cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand canyon spring trip

ATOMICPUNK
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, i was thinking of taking the family(in my MH) to the Grand canyon for spring break in March. Is it too cold? Is it worth the trip in March?

thx
Big Pig Racing
2012 Allegro Red 38QBA
11 REPLIES 11

TOOBOLD
Explorer
Explorer
We've gone in April and got snow in a pop up without a heater!

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
If spring break is limited to only ONE week you'll need to plan driving time up and back and just how much you want to do once on site.

BaldyD1
Explorer
Explorer
The Grand Canyon is spectacular when ever it is visited. Recommend reviewing average temps for the time period you plan tp be there. Enjoy the beauty.
Speedy, Jackie & Dusty {Shih-Tzu/Maltese}
2006 Kountry Star KSDP 3912
2005 Saturn Vue (dinghy)

matt7591
Explorer
Explorer
I was there on two separate Spring Breaks. First time was 15 F at night, other time was 40s at night. You never know what to expect but it will be fun. It's easy enough to handle cold temps if you study up on it. Disconnect water hose at night if at Trail Village, open cabinets if water lines present in there so that it can keep pipes under freezing, use RV antifreeze as needed.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim said it right. We have been there in March with great weather and in May and got snow. Last time we were there in March we got snowed in Trailer Village.

Taking the train gives you a couple hours or so midday at one central spot at the South Rim - visiting the Grand Canyon, yes; SEEING the Grand Canyon, no. You have to stay there to see all the spots and at beautiful sunrises and sunsets.

Go to www.LaurenBarbara.com and click on the Wanderings link on the left and then click Grand Canyon - Winter to see our last March visit there.

But it could be gorgeous ---- God makes the plan.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Consider staying in Williams and taking the train to the South Rim.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
The average temperature for Grand Canyon National Park on March 15th is 53F for the high, and 20F for the low. The record high for that date is 71F (2013) and the record low is 3F(2002). During that time frame, it is possible to get snowfall that averages 3-6 inches.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

ATOMICPUNK
Explorer
Explorer
Well this sounds like a go! Thanks for the info. Now to start doing some research
Big Pig Racing
2012 Allegro Red 38QBA

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
and no summer smog. So view will be spectacular
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
We arrived at the Grand Canyon,March 26th this year during school break and easter. Temperatures on the south rim were cool at night and mild in the day. Only stayed for a few days but the crowds were much larger than when we have been there in April and May the last 3 years.

Met 30 backpackers when on a one day hike from Grandview to South Kaibab. Thats busy.

Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

Helimech
Explorer
Explorer
The mornings will be a little cool but a good time to be there, Few crowds