cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rte. 36 Kansas & Missouri

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
As a change from interstate driving, we are considering taking Rte 36 across Missouri and Kansas to Denver. Is this route RV friendly and any recommendations as to where to overnight or things to see. What about road conditions and truck traffic?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)
9 REPLIES 9

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did the trip last summer both directions, from Loveland to points east in Illinois and Indiana. The portion through Kansas and Missouri were an easy drive, but each state had a unique perspective.

Kansas was much more "wide open space" being more the Great Plains area, particularly as you get further west. And in KS, you've got that elevation change, albeit gradual. And Kansas in the summer is very HOT! Was well over 100 most of the way, so make sure your vehicle is in tip-top shape. Lots to see along the way, and as others have stated, most every small town along the way has a nice city park. With one exception -- Phillipsburg. Not so nice. And that's a shame, because it looks like, at one time it was. Maybe money issues in upkeep? And we also stopped at the Geographical Center of the USA, definitely worth a short hop off US 36 to check it out. Roadway across Kansas was good 2-lane road, with some passing lane sections here and there. As you get further west, it becomes more rolling hills, hence the need sometimes for those 3rd lanes. Truck traffic was not an issue at all, and speeds were consistent, a good 60mph is doable. Keep in mind that, in KS, the little towns seem to be about 30-40 miles apart, so plan gassing up accordingly!

Missouri was a lot different. More trees, more people, more traffic...4-lane all the way across the state from St Joe to Hannibal. Again an easy drive, but lots of up/down hilly sections, not big, just...there. Not quite as hot as KS, but a LOT more humid...very noticeable. Larger towns along the way, more places to gas up, nice small towns, some with nice parks as well, for getting out and stretching legs.

I'd definitely do that route again, sure beats I-70 for stress reduction. Just take your time and enjoy!
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the great suggestions. We will definitely take Rte. 36 - it will be so much more interesting that the interstates and we will have the time.

We enjoy staying in small town parks - we feel like we are helping the locals who usually make you feel so welcome and are proud of where they live.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

PotKorn
Explorer
Explorer
U.S. 36 is a great drive. Stop in Hannibal, right on the Mississippi River, to visit Mark Twain's home and related sites -- Becky Thatcher's father's store, Mark Twain Cave (formerly Injun Joe's Cave when you could still say such a thing), the statue of Tom and Huck and the lighthouse on Cardiff Hill, and much more. Mark Twain lake has a great campground, and Twain's birthplace at Florida, MO.

On the west side of the state, on the Missouri River, is St. Joseph, home to the Pony Express and a great museum. There are several charming towns along the way, and the highway is excellent.

In Kansas, small towns like Hiawatha (ask about the special grave in the town cemetery), Washington, Belleville, and others have great attractions, and several have town parks where you can camp for next to nothing.

Have a great trip!

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
X6 on a thumbs up for route 36 across MO and KS. We did that route back in May 2012. All divided highway across MO and good 2 lane across KS.

Pony Express Home Station in Marysville, KS.

We did an overnight at Prairie Dog State Park.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
I go across 36 a lot and never run into much traffic at all . You will come up behind a slow car/truck or you may have a fast one wanting by but all in all it is a great ride across the High Plains with a lot of Indian and Pioneer history. Most of the little towns along the way will advertise what they have to see. In Kansas, when you get to Belleville or Norton....fill it up !

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
US 36 across MO is mostly 4 lane divided. We use to travel to CO frequently from central IL and preferred US 36. Much better than traveling I-70 or I-80. Not problem pulling a RV of any kind. We find more to see on US 36 than taking the interstates.

Geographic center of the US north of US 36 in Kansas

Pony Express in Marysville, KS
Camped in every state

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
We have taken 36 across Missouri several times and will do that again this summer. Good road, traffic is normally moderate to light, and not a lot of slow downs for towns. Depending on where we are headed, we have also taken 36 across Kansas. That is about the same.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of our favourite routes. It can be a real mixed bag of traffic but most of it beats using I70 by a long way.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

CaptPicky
Explorer
Explorer
I'm familiar with 36 from Missouri to central Kansas. It's a 2 lane road in decent condition. There is a lot of truck traffic. My family is from Belleville which is about half way across the state. They have a great City park with hookups that would make a great overnight stop.
Retired Firefighter, Inspector, Investigator
2006 Cedar Creek Silverback 5th wheel
2002 F-350 Crew Cab DRW 7.3 Powerstroke
3 kids
2 dogs
1 wife