cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal River Manatees

fidhleir
Explorer
Explorer
I'm planning a trip for next winter from SoCal to Crystal River to swim with the manatees (a life-long dream for my wife). It looks like it's best to use a guide service. Can anyone make a recommendation? Also, looking for recommendations for RV parks. Is there a lot to see in that area that would warrant a full week stay? I understand the best time to go is January or February. We also plan to go to the Keys and to St. Augustine while in Florida. Many other things to see and do along the way but I'll save that for a post to the Roads & Routes forum. Thanks to all who can share their experiences.
13 REPLIES 13

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to also swim with the dolphins while your in Florida. We did this at Sea World and then had the park to ourselves for two hours before they opened. I believe there are also opportunities in the Keys.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
captbru wrote:
Most of the waters of Crystal River is a Federal Wildlife Refuge for the protection of Manatee. Not controlled by the State of Florida. Swimming with the manatee is allowed.

http://www.fws.gov/refuge/crystal_river/

I would rent a kayak, the time of year your going you will find manatee all over. By suggestion for a kayak rental is
Crystal River Kayak. You paddle a short distance from there docks and you at Three Sisters Springs. There you can paddle into the springs and get out of your kayak and swim with them. The average count last winter was close to 600 manatee in the Crystal River Refuge.

http://crystalriverkayakcompany.com/

This is not to say that there are not RULES for interacting with the Manatee-

"Mind Your Manatee Manners"

Observing from a distance is the best way to protect manatees and all wildlife. Watch manatee manners videos before swimming, diving, or boating.
Manatee Manners Videos
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate some folks initially don't feel comfortable in unknown territories on their own although some might by kayaking and jumping in themselves and we are true water nuts for the most part but for us seeing the Crocs on banks as we boated out and so on I'd never get my hubby to go out solo after that with me alone (LOL).

We've done the encounter with BirdsUnderWater twice and found for the price and their knowledge it was more than a good deal to us. We did one in a July (very few to encounter and distant the odd one we did find) and one in very beginning of Nov 2009. The area they took us into at very beginning of November was going to be out of bounds to protect the Manatees season from 9th November so we timed it perfectly, and we were very blessed to have the most wonderful experience and tons of manatees and babies on that trip = way better than our July experience a few years earlier. One seemed to enjoy a girl gently scratching it under it's flipper for a considerable amount of time. Ironically our guide told us thats where the nipple is and why she was enjoying it.

It's a truly wonderful experience to be up so close and personal - do it now while you can as one does wonder when it will be banned altogether.

For the Keys, we like John Pennekamp which we prefer to head out from for our snorkelling and diving and Bahia Honda if you can get in there!
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

fidhleir
Explorer
Explorer
Since you bring it up, any recommendation for a destination and campground in the keys?

captbru
Explorer
Explorer
Crystal River to Key Largo, which is at the top of the Keys is about375 miles. The Keys are about 120 miles long, so it depends where your going in the keys.

From Key Largo up to Saint Augstine is about 400 miles. Both routes are either on interstate or toll roads.

fidhleir
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the good info. We have a 36' fifth wheel. I'll contact Rock Crusher this week and see what we can book. Is it reasonable to get to the keys in one day's drive from Crystal River and then from the Keys to St. Augustine in one day? Just trying to decide whether to book intermediate overnight stops or not. We're not working under any time constraints but I don't mind a full day drive if I'm going to then be parked for a week or more.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to go to Homosassa wildlife park https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Homosassa-Springs . You can't swim with manatees there but you can see them and other animals.

Aside from Rock Crusher there's a couple of other rv parks right in Homosassa; never stayed in them but they're popular. If you don't have a toad there's an Enterprise in Crystal River. There's also supermarkets, Home Depot etc.

There's not a whole lot to do that isn't water-related; a week might be a bit much.

Also, it gets mighty chilly in January and February.
-jbh-

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Captbru has all the right info. RV parks best bet is Rock Crusher Canyon...have to reserve way early for those months.......a week should give you enough time to see all in the area. We have lived right here for 15 years, down the road in Weeki wachee. Weeki Wachee Springs State park is where the Mermaids do a show, its fun .......also Homosassa Wildlife Park is a good adventure.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

captbru
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the waters of Crystal River is a Federal Wildlife Refuge for the protection of Manatee. Not controlled by the State of Florida. Swimming with the manatee is allowed.

http://www.fws.gov/refuge/crystal_river/

I would rent a kayak, the time of year your going you will find manatee all over. By suggestion for a kayak rental is
Crystal River Kayak. You paddle a short distance from there docks and you at Three Sisters Springs. There you can paddle into the springs and get out of your kayak and swim with them. The average count last winter was close to 600 manatee in the Crystal River Refuge.

http://crystalriverkayakcompany.com/

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
I used these folks last March, very pleased. They provided mask, snorkel and wet suit (you will need one). riverventures

I would use them once and after that you may want to rent a kayak and go on your own. The guides also take a lot of pictures and will sell you a cd as you leave.

Here's a pic from last year.

P.S. Crystal River is one of the few places where you can interact with the Manatees. The educational film at the tour office explains the laws.
'03 2500HD CrewCab SB 6.0 Gas 4x4
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3 Double Cab
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I heard that the State is cracking down on the swimming with manatees activity. You can't approach one closer than a set distance (50 ft?). The fines are serious.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Funny story...I lived in Cocoa Beach,FL and loved to go to the Indian River to take sunset pictures. I waded into the river waist deep to get away from the shorea edge. While composing my picture I didn't see a manatee swim up to me. I guess I wasn't giving him/her the attention they wanted and he grab my leg with his flipper. Let me tell you Jesus is not the only one who can walk on water, I did that evening.

The manatee just looked at me standing on shore with the where did you go look. The are awesome creatures. Very loving and gentle. Just remember they are endangered and really should not be bothered in the wild.

Enjoy your trip you'll love the springs and seeing the manatees.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I was there 3 years ago and stayed for 3 weeks - SENSATIONAL........
You don't need a guide - we rented kayaks and paddled across the river/bay
to the spring where the Manatees hang out. We did not swim with them but stayed in the kayak and saw then swim right under us in crystal clear waters.

Lots of things to do if you are outdoors types, An hour north is Cedar Key - funky little "town" with a great beach. Rainbow Park (?) - swim with the Alligators !!!!. Ride a bike along the railroad path, visit the "zoo" in Homasassa (?). Went to a few different boat ramps along the coast and kayaked around - Airboat rides, a few nice state parks in the area and Orlando is only 90 minutes away.

Gerry
Gerry