cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying in the US

lvthesunSask
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of selling our fifth wheel. Have looked at prices online and there is quite a difference between buying in Canada and in the US. Just wondering what all paperwork is involved and how hard this is to do .
8 REPLIES 8

CardinalRule
Explorer
Explorer
lvthesunSask wrote:
So when you bought in Wyoming and live in sask, , how did you go about licensing it to get home. We were hoping to use it down there for the winter. We don't want to leave it there all year round as we do use it during the summer

Call your provincial insurance company. They will have a process in place. I did when I bought mine. I faxed a copy of the ownership papers after I paid for it. They faxed me the documents for a 5 day permit. I signed them and faxed them back. I then phoned them with credit card info. They then faxed me the permit to travel. I put the temp permit in the window and pulled my new rig home. The whole process tookless than 1/2 hour.
Dave

I RV, I Golf - Therefore I Am.

2016 Acura MDX (No More Truck ๐Ÿ˜ž )
Perminent on site 05 Cardinal 36TS

MaverickBBD
Explorer
Explorer
Oh by all means buy one of those great rv's manufactured in canada so you will be able to snowbird in Yellowknife.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107

A1B00902
Explorer
Explorer
I purchesed a class in TUCSON all the paper work was sent to the US side of the border, by the dealer
and has to be there 3 days befor you can cross in to Canada
The unit has to be driven out of state, by them, with you on board,to a Notary Public,
the dealer have all this under control
You will get a 90 day permit so as to drive back to the border or have a short trip first

At the border
1: You stop on the US side first to de register the unit take 10 mins
2: You then proceed to cross the border and declare your purchase
3: You will then need to goinside to pay GST took me 15mins
4: next to an office to setup an inspection, 20mins

mine was done at Canadian Tire 5 mins max
All they did was to count the tires and charge an inviro. tax
Paper work will be sent you from Canadian Tire by Email next day
you can now get insurance, and pay PST

you most likely will need to set up how you plan to pay them
In US dollars
I had a certified cheque, but you could setup a cash tranfer to a bank nearby

her_I
Explorer
Explorer
lvthesunSask wrote:
So when you bought in Wyoming and live in sask, , how did you go about licensing it to get home. We were hoping to use it down there for the winter. We don't want to leave it there all year round as we do use it during the summer
You license it when you get the ownership changed over to Canadian. You do not have to change the license back if you are not staying in the U.S. over 6 months. It would then become a Canadian vehicle visiting the U.S.

lvthesunSask
Explorer
Explorer

samandtheduck
Explorer
Explorer
spanielrage wrote:
I've also been looking at this for a future purchase (potentially save 000s).

Look at the Registrar of Imported Vehicles web site:

http://www.riv.ca/MakeAnRIVPayment.aspx

For non-propelled (ie. trailer), it's basically a flat fee of around $200 and then you pay the GST at the border. You have to get it "safetied", which in Manitoba means taking it to a Canadian Tire so they can look at the tires and say "OK" (rubber stamp).

Also, in Manitoba, you pay the PST when you register and insurance it.

I've known many people that do this and it's very straightforward.

Derek

Same thing in Sask. I bought used in Wyoming and went through the same procedure as Derek.

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
You are snowbirds. Buy in the U.S.. Store in the U.S. I think that eliminates most of the paperwork.

spanielrage
Explorer
Explorer
I've also been looking at this for a future purchase (potentially save 000s).

Look at the Registrar of Imported Vehicles web site:

http://www.riv.ca/MakeAnRIVPayment.aspx

For non-propelled (ie. trailer), it's basically a flat fee of around $200 and then you pay the GST at the border. You have to get it "safetied", which in Manitoba means taking it to a Canadian Tire so they can look at the tires and say "OK" (rubber stamp).

Also, in Manitoba, you pay the PST when you register and insurance it.

I've known many people that do this and it's very straightforward.

Derek
2008 Jayco JayFeather 19H
2012 Ford F150 XLT EcoBoost MaxTow SCrew w/XTR Package