cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Filing Income Tax on the Road

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
We're going to Snowbird for the first time in November. May not return home until May. Just wonder how many people file their income tax while on the road and how many file for an extension. I know that most of my tax info is available on line but also know that there will be one little forgotten item that will be left in my home office.
14 REPLIES 14

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
sdianel wrote:
Turbo Tax online. Most of what I need I can find online. Been doing it for years with zero problems. I just keep a list of what I will need and always have the last year's handy for reference so I won't miss anything. Also if you use the guided version of Turbo Tax it should prevent you from forgetting. Takes a bit longer but worth it if you are reminded of something.

X-2
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

Ken_O
Explorer
Explorer
I send mine from Fl to my accountant in Michigan, went well until last year. I took the packet to the post office and sent it certified mail. The clerk hit a wrong digit in the zip for the stick on bar code.

The package looped from Lubbock, Texas to Grand Rapids, MI for almost two months. The systems are totally automated, and they couldn't put their hands on it. The package would get to MI, the machine would read the bar code and send it back to Texas. In Texas the machine picked up the written address and kick it back to Mi.

I felt helpless, as did the postal employees tring to get it kicked out of the loop. I could watch the tracking as it happened.

I had to file an extension, as it was May before it got there.

From now on, I'll file the extension, and hand it to the accountant. It would have been a real pain to try and get all the records back if it would not have made it.

Its real easy to file an extension on line....
Silverado 250HD '07 Duramax
2017 Jayflight 21QB

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Turbo Tax online. Most of what I need I can find online. Been doing it for years with zero problems. I just keep a list of what I will need and always have the last year's handy for reference so I won't miss anything. Also if you use the guided version of Turbo Tax it should prevent you from forgetting. Takes a bit longer but worth it if you are reminded of something.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

mslater
Explorer
Explorer
this is my first year going south also, and just retired in june so iam not real sure of the changes to my taxes..i called my tax lady the other day and explained the situation and how i didn't want to return until the first part of april , and would get my stuff together at that time...she said it would not be a problem and she would file an extension.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
H&R Block when we get back north in the spring, file the extension (and keep a dated copy) while on the road south. Easy Peasy.

With the internet and cell phones you'll be amazed at how simple it is to live on the road now-a-days. Just remember there isn't anything that a Visa Card, cell phone, and laptop (i.e e-mails/banking/Amazon/google'ing) can't fix while you're away for the winter.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

s_N_s
Explorer
Explorer
I gather all the information we need before we leave home, wait for the 1099's to show up at our Southern location and then send it all to our accountant. She takes care of everything from there. Haven't had a problem.
Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

crabbin_cabin
Explorer II
Explorer II
H&R BLOCK/At Home for the last 5-6 years.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Turbo Tax and file electronically.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turbo tax every year.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We do an extension each March. works great.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Been using H&R block....have filed Federal (no state income tax) for past 6 yrs. in 6 different states.
H&R has all our info. Makes it easy for us.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Gruffy
Explorer
Explorer
Yep .... that's how we do it.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
And when you discover the one little item you file an amended return
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
TurboTax online. No extension, no paper, no problem.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman