cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling in Utah

randco
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip for 2016. We will be driving a 40' coach towing a Jeep.

We are planning to stay near Hurricane, UT. After our tours in Zion we want to go to Bryce. My route is Hwy 17 north to I-15 north. Travel on I-15 to Hwy 20 then head east until we get to Hwy 89. We take Hwy 89 south to Hwy 12 to Cannonville, UT.

I think I had read somewhere that Hwy 14 was not advised.

After touring Bryce we want to continue on Hwy 12 eastbound from Cannonville to Torrey, UT. on Hwy 12.

After Torrey, we will continue east on Hwy 24 until we reach I-70 which we will take east to Hwy 191 to Moab, UT.

Any routing advice will be appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Whether you choose to drive the RV over it or not, the UT-12 Scenic Byway is worth exploring. We have spent a couple of weeks in the area and not seen it all. Follow the links in the above website to see what interests you. If you want a good alternative route; coming from the South take UT-62 from US-89. At Koosharem, turn right on Browns Lane which will take you to UT-24 to Torrey and Capitol Reef. It is not all that much longer and is a scenic drive in itself.

Goblin Valley State Park North/East of Hanksville on UT-24 is definitely worth a visit in my opinion.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

randco
Explorer
Explorer
Many thanks to all that have replied. Highway 12 was my biggest concern. We are making several lengthy day trips out of Hurricane, Cannonville, Torrey and Moab.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Busskipper asked: "I must ask Ivy if he would drive his Coach on the Hog Back or go around." Yes, I've driven it when headed to Moab in my 42'DP pulling the car. I love curvy roads BUT I've been around heavy equipment all my life and meeting another big rig that's hanging over all of the center line does not bother me. Biggest problem is finding a spot big enough to stop and take it all in at 0 mph.
When headed to Flaming Gorge from Bryce I've used 22 as it's a nice straight road with only one area where you need to slow down and no traffic.

I like to see how many Mule Deer I can count at the N Rim, especially right a dark... most years 200+
In Moab I usually boondock along the Colorado River off of Rt 128. I usually look like this when traveling.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
If spouse can drive the car then go east on 9 through the tunnel. 40' is the maximum length but no problem. Pick up a permit the Zion entrance station. You will drive down the middle of the tunnel with traffic stopped in the other direction.

Much much better than going up to 20.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're correct. Do not take Hwy 14. Instead, take Hwy 20.

From Hurricane, we always take the southern route AZ389, I believe, to Fredonia and then north on 89.

We drive the tunnel area in our vehicle to sitesee while visiting Zion. We love mountain driving but we hate slow traffic and waiting, especially when we're not siteseeing but just moving through the park. There's always a lot of congestion and waits around the tunnels. The southern route is just more relaxing for us and it's nice scenery.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
randco wrote:
We are planning a trip for 2016. We will be driving a 40' coach towing a Jeep.

We are planning to stay near Hurricane, UT. After our tours in Zion we want to go to Bryce. My route is Hwy 17 north to I-15 north. Travel on I-15 to Hwy 20 then head east until we get to Hwy 89. We take Hwy 89 south to Hwy 12 to Cannonville, UT.

Sorry – is there something you are going to see and do on this route? IMHO for a beautiful and much shorter drive stay close to Zion and go through the Tunnel to Bryce. While the drive you propose is fun and will give you a different route it is just longer and unless you are not liking, the Zion Tunnel (which I feel is part of the park just like Angles Landing) is just FUN! And gets you to the same spot.

I think I had read somewhere that Hwy 14 was not advised.

If you have the chance take Rt 14 for a day trip in the Jeep, another Beautiful drive.

After touring Bryce we want to continue on Hwy 12 eastbound from Cannonville to Torrey, UT. on Hwy 12.

This is an all-time favorite drive that we will go out of our way to be on – The Hog Back is just special and while some are nervous on this drive I have never notice anything but sheer Beauty. While on this drive you will be afforded the opportunity to visit National monuments and a number of exceptional State Parks (Escalante – Kodachrome - Goblins ….Capital Reef) take advantage of the opportunity you will not be disappointed, you are fortunate because your Jeep , if properly equipped will allow you to see thing most only see pictures of.

After Torrey, we will continue east on Hwy 24 until we reach I-70 which we will take east to Hwy 191 to Moab, UT.

Be sure while in Moab to ride along the Colorado River on Rt 128 another drive to go out of your way for.

Any routing advice will be appreciated.

Ivy’s North rim advice is to be seconded – always worth the effort to see the North Rim and have a meal with the Canyon just out the Window. I must ask Ivy if he would drive his Coach on the Hog Back or go around, Just a guess but thinking he is taking the drive every-time.

Great trip, try to make it in the shoulder season so as to avoid the Heat, Spend the Summer months next door in Colorado’s high country.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

IA_boy
Explorer
Explorer
We've been to this area a number of times and would make the following suggestions.
Take HWY 9 east from Zion. Don't worry too much about the Zion tunnel. We've done it a number of times in a DP. Big tour buses do it all the time. You will have to drive the jeep seperately.

Drive HWY 12 to Boulder from Bryce. Leave your MH in Boulder and backtrack with the jeep to Calf Creek Recreation area and hike to Lower Calf Creek Falls.

Spend time in Capital Reef NP. Fruita CG is nice but no hook-ups. A couple of nice full=hookup CG in Torrey. Use jeep to drive the Burr trail loop and maybe explore Cathedral Valley (N part of Capital Reef).

North Rim of GC is nice during summer, you might want to do a side trip there.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
We did the exact same route in 2013 coming from the other direction. Only difference is we took the southern route from Bryce to Hurricane.

Make sure you take the Jeep to Burr Trail Road and down into the back entrance to Captial Reef.

Route 12 is a spectacular drive and you will find yourself stopping a lot to take in the secenery.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
I spent a couple weeks at Sand Hollow State Park near Hurricane awhile back. Nice, recently renovated park but almost like another planet for somebody from PA.
Larry

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a wonderful trip. We also plan to be there in 2016, staying for a time in Blanding, in Moab, in Ogden and branching out from there. Utah Office of Tourism has a great travel guide, www.utah.travel It includes a section on off roading adventures.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Distance wise it's the same if you go to I-15 or SE to 89 by way of 59/389 to Bryce, BUT it puts you close enough (30 miles) to go to Jacob's Lake and the N Rim. Stay at the USFS CG there or the private CG and use the Jeep to go the 40 miles to the N Rim.
Are you staying at the KOA or Kodachrome Basin State Park in Cannonville?
I would recommend doing some of 12 in the Jeep before deciding on using it to get to 24 in the MH. From Cannonville it's 17 miles further to use 22 north from Bryce (nice level two land road) and 62 to 24 and then 24 to Torrey and Cap Reef NP.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Get a copy of Mountain Directory West for your western states travels.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)