cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Maine and NE Canada

jimwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip in late August from Ohio to coastal Maine. Been there a few years back and know the area somewhat. Would really like to move on into the NE provinces of Canada. Need some help on the "must see" and probably could miss areas. Have a 38' fifth wheel so that is a factor. Our primary destination is Prince Edward Island and looking at the maps would seem going from Bangor up Route 1 to Moncton is the logical path. Here is the real question.. Are there places on Nova Scotia that we shouldn't miss? Looks like a long loop if you do the entire peninsula. Not on a time schedule. Next phase PEI to Quebec City.
11 REPLIES 11

fwed
Explorer
Explorer
We found the municipal campground in Saint John, NB, to be a pit. You know there' going to be trouble when a boil water order is posted on a billboard driving in. Mind you, this was a few years back, but I'll never try it again.

Prince Edward Island: Marco Polo Land. Sounds hokey but it's a great CG. Big sites and all grassy. Again, a few years ago.

Nova Scotia: seeing the Fundy Tides are a real must. You can actually see the tide coming in. Alexander Graham Bell summered on Bra d'Or Lake and did some great (and early) research into hydrofoil boats. There's a very good museum of his work there, with many of the boats.
Also, the fort at Louisberg-- an important battle in American history. Very interactive -- any kids will love it.

fred.

jimwooster
Explorer
Explorer
In looking at Nova Scotia it looks like Cape Breton and Cabot Trial is a must. Is Peggy's Cove a good stop as well? Not sure if there is much to see on the southwestern area of NS around Yarmouth. Is this accurate?

Regarding the Bay of Funday, is there a campground that is best to see the tide? I saw a nice one in Funday National park.

Thanks for the good info everyone. Jim

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if you need hookups or not but I highly recommend Cobscook Bay State Park on the way up or back, on rt. 1. There are beautiful sites overlooking the bay and stunning scenery. There is a shower house, and privys are throughout the park, which are well maintained. Sites are very well spaced, I couldn't even see anyone from where I was. I had a wonderful stay there last summer and will return in the future. Specific sites can be reserved ahead.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

b2egypt
Explorer
Explorer
We are leaving Michigan around July 8 heading to Maryland to see grandkids, then north from there. Do need to be home by last weekend in August. Traveling with truck camper. Betsy
Loving Life!

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Dr Quick wrote:
On PEI we stayed a Scotia Pine RV park near Green Gables, and they gave us free passes to use for Green Gables tour.

Scotia Pine is in Nova Scotia near Truro. Not PEI.

As well, our north shore beaches are on the Gulf of St. Lawrence. Not to be confused with the St. Lawrence River.

Hope you enjoyed your PEI visit.

S
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

bee_46
Explorer
Explorer
We did a similar trip from Maryland in 2010. I wrote a blog for the trip and it may give you some ideas of some places to visit on your trip.

Here is a link to the blog Acadia and the Canadian Maritimes
Bobbie ๐Ÿ™‚

2003 Pleasure Way Excel TD

Alaska 2008

Arches, Geysers, and Canyons

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
We went to PEI last summer and are planning on going back next year. Like rwbradley wrote: " PEI is like going back in time "....Remember Little house on the Prairie !
We stayed at Cavendish Sunset campground right in the heart of Cavendish. The campground is situated behind the boardwalk and across the street from the beach. They charge a fee at the entrance of the beach, but you will soon find out there are plenty of beaches that are free.
The water is the Gulf of St Lawrence , which is as large as an ocean but the warmest water north of Virginia.
PEI is known for their mussels and the best place we found was the Blue Oyster restaurant in North Rustico.
I forgot to mention....people are super friendly and always ready to help.

Have fun and enjoy......Lucky you !

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
Places to go:
PEI for sure, it is like driving back in time. It really is quite different than the mainland. PEI national park- Cavendish campground is excellent. See some of the sights right around the park, bike the trails around the park, eat some seafood in North Rustico and visit Charlottetown.
New Brunswick: Bay of Fundy National Park
Nova Scotia: Cape Breton Highlands National Park- drive the loop around Cape Breton for sure.

We took hwy 1 last summer and it was an easy and scenic drive and it takes you right past Fundy. The only concern about hwy 1 is that I saw no Service centers or Truck Stops along the way. I had to get gas in town in St John and the gas station I went to was quite busy and very tight. My wife had to guide me out and stand in front of the cars of the fools who thought they could zip past me to grab my pump while I was still trying not to sideswipe any pumps or cars. But that was just one crappy gas station on an otherwise excellent trip.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

jimwooster
Explorer
Explorer
b2egypt wrote:
Great to see your question! Hope you don't mind me following it, we are doing very similar trip this summer. Betsy

So when are you folks looking to go? I did a couple of searches for Atlantic Maritimes Some good info out there.

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was in that area a few years ago. In New Brunswick be sure and see the Hopewell Rocks where they have the 45 foot tides. In Novi Scotia there is Peggy's Cove. Also Cape Bretton Island. Since you are only charged to leave PEI, I would plan on taking the Ferry to PEI and the bridge back. Probably save about 35 or 40 dollars as on the ferry you are charged by the foot to leave, but the bridge is a flat rate.
Also get a good local map for Nova Scotia, We got lost there may times due to the poor road signs.
On PEI we stayed a Scotia Pine RV park near Green Gables, and they gave us free passes to use for Green Gables tour.

I GOOFED on the campground. It was Glasgow Highlands, near New Glasgow. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
Dr Quick

b2egypt
Explorer
Explorer
Great to see your question! Hope you don't mind me following it, we are doing very similar trip this summer. Betsy
Loving Life!