cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping in Yellowstone/Grand Tetons

j_sgypsybuggy
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone--Thought I'd post this question to you as you have always been of great help to us. We are planning a trip to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons hopefully in Sept. to avoid the crowd. Problem is most places I've found you can't have a fire. What's camping without a campfire? Does anyone have any suggestions? We will be camping in a 32' fifth wheel but will be with friends who have a giant rig(56') and require 50 amps. We would like any suggestions you have. Would like to stay in/near Yellowstone for a few days and then travel to Grand Tetons for a few. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.
27 REPLIES 27

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
We have found that Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone, MT is a great place to homebase for Yellowstone NP. And Colter Bay is great for Grand Teton. Out trips have been in September when the crowds thin a bit--but this secret is getting out! You can expect snow at either park during this time. Just part of the adventure!

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:
Thanks Renee - not sure about that adding the links thing. I usually just type them in and think that is what I will do in the future!

Lauren, the first link now works which is strange, but the second does not. Both links, under your signature work just fine.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Renee - not sure about that adding the links thing. I usually just type them in and think that is what I will do in the future!
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:
Have stayed at Colter Bay RV Park and love it. Better get reservations.
Go to http://laurenbarbara.com/grandtetonnp.html The first picture is the lakeshore which is 5 minutes most from any site in there.

You might also check out http://www.laurenbarbara.com/ for more pix for your travels. Just click on the Wandersings link on the left.

Hi Lauren - I can't get these links to work but if I go directly to www.laurenbarbara.com - no problem, I can get there.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Have stayed at Colter Bay RV Park and love it. Better get reservations.
Go to http://laurenbarbara.com/grandtetonnp.html The first picture is the lakeshore which is 5 minutes most from any site in there.

You might also check out http://www.laurenbarbara.com/ for more pix for your travels. Just click on the Wandersings link on the left.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some pics of Gros Ventre, end of September, early October 2009

Zoom in and you can see the moose -

Most of the motorhomes stayed on this row -

Out site - tighter back in but plenty wide for maneuvering - This picture was taken at a different resolution so it's smaller but still gives you a good idea.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a couple of pics of the RV full hookups side of Colter Bay. This was back when we had a 25' TT. All sites are pull through with the exception of some at the ends that are back ins.

WA7NDD
Explorer
Explorer
I was at Colter Bay last September. Fist question was: Are you longer then 25 feet? Answer: No. Ok, you can use the dry camp ground. I don't know if they are trying to make money by pushing you into the more expensive CG, but that is what happened last September, and it was freezing cold at night. So even though it's been said here any size RV can get into the dry CG, we did not have that experience.
1998 Four Winds 5000 Rigby, ID

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with ReneeG, Colter Bay campground, not RV Park, can, and does, accomodate large motorhomes, trailers and fifth-wheels. Most of the sites in the campground allow for up to 40-45 foot vehicles. Our FW is 30', in total, and we park in the site and put our tow vehicle in front, or back depending on where we place the FW, and there is plenty of room. And the campground is quite a bit less expensive than the RV park, $22 last summer if I remember correctly, only $11 with the Senior Pass whereas the RV Park was over $55 a night.
John A. Lichty

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
WA7NDD wrote:
By August and September it will be darn cold at night, with a good possibility of snow late in August and September. Darn cold could be below freezing. Without reservations way ahead of time you could be out of luck. There are very good RV parks in West Yellowstone with 50 amp power. I don't know, but I'll bet Fishing Bridge in the park,the only place with hookups, will not have 50 amp connections. Fishing Bridge RV park is packed tight. I stayed there one time it was like living in a city. We live ninety miles from the park been there many times place is always packed. Colter Bay has a camp ground no hookups and only allows Rv's twenty-five feet or shorter. The other RV park has hookups and can support very large RV's fifty plus dollars a night. The way to either location is a right or left turn at the check-in building.

To clarify - Colter Bay has two campgrounds and both can fit RV's of any size - the full hookup RV Park side and the dry campground side. One is a heck of a lot cheaper (inexpensive) than the other. Both are heavily wooded but you can get in and out safely. We've seen on the dry CG side of Colter Bay, fifth wheels parked parallel to the road - those are the larger sites.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Fishing Bridge has 50 amp. Space heater felt good last September at night.

WA7NDD
Explorer
Explorer
By August and September it will be darn cold at night, with a good possibility of snow late in August and September. Darn cold could be below freezing. Without reservations way ahead of time you could be out of luck. There are very good RV parks in West Yellowstone with 50 amp power. I don't know, but I'll bet Fishing Bridge in the park,the only place with hookups, will not have 50 amp connections. Fishing Bridge RV park is packed tight. I stayed there one time it was like living in a city. We live ninety miles from the park been there many times place is always packed. Colter Bay has a camp ground no hookups and only allows Rv's twenty-five feet or shorter. The other RV park has hookups and can support very large RV's fifty plus dollars a night. The way to either location is a right or left turn at the check-in building.
1998 Four Winds 5000 Rigby, ID

Windwalker55
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Indian Creek and Grant Village in Yellowstone and in Grand Tetons we stayed at Gros Ventre campground and had campfires at all our campsites. These are national park campgrounds and we had to dry camp but not a problem.
2007 Kodiak 160 Hybrid
"The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir
My Blog

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
We like Colter Bay in the Teton NP. However you will have to do without a campfire.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One