cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coast of Oregon

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
Heading to the southern coast of Oregon in June. Not sure of things to see or do. RV parks and campgrounds Not much on big cities. Any ideas would be appreciated.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport
16 REPLIES 16

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Some ideas if you will make it to the north Oregon coast: Ecola State park near Cannon Beach - day use only but very camera worthy. Use a needed repair as an excuse to visit Cannon Beach Hardware. Not a very good hardware store but the bar is great.

Mid coast I like to visit Cape Kiwanda in Pacific City. Nice tide pools, drive on the beach, watch the dories come in, and if fit, climb the sand dune.

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
Rt 138 Umpqua Hwy is very scenic, Diamond Lake and many waterfalls follow to Roseburg.
Rt 199 from Grants Pass to Crescent City, CA is beautiful. There is a lighthouse that you can walk to at low tide. The big redwoods forest is just south of Crescent City.
We went in early August and there were blackberries everywhere along the coast. We found some snow along the road around Crater Lake.
You will love Oregon!
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

Seamutt
Explorer
Explorer
Now if you have the time and don't mind the extra miles I recommend blowing north up I-5 to travel the coast north to south. All the pullouts for scenery are on the water side and it is much safer and easier to get on and off the highway with the heavy summer traffic, heading south. Some of the pullouts are on curves so makes it dicey trying to get on and off the highway with traffic when heading north.

My recommend for the Oregon coast is the Oregon coast and take in as much as you can. Near Dunes though rented a vehicle to drive the dunes, great fun.

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
All of southern Oregon coast is small cities. Neat Rocky cliffs and beaches. 101 is slow and full of tourists. Winchester area is awesome for dunes, but lacking in everything else. If you haven't seen the redwoods, go south to del Norte county in California and enjoy.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the OR Parks reserve sites will already be taken but a lot of the parks have some that are held back. We have had good luck if we get to the parks about checkout time and waiting. Check the Or Parks website for which ones are not all reserve. In Southern OR we like Harris Beach near the CA border.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
If you're going to Crater Lake, I would suggest that you head out towards Medford, then Grants Pass and 199 over to Crescent City on the coast. From there you'll head north and your adventure will begin.As was said before, all of the state parks were full as of last year, you can make res a year in advance, but there are a lot of REALLY nice private parks and most are about the same cost as state parks.
As far as 199 is concerned, I have pulled my 35' TT and Excursion both ways and my 40' Tradewinds with toad from Crescent city and had no problems.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The state parks are awesome. Your first stop should be Cape Blanco State Park. They don't accept reservations but if you get there early in the day you'll get a site. Beautiful large sites, a lighthouse to tour and a practically secluded gorgeous beach. It's near Port Orford on the south coast.

We've also stayed at these state parks: Bullard's Beach at Bandon, Carl Washburne at Florence, Beverly Beach at Newport, Harris Beach at Brookings and Fort Stevens at Astoria.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will miss the best part.:E Do yourself a big favor, stay on the coast to Astoria then head east. It is a spectacular trip. While at Florence take a buggy ride on the dunes but take an cheap camera, you will have sand in places you didn't know you had.

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
We're heading north toward Florence then heading east towards Montana.
2022 Renegade Super C

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Which way are you going after you hit the coast. North or south?

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
southernsky wrote:
Don't really know. We're going to be leaving one of our stops Crater Lake, then heading to the coast. Open to suggestions.

Pretty sure all the Oregon coastal state park campgrounds are already booked up for July. Might find something in a private park.
There aren't any big cities on the southern Oregon Coast.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
Don't really know. We're going to be leaving one of our stops Crater Lake, then heading to the coast. Open to suggestions.
2022 Renegade Super C

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
We love the Oregon coast.

One of our trips was in 2013 and started in May at Brookings and ended in late June.

Click here to follow us along and hopefully will help you in your prep.

Safe travels.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Be SURE to go see the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville. Incredible assortment of things to see including the "Spruce Goose"!