Did you mean: 

rving up the USA eastern coast

3dognite
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to start in Tampa, FL and leisurely drive up the east
coast of the US as far as Bar Harbor. We would like any suggestions on
RV parks and "must see" places to visit. Would it be wise to purchase a
a campground membership, such as Thousand Trails?

We are towing a 34' 5th wheel.
Thanks for any ideas/suggestions.

We like to stay in RV parks with full hookups. We have 2 dogs so like
to take them on long walks. Would also like to visit Charleston, The Outer Banks area, NYC, Boston, Ohio (hall of fames)
9 REPLIES 9

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ohio is not on the eastern coast; it's about two day's travel inland. That's not to suggest you can't loop through going in one direction, of course, just it's not really on your way between FL and ME.

For NYC, Boston, and DC (and probably Pilly too), I suggest parking at a metro/commuter rail lot and taking the subway around. Driving and especially parking a decent sized truck would be tough, and pulling a 35' fifth wheel around the cities when sightseeing practically impossible.

Jekyll island comes to mind as a good place to stop for a day or two.

anchorspace
Explorer
Explorer
When you get to Bar Harbor, take your dogs to Little Long Pond. It's our unofficial dog park (you won't get in trouble for letting your dogs go off leash). 🙂 Also Hunters Beach is a nice dog spot to let them run around!

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Bar Harbor/Acadia is definitely a must see. If you are into history at all, Williamsburg, VA, and Gettysburg, PA should be on your list. Boston has much to see and do but the RV would have to be left at a campground. Parking the truck would be difficult, but not undoable. You don't say what time of year you'd be traveling, but keep in mind that with just a few exceptions campgrounds up here don't open until April and close by Columbus Day. Holiday weekends and peak summer season (end of June through end of August) book up very quickly. You should give serious consideration to reservations during those time frames.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
If time is no limit, and your rig is appropriate, the route I like is Smokey Mtn NP, then the length of the Blue Ridge Pkwy, then east to Cherry Hill in DC, from there the Philadelphia, NY, Boston area for history and sights, then on to Maine. On the way back vary the route to see things like Amish country in Pa, Gettysburg, LuRay Caverns, Ashville,NC , or coastal areas like Savanah, Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, Charleston, etc on the way up or back. I make this run to/from Maine every summer and this is just a partial list of points of interest. In Maine, you could start with Old Orchard Beach, Portland, Freeport(LL Bean) BoothBay Harbor, Camden, then Acadia NP. Cadillac Mtn is the highest point on the NE coast. Further north in Maine Quoddy Light near Lubec is the farthest point NE in the US. Further inland in Maine Baxter State Park is the terminus of the App Trail, Moosehead Lake is a few miles south. Moxie Falls and The Forks all scenic wilderness areas of pristine lakes and streams. And in the NW corner of Maine is the Allagash River wilderness area. This is just a partial list of places I have visited in Maine and along the way. Others can add many more. Go to the library or Barnes&Noble. Lots of good travel guides with suggested routes are available for each area of the East Coast.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. 🙂

slay
Explorer II
Explorer II
I suggest you look at roadtripusa.com. It offers two routes for the east coast. One is Atlantic Ocean from Key West to New York, the other is Appalachian Trail from northern Georgia to Maine. Both would offer you a place to begin.
Steve and Vivian
2013 Winnebago Vista 35F
2016 Ford Fiesta pushing from behind
Coffee is the sustenance of life

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Drive 20-250 miles STOP explore for a week then repeat......up the coast and then back down the interior.

Time it to reach northern area by start of fall.......experience the fall colors and then follow the changes as you return south.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Moved from Forum Technical Support

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
I would not do Thousand Trails. I would get a Good Sam card, a Passport America discount card and the America the Beautiful pass if you qualify.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
I would post this under the "Roads and Routes" forum.
It would also help if we knew your interests. Do you like full hookup commercial campgrounds or state parks? What type of places do you like to see when you travel? Do you want to see big cities like DC and NY?
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi