cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finding the "real" Florida

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
We are avid Disney-goers. And, I know that makes some people roll their eyes so hard that they see their brains. So, I'm trying to figure out plans for a "real Florida" tour from late February to early May.

Problem is, I don't really know what "real Flordia" is... nor do I have reservations so most state parks are out. Additionally, a 42' fifth wheel is limited in what parks can take us. But, we are good with RV parks and don't mind paying up to $60-70/night (though, my ideal is sub $50/night for hookups). I know it's snowbird season, but figure I can find places to squeeze in. We'll look to spend 2 weeks in each location.

But, things that in Florida that I know of...

We may need to rendezvous with family around Sarasota for our first stop.

I'd like to do something with Miami and the Everglades, but I don't know if that is 2 weeks each or together. I do know that I definitely want some Miami beach time. I miss the salt and playing in waves. We didn't get that this past year like we usually do and I'm jonesing.

I've read of crystal clear waters in rivers and manatee watching. That sounds like something my family would enjoy.

For warmth, I think I'd like to mostly spend it south of Orlando. But, I really don't know when that warms up.

So... ideas? Possibly itineraries? ๐Ÿ˜„
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page
21 REPLIES 21

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of the "real" Florida has disappeared since the 1980s, having become one huge suburban property development with the exponential population growth as people migrated from the Northeast, and to a lesser extent, from the northern Midwest. Population doubled from 1940 to 1960 with the first wave of WW2-era retirees, then doubled again 1960-1980, and was on its way to doubling again by 2010 when the 2007-9 recession slowed growth briefly.

There are some pockets of pre-development Florida, some of it preserved as state and national forests, not-yet-drained wetlands, some cattle country up north, and the cores of some of the older cities (Tampa, St Pete, Sarasota, St Augustine) once you get through the sprawl now surrounding them.

Look at the area along US-19 from Homosassa north to Perry (Citrus, Levy, Dixie counties), although Citrus county has been starting to develop faster as the Suncoast Parkway has made it a viable commute for the Tampa metroplex.

Another area still carrying a sense of Florida culture and life style would be the highlands south of I-4. e.g. along US-27 from Frostproof down to Sebring, US-17 Bowling Green to Arcadia.

In the Panhandle, Apalachicola National Forest. Coast from Panama City to St Marks used to look a lot like it did in the 1960s, but my last time through on US-98 it was starting to look like developers were trying to create another Destin, so I haven't been back through.

There are probably more, as there are other areas of Florida I haven't revisited since the 1980, and some I haven't since since I lived there in the 70s.

The Florida East Coast is a solid urban strip from Palm Beach to south of Miami, but since that has been the case since the 1970s, I guess that is "real" Florida now.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Steeljag wrote:
Shhhhhhhhh, don't give away the secrete spots!

No lie, when you have a good thing going you keep it under your hat.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a 42 fiver, you can scratch the Federal Parks around Ocala off the list except Salt Springs. It used to be private so has big spaces and FHU. Keep checking reserveamerica you can probably get in.

There are many commercial parks you should be able to get into and get reservations. From there you can drive around and visit the springs, rent canoes, boats, pontoon boat on the St. Johns, etc.

ANother option is Silver River State Park. Big rig friendly and they are doing remodeling so are not taking reservations but if you drive up around noon you can almost always get a spot. Beautiful park and if you cant get in you can drive a few miles and camp in Wilderness RV Resort.

The following parks are all big rig friendly.

Williston Crossings in Williston near Gainesville.

Rockcrusher in Crystal River.

Carefree RV Resort Old Homosassa Springs

Wekiva Falls RV Resort in Sanford, near Orlando.

Stage Coach RV park near St. Augustine.

Ocean Grove RV resort St. Augustine.

Manatee Hammock (county park on the intracoastal waterway) Titusville east coast.

North Beach RV resort Villano Beach near St Augustine walk to ocean or ICW.

Ellie Rays RV Resort on the Suwannee River. Branford.

