cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Capital Reef National Park

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
ok we want to do the hiking in capital reef, easy and moderate hikes. Drive the Burr trail and Cathedral valley. We have done the scenic 12 route in 2013. So how many days so not to feel rushed. 6 days or less? Then going to moab to visit Canyonlands and maybe do a repeat visit to arches. Thinking 4 days in Moab. Then we head home! Just trying to split time between the 2 areas. We have a total of 10 days to spend in the areas. Thanks Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
6 REPLIES 6

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
Was there a number of years ago a week after Easter,coming home from a retreat at Ghost Ranch in New Mexico and it was a wonderful stay. I was solo and tent camping in my '94 Cherokee sport. Drove from Natural Bridges NM to Goblin Valley for the night. Next day drove over to the west side of Canyonlands and then down he switchbacks to the bottom and then stayed at the cg at the ranger statiob. From there it was over to Fruita early and managed to get a site at Fruita cg and went up canyon after setting up camp. That nite there was an awesome bluegrass jam session in one guys camp.The next day,I crossed the river at the ford and up into Cathedral Valley and out to the highway. The next day was south on the trail and up the cliffs and over to Bryce. The weather during the days was awesome,clear and 60's, but got into the upper teens most nites. 2 person hiking tent and a 2 1/2# down sleeping bag.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like most others the first time was not enough. Have stayed at Fruita once and at Thousand Lakes four times For a total of 30+ days. It has taken us that many days to totally hike the Park on designated trails and drive all the roads. If you have high ground clearance don't miss driving the dirt road to the north side of the Park. Upper Muley Twist was one of the most memorable hikes of my life. Starts outside the Park on the south and make a big loop. Depending on your conditioning level it may be on the high side moderate. Most spectacular is the Grand Wash. Just south and outside the Park is a trailhead up a canyon where you can pick up petrified wood on BLM land. Make sure you are fully provisioned including adult beverage. Darn, just writing this makes me want to go back.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

lfloom
Explorer
Explorer
We went for three days and found reasons to stay for six. I would love to go back and just stay for as long as I could. It is a lovely CG, and very friendly. I felt like I knew so may of my fellow campers after those 6 days.

Windwalker55
Explorer
Explorer
I've been there about 3 times and would still go back again. So many hikes and areas to explore. I love the campgrounds there at Capital Reef. I think it is one of my favorites. Here is a good link to help you discover what is there.

Capital Reef NP

Have a great time. I think your distribution of time is about right, but you will want to go back again in a couple of years :-).
2007 Kodiak 160 Hybrid
"The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir
My Blog

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
We only had three days there in 2013 so we plan to go back this summer and stay until we are "done". There is just so much to see and do in that area. I would split it. lizzie

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
We spent 7 or 8 days in Torrey and could go back and spend another week there. Don't miss Cathedral Valley road which goes north from Hwy 24 not south like the Burr Trail.

There are supposed to be some slot canyons in the area too but we ran out of time to see them.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper