cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Arches NP alert 2017

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from several days in the Moab area. As usual had a great time. Several days of mountain biking with the nieces plus hikes in Arches NP around the Windows section and up to Delicate Arch one evening.

I wanted to alert those who are considering heading to Arches and the Moab area about extensive construction planned for Arches NP in 2017. Seems they will be doing extensive work on the roads. They anticipate Devils Garden CG will be closed the whole summer, so they aren't even taking any reservations from March 1 to October 31 of next year. Sometimes the construction will also close access to the Devils Garden Trailhead where there are trails leading to many of the arches.

While there may be less impact in other parts of the park, many of the arches we love to see like Landscape, Sand Dune, Skyline, Partition and Double O may be difficult if not impossible to access.

So if you were thinking about a trip to Arches in 2017, you might want to consider putting it off another year.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)
10 REPLIES 10

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Great tip thanks!
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Ken, again thank you for posting great information!
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
4runnerguy wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
jolooote wrote:
Sure hope they provide at least 30 amp electric to the Devils Garden CG.

I doubt seriously that would happen.
I get the impression that this isn't a campground upgrade but just road work. Perhaps they are looking at adding a lot of parking in the Devil's Garden area, which gets packed to overflowing in the spring and fall.

You're probably right. It may be a continuation of the efforts to improve parking like they just did for Delicate Arch trailhead.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
jolooote wrote:

I get the impression that this isn't a campground upgrade but just road work. Perhaps they are looking at adding a lot of parking in the Devil's Garden area, which gets packed to overflowing in the spring and fall.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
jolooote wrote:

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
There are camping options outside Arches. We have stayed at a BLM campground on the road to Dead Horse State Park. It had electric; can't remember about water.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Another great reason to visit in the winter. Gonna burn some propane keeping warm, but less crowds and clearer skies make for a great visit.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the heads-up. We were considering doing Arches in 2017. Sounds like we may look at postponing a year.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

Itchey_Feet
Explorer
Explorer
I think all the NP's need some TLC, but it does take $$ to do this. Anything that can be done is welcome even if it causes some closures. We really like the CG you mentioned and as all NP we have visited, Lower fuel prices have helped us all in visiting these places. Thanks for the heads up.
My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.