cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

i'm going to arcadia florida ...and getting cold feet.

pattyann1750
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I did my research but the closer it gets to leaving(dec 27)I wonder if we made the right choice.The campground had a good price and has since lowered its monthly fee and it makes me wonder ????To good to be true?Now I hear it is not the safest area and my head is spinning.Has anyone stayed at the big tree rv resort?If we get there and dont like it will we ever find another place that late?Please ,I need advice.
13 REPLIES 13

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Once you get to Florida those cold feet will warm up! Relax all will be fine!

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
If you hear banjos playing - just speed up.

But, there's one thing you won't hear there - snow plows.
2014 Chevy 2500 Duramax, short bed, 4WD
2004 Keystone Laredo 27RL
Escapees member

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
Relax and just enjoy the experience, you will be fine. I am sure you are going to meet a lot of nice folk there. While you are there you can go and check out other parks if you feel that this one lacks things that you want. Florida is a big place with lots of different parks for different people, this could be the right place for you.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Craig's RV Park just north of Arcadia is a rural campground with monthly Bluegrass shows if you really want to avoid the towns.

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
The reason you will pay less in Arcadia is not because of the crime. Yes there is crime there just like anywhere. Usually in the campground it is ok. Arcadia is in a rural area far enough from the beaches and the Fla. lifestyle depicted in the travel guides. You can get to Sarasota, Venice Fort Meyers etc. but it will take you a little time. Arcadia is small old town with a lot of antique shops, restaurants, cafรฉs etc. And a good place for watermelon in season. I have been there a number of times to shop antiques mainly when I had a S&B. If you like the beaches the upscale restaurants and just an upscale adventure it is not in Arcadia. Pay the price and rv in Sarasota, Venice, Fort Meyers or even Port Charlotte as they are much closer and in season that matters to stuff. If you are more relaxed type and likes the small town feel then Arcadia is a good fit. Good luck.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Never been to Arcadia, but for years we would vacation in Venice area. I am also a retired LEO, but from up north. We never heard much about above average crime in the Sarasota/Venice area.

From that CG's website it sure looks like an extremely cheap rate for winter months. We are paying almost 3x that in the Fort Myers area for a site in a gated RV park. But we are a little further south and located about 1.5 miles from the beach, so those factors may make a difference.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Arcadia is a nice town, not huge but everything you will need. Crime there isn't really bad.....RV park area is fine.....you will enjoy it.....
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
The crime rates there are bogus, as are most crime stats in any US city. I was a LEO in central FL for several decades and the crime in Arcadia is local and migrant workers, NOT snowbird related. I watched how the so called crime states were reported by various cities over the years and believe me they are as bogus as the city fathers can make them. I saw one city that had it own requirement for "violent" crime and to qualify Jeffrey Dahmer or the Charles Manson crew had to have been involved. Then another in central FL reported every possible scenario as a violent crime, if it didn't fit into a property crime scenario. Other words, take the so called "crime" stats with a grain of salt and you will be fine.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
When you find a place where a lot of Snowbirds or Winter Texans congregate that has lower than normal crime rates, please let us know so that we can congregate there. The Rio Grande Valley of Texas does not qualify.

Arcadia, Florida is a nice town with more cows than people. Spent a couple of years there with no problems. BTW, I consider Arcadia to be in South Central Florida, as it is way south of Orlando.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Crime in Arcadia, Florida

Arcadia, FL, violent crime, on a scale from 1 (low crime) to 100, is 90. Violent crime is composed of four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault.

The US average is 41.4.

Arcadia, FL, property crime, on a scale from 1 (low) to 100, is 53. Property crime includes the offenses of burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, and arson. The object of the theft-type offenses is the taking of money or property, but there is no force or threat of force against the victims.

The US average is 43.5.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

outdoorlovers
Explorer
Explorer
Big Tree RV Resort reviews

Relax, according to the reviews you will be fine.
2012 Dodge Ram 2500, Cummins turbo diesel, 6 speed, 4X4, tow package
2014 Jayco FW Eagle HT 26.5 RLS
Yamaha EF2400iS gen

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a carefree resort. It should be good. I don't think it's that unusual for parks to reduce rates or do monthly specials if their occupancy isn't what was expected at certain points throughout the winter season. We have friends who received a reduced rate because it was their 1st stay and then returning this year received an even better rate for the first 2 months. That was also a carefree resort, but in a different city in FL. Rv park reviews doesn't have any bad reviews for them.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Just relax and enjoy. If you don't like it 0you can always move. Should be plenty of options in north central FL. Anything should be netter than the cold and snow you are coming from.
pawatt