cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bicycle/Kayak

Heff560
Explorer
Explorer
Where is the best place to snowbird when you want to kayak and ride bicycle on paved trails. We are currently wintering in the RGV of Texas.
16 REPLIES 16

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
great might do a day tip together. we went to top of river and came all the way down last year. pretty cool trip
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

roaminaround
Explorer
Explorer
We stay across the river from you at Echo Lodge.
2019 Rockwood 2608BS
2018 Ford F250 6.7 diesel
2006 Fish Rite 18' Yamaha 115 and T8

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
Roaming
where are you staying in parker.
Buckskin ??
great place to kayak down to Pirates Den
we also go all the way up to dam and kayak down
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal

roaminaround
Explorer
Explorer
This is our 6th year in Parker AZ camping on the Colorado river. We bring 2 mountain bikes and 2 kayaks. Endless miles for both.
2019 Rockwood 2608BS
2018 Ford F250 6.7 diesel
2006 Fish Rite 18' Yamaha 115 and T8

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Heff560 wrote:
..snip.. We are currently wintering in the RGV of Texas.

Load it all up, and drive the 50miles to SPI and see if that's any better. If not, on your way north check out Port Aransas. If that's still doesn't fill the bill, then FL. You got wheels, use them.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

fchammer1
Explorer
Explorer
I have several times paddled the Imperial River from Imperial Bonita Estates to Estero Bay. This is just one of many, many options in SW Florida. The Great Calusa Blueway Paddling Trail is a 190-mile marked canoe and kayak trail ... through the coastal waters and inland tributaries of Lee County, Florida, but you can find your own paths any time.

Biking trails also abound throughout Collier, Lee, and Charlotte counties, and I would encourage you to do an online comparison with any other area. Usually, after riding the five miles in my own age 55+ community, I'm ready for one of the other 80+ activities offered here at IBE.

And -- we seldom have wind here; we have breezes! IBE is five miles from the Gulf waters and a perfect place to relax under a shade umbrella with a book in one hand and a beer in the other.

It's 76ยฐ here at 9:30 a.m., and I'm late for my bike ride. Bye.

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
can vouch for Havasu area. going on 3rd yr and great water. we went to Yuma and headed back to Parker, somewhere between is a reservoir. great also.
we love camping in Parker area. Kayak down to Pirates Den restaurant for lunch or dinner.
we will be in that area around the 21 Jan thru Feb. maybe see you there.

BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
I'll keep this theme going--Florida. Check out the Crystal River, FL area. Miles of kayak paddling pathways and bicycle trails too.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

Don8ch
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are asking the question, I guess that you aren't staying at Bentsen Palm Village or Retama in Mission. There is plenty of both of those activities there. The Bentsen Rio Grande Valley State Park no longer allows vehicles or camping in the park so the interior roads and the former campground circle make good paved bicycling. You can take kayaks into the Resaca in the park but you have to carry them in (NO FUN).

2014 Newmar Ventana 4037
2016 GMC Canyon SLT Crew cab, long box

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Surprisingly, there are many lakes in Arizona to kayak in the winter. Also, the Colorado River from Havasu down to Yuma...many sections are like lakes.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

fchammer1
Explorer
Explorer
The last time I rode my bicycle in Texas, I traveled 1/10 of a mile without once pedaling -- and ended up pushing the bike to get back to our campsite.

I don't miss the wind.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Some friends just posted kayaking pictures from Arizona. Others posted bicycling pictures from Florida. You already figured out that there is not much of either in the RGV.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely Florida.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
All over South Florida.
We winter in the keys and kayak or bike every day that the weather permits.
They have been in the process of making paved bike trails along the side of the Overseas Highway from Key Largo to Key west, and most of it is completed.
If you want to get an idea of how good the kayaking is, check out our google web site.
It is: https://sites.google.com/site/flkeyskayaktrips/

Jack L
Jack & Nanci