cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sept I-10 Trip

Mjoseph320
Explorer
Explorer
DH and I are planning a trip from Southwest Michigan to California via I-10. We will have about 2 weeks to make the trip and haven't decided which route to take from Michigan to I-10.

We want to go into New Orleans, see the Alamo, and do the river walk. Other than that we don't know what else we should stop and see since we're a bit short on time.

We'll be pulling a 36' FW with our F-450. We stop at rest areas or truck stops when we're just driving from one point to another and stop in campgrounds when we are going to stay and do some sightseeing.

We enjoy national parks, historical sites, and the silly roadside attractions (the worlds biggest....)

Any suggestions for don't miss things?
2005 "New to Us" Thor Wanderer, 21'
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
10 REPLIES 10

Mjoseph320
Explorer
Explorer
It all sounds great. I'm getting antsy to get going!

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Once you leave San Antonio use US 90 instead of I-10 to Van Horn. 90 goes through Del Rio (Amistad Lake), Langtry (Judge Roy Beans town), Marfa (weird lights), and several other points of interest.

Overall the mileage and time to drive are about the same on 10 or 90 unless you intend to drive at 85 on the interstate. I-10 in west TX has an 85 mph speed limit.

Fuel is expensive West of San Antonio until you hit the NM/TX border, so fill in the larger towns where there is some competition.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
This is a second to 2gypsies vote for the Nachez Trace. Run the 444 miles of no cross traffic and enjoy it all. Buy a book before if you can or get one at the Meriwether Lewis memorial. If you are in SE MI, I could lend you the book, but will need it back before July. Detour to Vicksburg for a day. Even if you don't have a geezer pass, drive the loop with the tape or a smart phone.

I can't tell you where to hold up in NOLA because we didn't.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Mjoseph320
Explorer
Explorer
Actually it's only two weeks from Michigan to Cali. We're starting in Cali but taking the shortest direct route to Michigan, visiting Mom, and then doing the two week drive home. We've done the 40, the 70, the 80 and the 94 many times over the years. Only did the 10 once and it was about 15 years ago without many stops.

I really appreciate the suggestions and am making notes! Thank you so much

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Two weeks for California via Louisiana from Michigan and back is very ambitious and you won't have time for many stops. Unless you do high mileage days on the interstate it could easily take a week just for one direction.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing you need to check into, that is around the time "Cruising The Coast" car show/rally takes place. They start in Florida and cruise up the cost on I-10. Hotels and RV parks are usually booked up. When we go down to the coast, we stay in Bay St. Louis.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another vote for the Natchez Trace Parkway, but I would route myself through Nashville (where the parkway starts) and make Nashville one of my destinations, two or three days there at least, for all of the Music City and historical Tennessee points of interest.

From SW Michigan to Nashville is likely taking you through Louisville (and bourbon country for maybe a distillery visit), then Bowling Green to see where the Corvette Museum fell into a sinkhole. Might even take you through Indianapolis, and if you do, you want to see the Speedway Museum out in Speedway Indiana.

You will be going through Houston between New Orleans and San Antonio. I visited Houston often on business, and towards the end of my wife's life the Texas Medical Center. My experience, I think it is worth a visit to see the Space Center, and see how a multicultural city works when there are few rules constraining how and where people choose to live. But if you are from Southern California, what's going on in Houston is probably no big deal, kind of the same lifestyle but without the beach and without the water shortage constraints.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
From Michigan you could take 57/55 down toward Memphis and pick up the Natchez Trace Parkway ending at Baton Rouge - lots of history and a beautiful drive. Then go to New Orleans. There are some nice state parks around New Orleans such as Fairview-Riverside or Fontainbleau. Drive into the city and book a city tour for a great overview. It's the best way to see a large city especially if you're short on time.

As far as time - for a two-week trip I'd recommend stopping at Arizona (Grand Canyon) and then head north into southern Utah for the great national parks - Zion, Bryce, Arches, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands before returning home via I-40 or I-70. Your two weeks is really a short time for that many miles.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
When you head through Arizona on I-10, you need to stop and see the "THING". It's one of those must see items on a trip like yours and it's right along the interstate.

It will cost you $2 to see it though 😉

Here's a website that discusses it. Use this website for some of your highway adventures in other spots too.

Roadside America

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
For New Orleans we stay an hour north off I-12 in Livingston LA at the Lakeside RV Park. Long level pull thrus - I would make reservations. Ponchartrain Landing is another option but we found it was difficult to get to. Don't miss the World War II Museum in New Orleans.
west of San Antonio we like Balmorhea State Park.
where in California is your final destination?
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi