the park.

You will have the time of your life. Remember you'll be driving in about 43 miles so take your time and look for wildlife. You can stop and take pictures. Just like just like being in your own private tour bus. Just don't block the road. The ranger activities in the campground were unbelievable and very personal.
Ernest & Joanne
2000 Tradewinds 300 CAT
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Travelingonthetradewinds.blogspot.com 2014 Alaska Blog
Travelingonthetradewinds1.blogspot.com 2017 South West Blog

marsharini
Explorer
Explorer
lizzie wrote:
If you are "fast approaching" it may be to late to get into a NP campground. We stayed at Cantwell this time and found it to be very nice. We chose it because we wanted to explore more of the Denali Hwy with just our 4x4 truck. I agree that staying in the park gives you a better "feel". Do it if you can. lizzie

Just last week we made reservations for Teklanika for July 22 - 25. There are tons of ways in Alaska to kill time until it's time to head into the park.