cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roll Call Alaska 2016

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
I have been planning this trip for 4+ years. It is now time to update my estimates and make my reservations.

Estimate Wash/BC border about 5 May 2016, north on route 97/1/2 to Tok, south to Valdez, make the hump to Anchorage, then to Homer and Seward, north to Denali, Fairbanks, back to TOK and off to Dawson, then south to Watson Lake, Smithers, then to CAN 16 east to Jasper,/Banff, on to Glacier in Montana, arriving early Sept so I can get thru the park then west to Kalispell. South thru the US to Houston area for the thanksgiving holiday and Florida for the Christmas holiday. Since I am sure it will be cold in Ohio I wont return home till April 2017.

Alaska here we come!!!!

G George

On edit, yup it's time to plan 2016. I edited your post to modify the title to be consistent with previous years; it will facilitate future searches for members.

... Eric (Moderator)
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty
782 REPLIES 782

GramaofAAAA
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning to go this year as well. Planning, planning and more planning....

boomersooner198
Explorer
Explorer
Very early stages of planning process (about 5 years from retirement). Planning on upgrading to a Class A before then. Love reading comments and learning lots of stuff, even my wife is getting excited about the planning process.
Bob and Brenda
Army Retired / Army Veteran
Sooner, Sumay, and Tex (German Shepherd, Walker Treeing Coon Hound, Mutt)
2011 Coachmen Catalina 24RBS towed by 2016 Ford F150 Crew Cab

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Caysea, there is already a 2016 ongoing post.

Have fun planning and be sure to look at the 'Sticky' on the very top of this forum for Helpful Ideas. It's very worthwhile.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Caysea
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All
Starting to plan and gather information for the 2016 season. Will be leaving from the Sarasota Florida area. I know it's early for the tread will be checking back as the months slip by.
Always fun to read about fellow members and there travels. Will be looking for 2015 trip updates.

Caysea
Ford F350 KR SRW 4X4
NL 10 RD

dannydimitt
Explorer
Explorer
sue.t wrote:
Most RVers travelling to Alaska whip on through Yukon. Yet, if one enjoys exploring backroads and drycamping away from the crowds, Yukon has much to offer.

Yukon has a population of about 36,000, with about 28,000 of those living in Whitehorse. Most of the others live in the smaller communities. Then there's a few of us scattered here and there with wildlife for our neighbors. It's been a busy summer for animals in our area - moose, bear, elk, wolf, lynx and bison nearby.

We spent quite a bit of time in the Yukon on our trip , and can honestly say it was best part of the trip .

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Most RVers travelling to Alaska whip on through Yukon. Yet, if one enjoys exploring backroads and drycamping away from the crowds, Yukon has much to offer.

Yukon has a population of about 36,000, with about 28,000 of those living in Whitehorse. Most of the others live in the smaller communities. Then there's a few of us scattered here and there with wildlife for our neighbors. It's been a busy summer for animals in our area - moose, bear, elk, wolf, lynx and bison nearby.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
We planned to go in 2015. 2000 miles into a 5000 mile trip (going west) we had a death in family so we turned east on I-80 and followed the sun every morning for 10 days to get home.

We now plan to head out in early May from the NE and take our time on the journey to and from the last real frontier. We plan to spend some time in Sue Thomas's neck of the woods. Her pictures make the area look like a place to be seen.

Lakeside

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would not hesitate to use a Milepost or Church book that was several years old. Newer ones will be more up to date of course.

In 2013 I emailed the Church's that 2 of the 3 CGs in Watson Lake were closed. Their delayed response was that they had seen that earlier in the year. No big deal but by the end of the summer it still was not in their online updates so I'm not sure why they even have a online update. The book is very good but like anything not always accurate. It's all part of the adventure and one should expect the unexpected.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Bump

marsharini
Explorer
Explorer
hr0082 wrote:
Maybe you can sell to Tour Saver book to someone on this list?

We'll have to eat the cost of the Tour Saver book since I bought the electronic version.

The Milepost is mostly ads. I think there's enough information out there on Alaskan travel each year to forego a new Milepost next year.

We're disappointed, of course, but will look forward to going next year.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Milepost will still be good. The Church book is good but don't expect perfection. The tour book will be obsolete in 2016. We're planning to go in 2016 and will purchase the tour book.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

hr0082
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you can sell to Tour Saver book to someone on this list?

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Marsharini: don't bother purchasing a new Milepost for next year. It's going to change very little and since you have Church's book that's all you need for camping/RVing/boondocking spots.

The Milepost is good for road information and history. But that doesn't change.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

marsharini
Explorer
Explorer
We were supposed to go this year, even bought the Milepost, Church's guide and TourSaver, then we had a death in the family and I became involved in estate settlement, which should take up most of the summer.

Definitely headed to Alaska next year.

Christl
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks:. We are beginning to plan our trip from Ontario to the Yukon starting non later than mid May 2016. Our experience during our 60 days trip to the east coast 2 years ago was that we will start adding 2 unplanned days for every week of a planned trip. That totals about 2 extra weeks of free time added to a 70 day trip totalling 90 days or 3 months. We will continue to monitor this site for all the tips we can get. We will be using the CAA eTrip Planner to assist us in planning the trip on a daily basis.