cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

el paso

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone stay in El paso for the winter. We know it gets a little chilly in the dead of winter, but there's no humidity to speak of and few mosquitoes. We stayed in Port Isabel last winter and between the high winds, humidity and rain, we're opting for the desert this time.
We tried Florida and the bug situation is worse than south Texas. The ocean is nice, but we don't need to be near it for the entire winter.
12 REPLIES 12

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
"To the OP, you need to come over to southern Arizona for the winter. Nice weather and no bugs and no snakes (in winter).

Zero in on the greater Tucson, Benson, Phoenix, Apache Junction and Yuma areas...lots of RV parks, boondocking, county and state parks. "

Having spent 7 winters in AZ, mostly in the Mesa, Apache Junction areas, I totally agree. enough so, that after nearly 10 years of full-timing , we bought a winter home in Mesa. We are Happy "part time campers" now.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I Wintered in Benson AZ for a couple years. Weather was usually nice with only a few cold days but it always seemed windy. The Texas hill country is cooler but not as windy. Coming from MN almost anything is better.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Although El Paso is not a wintering location (cold), it is not the highest city for crime. In fact, crime has decreased.

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/02/23/border-communities-have-lower-crime-rates/

To the OP, you need to come over to southern Arizona for the winter. Nice weather and no bugs and no snakes (in winter). ๐Ÿ™‚

Zero in on the greater Tucson, Benson, Phoenix, Apache Junction and Yuma areas...lots of RV parks, boondocking, county and state parks.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
It's a border town. That is all one needs to know!!!

Moisheh

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
El Paso is not what I would call a good wintering place. Wind, dust, cold, crime.
Look north to Las Cruces and a bit west to Deming, NM. But they can get cold spells and wind, too.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know one thing, watching the Sun Bowl on TV during the college bowl season, there is no way I'd want to be in El Paso for the winter. Those fans sitting in the stands are COLD! Keep on going into southern Arizona.

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
You stayed in the wrong area of the RGV. My first year there I was in Brownsville and my wife did not like the RV park at all. We moved up river to a mid valley location and found the experience totally different.

Last winter in Donna, TX there was almost no rain and there were no bugs in our RV park. The closer to the coast you are the greater the wind is. Move inland.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Try doing a Google search for `El Paso tourism' and read what the experts suggest for their area.
We must be staying in the wrong areas in Florida because I can't remember the last time I saw a bug while there.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to consider Zapada at Falcon Lake.
pawatt

pjsky
Explorer
Explorer
2chiefsRus wrote:
I would go for Yuma, AZ before El Paso, TX.

I agree 100 percent. Yuma has the warmest and sunniest annual climate in the continental USA. Warm winters and NO bugs.
No person is completely worthless ..... one can always serve as a bad example.

PAUL AND JAN

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
I would go for Yuma, AZ before El Paso, TX.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm originally from Las Cruces, NM, (45 miles north of El Paso). We stayed six weeks in the area over the holidays this past winter. It got down into the teens several times and we had snow the day after Christmas. The difference between the El Paso area and the lower Rio Grande Valley is about 3,500 feet in elevation and several degrees of latitude. El Paso also has a crime problem being on the border with Juarez, as well. It's not a place I would choose to winter if I didn't have family in the area.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015