cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best lobster in Maine

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading to Maine next month staying in Bar Harbor, Boothbay and Old Orchard Beach. Looking for best places to eat! Thanks,
2017 Montana 3611 RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
58 REPLIES 58

keepmotoring
Explorer
Explorer
WE have been to Maine every year since 2009. Never had a lobster roll. Can get two one pound lobsters for $21.00. Includes corn on the cob and cole slaw. Lobster roll $11/13. We are there for true lobster, not a roll. Also Red Eat's, never been but if ask someone from Maine in that area, they are sure not going to recommend it!! Most locals do their own at home.
LUVRVN

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
drenjoey wrote:
dons2346 wrote:
Don't waste your time or money on a lobster roll, those things suck.

Ouf !!!......Quite a statement.....obviously, you didn't go to the right place for a lobster roll!

Try again!!

I don't think so. Give me the real thing, a whole lobster steamed.

Still not a reason to say they suck !!!! One in a million will think that way.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
drenjoey wrote:
dons2346 wrote:

Ouf !!!......Quite a statement.....obviously, you didn't go to the right place for a lobster roll!

Try again!!

I don't think so. Give me the real thing, a whole lobster steamed.

msb1766
Explorer
Explorer
We always go to Captain Hooks in Wells Maine.
On Wednesday is all the lobster you can eat plus corn on the cob amd potato for around $35.

http://www.captainhookstakeout.com/

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
I'm no expert, but we ate lobster twice a day when we were there last summer. One place that stood out for lobster rolls when we were in Boothbay Harbor was this one we found on TripAdvisor. Shannon's Unshelled
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

quoyfab
Explorer
Explorer
The_Painting_Teacher wrote:
An institution in Maine for lobster rolls (with an accompanying line of 25 - 50 yards) is RED'S EATS located in Wiscasset. As you descend the hill in downtown Wiscasset before you cross the river, it is found on the left coming from the south. It on Rte 1 a short distance before you leave Rte 1 to take a right for Boothbay Harbor. Enjoy

As a native Mainiac and lobstah lover, I've never understood why people stand in that line for so long. There are numerous places, many aforementioned to get a GREAT lobstah roll.

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
navybanker wrote:
We are heading to Maine next month staying in Bar Harbor, Boothbay and Old Orchard Beach. Looking for best places to eat! Thanks,

We live 30 minutes from OOB (Old Orchard Beach). "Joseph by the Sea" in the heart of OOB is a nice restaurant.
For Lobster, Clams and Mussels...try Bayley's (eat on the deck overlooking the marsh). 20 minutes from OOB is Cape Elizabeth. There's a place called "The Lobster Shack). That place was spotlighted on the Food Channel. While there, go to Fort Williams (beautiful place to walk around on the rocky coast of Maine).

Boothbay Harbor: One place comes to mind is Robinson Restaurant. We were there a month ago and ate very well.

Bar Harbor: Any restaurants are great in the area. As for lobster, nothing beats a Lobster Pound.
If you are nostalgic, go to Rte 66 restaurant. A lot of memorabilia of the 50s and 60s and of course it's mostly food from those eras.

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:

Try again!!

keepmotoring
Explorer
Explorer
We always stay in Boothbay. Right outside of Boothbay Harbor, in Southport, there is Robinson's. They have lobster boats coming in all the time. They supply to a lot of the restaurants. Definitely eat outside so you can watch the lobstermen bringing the lobsters in!!
LUVRVN

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer

That depends on how it's done. It should be on a buttery, grilled hot dog type roll, slit at the top, and the meat should be drenched in butter, not mayo.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

The_Painting_Te
Explorer
Explorer
An institution in Maine for lobster rolls (with an accompanying line of 25 - 50 yards) is RED'S EATS located in Wiscasset. As you descend the hill in downtown Wiscasset before you cross the river, it is found on the left coming from the south. It on Rte 1 a short distance before you leave Rte 1 to take a right for Boothbay Harbor. Enjoy

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
Why wait until you get to Maine? If you are passing through Connecticut on the way up, stop in Noank. Right on the bay is Abbott's Lobster in the Rough. If you leave hungry it's your own fault.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
When we stayed at Paradise Park in Old Orchard Beach there is a place called Beach Lobster and Farmstand (I think that's the name)..... Anyway you pick out the lobster you want, they steam it for you and then we took it back to the campground which was just a couple minutes away and had piping hot fresh lobster right at our camper!! I'm pretty sure we got the soft shells and compared to Ohio prices it was dirt cheap.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Don't waste your time or money on a lobster roll, those things suck. Go for the real thing and get a whole lobster.

In Old Orchard Beach, go out to the spit and get fresh lobster pretty cheap. The best we had while on the east coast.

You have a choice of soft shell or hard shell lobster. The soft shell is cheaper and has less meat but it is much sweeter. The locals prefer to have soft shell. The hard shell has more meat and costs more per pound but is not as sweet. You do have a choice

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
A few years back, there was a guy set up in the KOA that cooked and served a complete dinner for around $15.

I stayed there a few years ago and it was 2 lobsters, corn and rolls for $36.00. He steamed the lobsters and corn with water right out of the bay, they were delicious. Steaming is the only way to have lobster.