It dont get more old Florida that Branford.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We like Salt Springs State Park in Ocala National Forest. Look on Reserve America. You might be able to get a couple days during the week. Search for approx dates and if no luck, click on "find next available date", then scroll down to see availability. I found some spots for 3 days. Not fancy but beautiful spring. Last time we were there, cell service was limited so you will need a booster or drive to make calls. We also like Rainbow Springs State Park at Dunnellon. It's been remodeled and now has full hookups. Again you will only find a couple nights at a time, during the week.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
Kaz wrote:
ependydad wrote:
...Problem is, I don't really know what "real Flordia" is... nor do I have reservations so most state parks are out. Additionally, a 42' fifth wheel is limited in what parks can take us. But, we are good with RV parks and don't mind paying up to $60-70/night (though, my ideal is sub $50/night for hookups). I know it's snowbird season, but figure I can find places to squeeze in. We'll look to spend 2 weeks in each location. ...

This may not be what you're looking for, and my experience is very limited (like one trip), but last June I spent a week in Carabelle, near Apalachicola. The area is known as Florida's "forgotten coast," largely because it's a L-O-N-G way from any interstate or airport, so it doesn't get the same influx of visitors as other parts of Florida, and therefore its economy is not as dependent on tourist dollars. It's the NW corner of the state, so February might be too cold for you. But I found the area very charming in a 50's-ish, pre-wretched-excess sort of way. Imagine the opposite of Destin or Panama City. My friend, who grew up there, said the feel of the area is what Florida used to be like, so maybe it's in a sense the "real Florida." I doubt that you could get your 5er into Ochlockonee State Park (the only one I know), and the Outdoor Destinations "resort" at Carabelle Beach was pretty much just a parking lot (and not even a great parking lot at that). So, suitable RV places may be pretty rare, but I guess that's what the "real Florida" was all about, eh? Have fun!
Skip

There's Coastline RV resort nearby in Eastpoint. nice place
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Klueck wrote:
Are you really sure you want to go to Miami? There are a lot of better beaches than the traffic and crime you will deal with in Miami.

The east coast has waves and more wind. The gulf coast has some nice white sandy beaches, calm seas and less wind. In other words you can enjoy the beach more. The beaches gulf side from around Tarpon Springs down are nice. North of Tarpon Springs you get a lot of oyster beds and not many sandy beaches.

Finding spaces on the spur of the moment is difficult enough in the winter, but finding spaces that will fit a 42 ft rig is going to be a lot more difficult. You will probably need to concentrate on the less popular places, like north of Orlando and into the Panhandle. The further south, the warmer it is, the more expensive it is and the harder to find a site last minute. (and this is last minute) It gets pretty cold in north Florida in the winter.

My definition of the real florida is the springs and rivers in north Central Florida. Rainbow River, Silver River, Weeki Wachee River, Manatee Blue Springs, Blue Springs, Silver Springs, Ichetucknee springs, Ginnie Springs. Basically go on the Fl state parks website and look at the springs and pictures. It's a lovely area and one not to be missed. Getting your rig into many of the state parks will be tricky and they book up 11 months in advance..... Good luck and enjoy Florida.

Well said and I agree. The Florida freshwater springs are like nothing else. (I can add some specific others if needed) I would add the Suwannee River Valley particularly Stephen Foster SP, St Augustine, and the panhandle beaches (some of the best in the world and very nice in May)
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Klueck
Explorer
Explorer
Are you really sure you want to go to Miami? There are a lot of better beaches than the traffic and crime you will deal with in Miami.

The east coast has waves and more wind. The gulf coast has some nice white sandy beaches, calm seas and less wind. In other words you can enjoy the beach more. The beaches gulf side from around Tarpon Springs down are nice. North of Tarpon Springs you get a lot of oyster beds and not many sandy beaches.

Finding spaces on the spur of the moment is difficult enough in the winter, but finding spaces that will fit a 42 ft rig is going to be a lot more difficult. You will probably need to concentrate on the less popular places, like north of Orlando and into the Panhandle. The further south, the warmer it is, the more expensive it is and the harder to find a site last minute. (and this is last minute) It gets pretty cold in north Florida in the winter.

My definition of the real florida is the springs and rivers in north Central Florida. Rainbow River, Silver River, Weeki Wachee River, Manatee Blue Springs, Blue Springs, Silver Springs, Ichetucknee springs, Ginnie Springs. Basically go on the Fl state parks website and look at the springs and pictures. It's a lovely area and one not to be missed. Getting your rig into many of the state parks will be tricky and they book up 11 months in advance. In fact the most popular places in Fl book for next season before the people leave for the summer. You might get lucky and get a cancellation.

Not in the price range you mentioned, but if you change your mind, we aren't going to be able to get down to our RV lot in the Keys this winter due to my Mom's health issues. We'll be renting it out, but price wise, it's more than you budgeted. Of course the Keys is the BEST place in Florida to winter...which is why we bought a lot. ๐Ÿ™‚ BTW, we are in Quail Run Rv resort in Wesley Chapel, plenty of large concrete spots but it's already half full and completely reserved for the winter. You might call and see if there are cancellations, but they usually quit putting people on the cancellation list pretty quickly. Good luck and enjoy Florida.

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
...Problem is, I don't really know what "real Flordia" is... nor do I have reservations so most state parks are out. Additionally, a 42' fifth wheel is limited in what parks can take us. But, we are good with RV parks and don't mind paying up to $60-70/night (though, my ideal is sub $50/night for hookups). I know it's snowbird season, but figure I can find places to squeeze in. We'll look to spend 2 weeks in each location. ...

This may not be what you're looking for, and my experience is very limited (like one trip), but last June I spent a week in Carabelle, near Apalachicola. The area is known as Florida's "forgotten coast," largely because it's a L-O-N-G way from any interstate or airport, so it doesn't get the same influx of visitors as other parts of Florida, and therefore its economy is not as dependent on tourist dollars. It's the NW corner of the state, so February might be too cold for you. But I found the area very charming in a 50's-ish, pre-wretched-excess sort of way. Imagine the opposite of Destin or Panama City. My friend, who grew up there, said the feel of the area is what Florida used to be like, so maybe it's in a sense the "real Florida." I doubt that you could get your 5er into Ochlockonee State Park (the only one I know), and the Outdoor Destinations "resort" at Carabelle Beach was pretty much just a parking lot (and not even a great parking lot at that). So, suitable RV places may be pretty rare, but I guess that's what the "real Florida" was all about, eh? Have fun!
Skip
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
I second Rock Crusher Canyon. Hillsborough River State Park and Fort DeSoto are nice but tough to get into.
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
For Miami and the Everglades check out this campground. We stayed here 3 years ago in February and had a lot of fun. The address is Miami, but it's not far north of Homestead or south of US41.

http://miamicamp.com/
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

FLGup
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget Highlands Hammock SP. in the middle of the state. If you have bikes it is awesome to bike ride the hammock loop and walk the trails.
FL-Guppie "small fish in a big pond"
2024 Grand Design 22MLE
2018 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost, maxtow

aslakson
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the Titusville area - even if you don't go to the space stuff, the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge is outstanding - so many birds you won't be able to count them all. And the claim is that Gatorland outside Orlando is one of the "original" tourist attractions - - - and the migrating birds there are also outstanding - you get close enough to the nests to count the eggs, and the birds don't mind.

al
Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 47 of the lower 48 so far.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My sisters group all go down to the camp grounds north of Tampa in the CRYSTAL RIVER area... There is a bunch of great camp grounds along the 19/98 road there on the gulf side... They like that Gulf side so great I think they bought a house there last time they were down there from Illinois. They usually go Jan through April with their big 5th wheel... They also like to stay up in the panhandle around the Destin area..

I like the high country of the southern states TN-AL-GA-NC-SC areas... Have been to Pensacola several times however for some beach time.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oh as for Miami, be prepared for horrible traffic. It took us an hour to go a mile or so on south US1 in Miami. That area has the worst traffic in the state.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper