cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida RV Park or Campground on the Beach

rvingnut
Explorer
Explorer
We are "mini" snowbirds usually heading south mid-late Feb and staying about six weeks. This year I have the urge to stay on the beach for a week or two. Any recommendations? Have a fifth wheel but want a campground/rv park that has restrooms and showers. Hubby would like cable but he could "rough it" a week or two. Would like a warm location as it's 10 degrees here in PA at noon. Would there be any sites available at that time?
20 REPLIES 20

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
WOW! Six weeks at the Red Coconut would cost us $5124.00!!! :E.:E....Dennis

Dennis,

Did you actually stay there and pay $5,124.00? Just curious. We own a condo in FT Myers. Do not like the traffic on Ft Myers Beach. Thanks.

Ray

LindaD
Explorer
Explorer
Ft.DeSoto is a nice park, does have special campsites for campers with pets, we will be there in a couple of weeks...

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:
No animals here, other than us lol. Will report on FT Desoto after next week...if we don't freeze first.

I do not work at the Chamber Of Commence, but I am sorry you have this cold weather. I want all visitors to experience the glory of our state and sometimes, it just is not so nice. Sorry.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

fchammer1
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes, it takes only a day's visit to get enough of the wind, sand, and salt on the beach -- not to mention the very tight quarters and limited parking at Red Coconut, or the bumper-to-bumper traffic on Estero Blvd. where cyclists will whiz by as you sit waiting for the car in front of you to advance another ten feet.

From Imperial Bonita Estates which is next to the Imperial River, it is a five-mile drive directly west to Bonita Beach Park, and its next door neighbor Barefoot Beach at the Collier County line. Great sunsets, great restaurants, and the freedom to come and go with relative ease.

Want a break mid-week? IBE has more than 80 activities to offer throughout the season. There's always something to do.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
No animals here, other than us lol. Will report on FT Desoto after next week...if we don't freeze first.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
Executive wrote:

The most expensive is is row 1 at $754.80 per week, times 6 weeks = $4,528.80.

Your math might not quite accurate, but it is still a LOT of money, even if it is right on the beach. At a little over $100.00 per day I would guess you could stay at Ft. Wilderness for less than that.

I do know from experience and often driving by it up to three times per day, it is always full! I guess a lot of folks want to camp right on the beach and are willing to pay the price.

They have been there 30 years or more.

You have to ADD in the 11% add on tax, the $3.33/day charge for each dog, and the $11.10/day for each person over two.....for us, $5124.00 for the 6 weeks.....Dennis

You are right about the darn taxes, forgot that part. Taxes we are not going to escape.

You may or may not have to pay for extra people or a dog depending on if they are with you.

No matter what it is a lot of money!

From a personal point of view, we grew up there and my wife can't see the attraction. I try to explain to her that people that don't live near a beach like to visit there, just as we like to visit mountains.

All of South Florida is expensive. I find it ironic that I lived there my entire adult life, and now that I am retired I can't afford to visit for more than two weeks a year!

But I am NOT complaining. The full time lifestyle is close as to heaven for us.
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
How far south do you want to go? North Beach RV in St Augustine is a nice park.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dog Folks wrote:
Executive wrote:

The most expensive is is row 1 at $754.80 per week, times 6 weeks = $4,528.80.

Your math might not quite accurate, but it is still a LOT of money, even if it is right on the beach. At a little over $100.00 per day I would guess you could stay at Ft. Wilderness for less than that.

I do know from experience and often driving by it up to three times per day, it is always full! I guess a lot of folks want to camp right on the beach and are willing to pay the price.

They have been there 30 years or more.

You have to ADD in the 11% add on tax, the $3.33/day charge for each dog, and the $11.10/day for each person over two.....for us, $5124.00 for the 6 weeks.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, it is all relative. We live just N of Myrtle Beach and are headed for Fl. for the same reason.

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure but I have heard the Ft Desoto does not allow pets, if you are traveling with pets you should check.
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a few..

http://www.hohumrvpark.com/

http://www.holidaycampground.com/

http://www.oldpavilionrvpark.com/

These are _waterfront_, not "beachfront." They're in the Florida Big Bend and we don't do beaches up there. The fact that they won't cost you an arm and three legs and they're a lot warmer than where you are might make a big difference.

Otherwise, if you must..

http://www.floridastateparks.org/gamblerogers/default.cfm

http://www.floridastateparks.org/fortclinch/default.cfm
-jbh-

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:

SC would be a bit cool for me in a TT in Feb.. Temps probably avg in the upper 50's in Feb..

I will agree, but that sure beats the -10 temps we have been having!!
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
We are headed to Ft Desoto next week. Never been there. Will post a review after we check it out.

SC would be a bit cool for me in a TT in Feb.. Temps probably avg in the upper 50's in Feb..

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:
If you don't have to go to Florida, how about (beachfront) Hunting Island, SC at $324/week or James Island Co Park outside of Charleston, SC (6-7 miles from Folly Beach) at about the same rate?

....or Jekyll Island, GA or even Gulf Shores SP in Alabama? The prices are much more reasonable.

This time of year the weather is also a whole colder in these areas.
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS