cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campgrounds in Tampa/Clearwater, FL Area

JuneHallowell
Explorer
Explorer
I am in search of suggestions for a great campground In the Tampa/Clearwater area or north of there but not as far up as the Panhandle. A close, fantastic beach and hopefully a swimming pool would be on our list of wants. We have four children and a beach that is far away or that we need to tram/drive to does not work well for us. Open to state parks or privately owned campgrounds. Thank you and advance for your suggestions ๐Ÿ™‚
15 REPLIES 15

chrisbailey13
Explorer
Explorer
+1 Dunedin RV park. I stayed there over the Labor Day Holiday, close to the beach, nice park with a pool, playground and wide sites.

JuneHallowell
Explorer
Explorer
My DH says he wants to try the panhandle area now. Any suggestions are appreciated. ๐Ÿ™‚ When I say, "close" to the beach I mean walking distance.

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
I know it is south, but Not too far south near Sarasota is Oscar Scherer state park. A very nice state park that is about 5 minutes (driving) from a very nice beach (Nokomis beach)
2017.. Prime Time Avenger. 32QBI

His.. 2011 F-350, King Ranch, 6.2L. Crew Cab, 4x4, 8' bed, SRW, 11,000 GVWR

Hers..2008 Ford Expedition, King Ranch Heavy Duty Tow, 3.73 gears

Sold.. 2005 Star craft, Travel Star 18SB

Sold.. 2013 Keystone Laredo, 291

JuneHallowell
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much for the advice! I will look into these suggestions. Other than the congestion we like Camping on the Gulf (As far as the beach being right in the campground) in Destin but do not want to do the panhandle this year because we will be heading to the ocean from Orlando.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
You didn't indicate the size of your RV, but if you are 35' or under, look into Turtle Beach CG in Sarasota. It's a county park, right on the gulf. Lots of restaurants and businesses nearby too. Here's their website
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with those recommending Fort De Soto, but you do have a short drive from the campground to the beach areas. North Beach area was the better area when I was there in September, since the East Beach had a lot of algae. No pool, either. But there are many campsites right on the water, which is tough to find.
2013 RT 190-Popular

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
soricobob wrote:
I you can't get into Desoto, try Cedar Key RV Resort.

Ceadr Key is NOT the place to go if you're interested in beaches. In fact, if a good nearby beach is high on your list and you don't want to go to the panhandle, then you need to stay around Clearwater Beach or south. Personally, I'd go south to Bradenton/Sarasota area, which is just barely south of Tampa and far less congested. Beaches are way prettier down there. Even in the Tampa metro area, you could be 30 minutes to an hour from the the beach.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
we have stayed at Dunedin RV Park and it is quite nice and well managed. Great pool and tennis. Can ride bikes to the beach (or 5 minute drive)and is right on the Pinellas trail for excellent biking to several communities along it. Close to all amenities. Kids would like the Primate Sanctuary right along the trail. When in the area kids would like Tampa Aquarium, is it awesome. I am sure there are other kid friendly attractions in the area but not on my radar.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depending on what you mean by "close" don't look too far north of Clearwater. That's where the fantanstic beaches start again, after you leave the Panhandle.

For much of the rest of the west coast of Florida between St Joe and Clearwater, you will find occasional small artifical beaches created by county recreation mostly for local use, and maybe a few remnants of barrier islands, but most of the coast north of Clearwater is different, bays, inlets and wetlands rather than barrier islands and beaches. E.G. from Brooksville/Spring Hill there is a little county beach and fishing pier (Pine Island) at the end of the county road extending from US-50, and for the Crystal River/Homosassa area there is a little beach at the end of the road following the south shore of the river(Fort Island). Condition is going to depend on how long since they last brought in sand, and weather since that happened.

I am more familiar with this part of the coast, so don't know where to send you for parks on the part of the coast where the beaches do exist, and the land is fairly heavily developed.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately not many RV parks on the Gulf Coast that meet your requirements. Ft Desoto is about it. Bay Bayou is nice but you will have to drive to the beach (about 15 miles). Same with Cedar Key (about 10 miles)
Rock Crusher Canyon is nice for kids. Nice pool. Close enough to drive to beach.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Rock Crusher in Crystal River is a great spot to stay if they have sites available .
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
NanciL wrote:
You can't beat Fort Desoto county park.
It has awesome beaches, canoe and kayak rentals, bike rentals and paths and a old historical Fort for the kids to play on.
It is hard to get reservations and the county residents have first choice, but we have been able to snag reservations when we wanted them.

Jack L

X2 - it is a beautiful park, but pricey considering it is a county park
(which generally are a bit cheaper). When we were at Fort Desoto a couple of years ago, we noticed they continually had no vacancy signs out but when we walked around, there were always sites vacant - but maybe they were only available for short durations. Check mid week - you might find something - I'm sure your family would really enjoy this beautiful park. Great bicycling and kayaking, as well as bird watching.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

rede2travel
Explorer
Explorer
Bay Bayou Resort in Tampa is a quiet campground with a lovely pool area. RVParkreviews.com will give you a better picture of the park.
Retired George & Retired wife Diane
2006 Ford F250 Lariat
2005 Keystone Sprinter 278 RLS

soricobob
Explorer
Explorer
I you can't get into Desoto, try Cedar Key RV Resort.