cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Glacier National Park

slay
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am looking ahead to the summer and planning a possible trip to the Northwest. I would like to spend a few days at Glacier National Park. What can anyone tell me about camping there. It appears from the NPS website that there are no hookups at any of the campgrounds within the park. If that's the case, how fast do the campgrounds fill up in July and do you still need to make reservations six months in advance? Are there any nice full-service campgrounds within a short distance of the park to serve as a base camp? Thanks in advance for any input.
Steve and Vivian
2013 Winnebago Vista 35F
2016 Ford Fiesta pushing from behind
Coffee is the sustenance of life
17 REPLIES 17

sweetnoni
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of campgrounds outside the park. We stayed in Columbia Falls, maybe a 20 minute ride, and stayed for around $200 a week. Nothing fancy, but clean and had what we needed. There are many right in West Glacier though.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

katleman
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
You may consider the old buses for touring first time and then use your toad later. The driver's seem to well informed.

+1
I've taken the red bus tours each visit, well worth the money, especially on days where the tops can be rolled back. Allows everyone to see the sights as you are driving.

Keep in mind, late June and sometimes into early July, going to the sun road isn't open yet. Depends on the snowfall and road damage over the winter.

As for camping, I wouldn't hesitate to stay at Many Glacier. Great location and scenery, along with access to showers and laundry, as well as a general store and cafe. Yes, no hookups.
Visted via RV

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
The KOA on the west side of the park is one of the nicest KOA's we have ever been in.

yep, I stayed at KOAs on both sides of the park. the west side one was very nice and had a family shower/restroom that was close to my site.
accommodating people let me overstay the check out time a bit due to electrical issues with my RV.
bumpy

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You may consider the old buses for touring first time and then use your toad later. The driver's seem to well informed.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

slay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks everyone for your input. Looks like the best option is to stay outside the park and use the toad for touring. When I finalize my plans I will select a campground.
Steve and Vivian
2013 Winnebago Vista 35F
2016 Ford Fiesta pushing from behind
Coffee is the sustenance of life

bradyk
Explorer
Explorer
Regulars there since we are only a few hours away. If you want hookups stay just outside the park and drive in. We stay at Mountain Meadows in Hungry Horse and have for several years. Make sure you have a smaller vehicle for driving through the park as you cant take any rv's through.
2001 Chevrolet 2500hd Silverado LT 4x4 6.0L/4.10
2005 KZ Outdoorsmen 2605PF
Equal-i-zer 10K WDH
Champion 4000W Generator
Champion 2000W Generator x 2
Ken & Sandra
Yugi Dog, Jet Dog

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
The KOA on the west side is indeed very, very nice and also, by far, the most expensive place in the area. If you do not want / need all the goodies that you pay for I would suggest North American.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
The park web site will show you fill times for each campground throughout the year. IMHO go either in June and be there when the high country opens, or get there right after Labor Day. Much less crowded, although the weather may be less predictable. But do be forewarned, Glacier can be chilly and wet any day of the year. The last time I left there it was 41 degrees & raining at 11 AM on an August morning.

But there's no other place like it, I would go every year if it was closer to home.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

RamTX
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
The KOA on the west side of the park is one of the nicest KOA's we have ever been in.

X2
2005 Dodge 2500 CTD ShortBed Quad Cab
08 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5FBHS
Line X
Superglide Hitch
Prodigy Brake Controller

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are several private CGs outside Glacier which are decent. Depending what kind of campsite you like, you have quite a choice, especially on the more forested west side. We stayed at the KOAs on both west & east sides; liked the west side one better, but we were disappointed that many of the trees had been removed (we were told they did that a couple years ago in order to accommodate the larger rigs.) Mountain Meadows is more wooded, we noticed (driving by). The east side of the park is much less forested than the west side, due to climatic conditions locally, so most CGs there will be in the open. The picture of the St Mary KOA is an accurate representation and a good example of what the east side of the park looks like.

I would recommend spending at least 2-3 days on each side of the park, if your schedule allows it. Consider taking the all-day Red Bus tour too - saves you the driving and gives you a good feel for what you might want to spend some time doing along Going to the Sun Road. Then you can go back to those areas (WITHOUT the RV) on a different day.

As far as reservations go, definitely make them - even for the CGs outside the park - well in advance. Glacier is not a terribly big park, and the vehicle-accessible area of it is quite small, but it gets about 2/3 of the visitors that much-bigger Yellowstone does. (Traffic is comparably bad because of that.) Glacier is awesome (and I don't use that word lightly) - well worth the trip. Bring along your passports and spend a day visiting next-door Waterton Lakes NP in Alberta, too. (Best accomplished from the east side.)
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the Mountain Meadow RV Park near the West entrance. I would easily stay there again; hey would be my first call. Sites are in wooded area, it was quiet but not very far from main road, close proximity to Glacier entrance, FHU, many sites are pull through if that matters to you.

Stayed there about 2yrs ago.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

cindik
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:

I rode through here while visiting my Son who works at Glacier. Very nice cg, and very close to the west entrance of Glacier. Next time I go, I think I will rent a cabin at the KOA. Very close and convenient.
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR SOLDIERS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
THE ONLY THING HARDER THAN BEING A SOLDIER, IS LOVING ONE

Our Photos

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
There is private campgrounds on both sides of Glacier. They fill up quickly especially around holidays.
Park campground do fill up during the summer. It is hard to get in. Sites are tight, the larger ones are gone very quickly.
Make reservations early.
Some like Two Medicine don't take reservations.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund