cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Missouri....

JK3045
Explorer
Explorer
We have not spent a lot of time in Missouri...going next week for two weeks from Michigan. Any one with suggestions for campgrounds or things worth seeing or doing. No place in particular on my mind.

Thanks ,
John
17 REPLIES 17

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
The rivers are probably to high to float but the Jacks Fork and Current rivers are beautiful. Alley Spring campground has a loop with water and electric. The trout stream campgrounds are real nice. Bennett Spring isn't too far off the interstate. The lake of the Ozarks state park is nice. So pick any state park and you can't go wrong.
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite area of Missouri is the Ozark National Scenic Riverways area. Beautiful rivers and springs! http://www.nps.gov/ozar/index.htm
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
Missouri is a hard state to EXPLORE, lots of history and activities in all four corners, not a lot in between. Someone suggested you visit Lamberts while you are there. I would suggest that would be the equal of getting Pasties while in Mackinaw City. It's a must.
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Missouri is almost as big as Michigan. Where would you recommend I go in Michigan for two weeks and what is worth seeing or doing? Never mind, I lived there for almost a third of my life, I know the Michigan places I like to visit.

What do you like to do? For water sports, there is Lake of the Ozarks, a huge resort area SW of St Louis, but also drawing a KC crowd.

Do you want to visit major metro areas with urban culture, historical significance, city amenities? Missouri has two, St Louis and Kansas City. St Louis is still an old urban center much like Detroit was in the 1950s and early 60s, before Detroit crumbled into a POS. KC is a modern sprawling metroplex in the Houston-Los Angeles-Las Vegas style though not yet quite that large.

Looking for something like Nashville, Dollywood, or a minor scale Disneyworld, or a Las Vegas without the sin? Missouri has the Branson area. The Branson area (Table Rock Lake) also has some very nice water/forest areas on reservoirs feeding the Arkansas river system, though if that's what I was looking for I would go into NW Arkansas or NE Oklahoma, to get the reservoir "wilderness" experience without having to take in the tourist traffic Branson draws.

My own favorite place in Missouri is the Hannibal area, where the Mark Twain connection has made for the historical preservation of a late 19th century river port (most others have either died or evolved into something quite different). I stay there one to three days at a time, often, but have not extended my visits to two weeks or more. If I am not in a large city, I like to keep moving. There is Mark Twain Lake just west of Hannibal, but if I am staying on a lake, it would rather be Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri, or more likely Grand Lake O the Cherokees in Oklahoma.

There is Chillicothe, home of Sliced Bread. St Joseph, starting point for the short-lived Pony Express. Independence (now kind of a KC suburb) home of Harry Truman. If you look around you'll also find the home towns of Walt Disney and General Pershing (all near US-36). Drift over into Atchison, Kansas, and you'll find the birthplace of Amelia Earhart, just across the river from Missouri.

If you follow the route of US-66 (now I-44) you can still find many of the 1950s-60s Route 66 tourist traps and modern additions: amusement parks like Six Flags, large cave complexes, safari parks, the walnut bowls factory, original home of Bass Pro Shops, Precious Moments at Carthage, and a few of the largest motor coach resale and RV wrecking yards in the Midwest. I've traveled this route at least fifty times in the past 30 years, have found many places to visit for a few hours, but none where I would be compelled to stay for two weeks.

So I find Missouri an interesting state, passing through it hundreds of times going to and from Michigan, many places I will stop for a day or two, but no place that might tear me away from home for two weeks. But that's because the places I might stay two weeks in Missouri, the parks on the reservoirs, I have the same thing closer to home in NE Oklahoma.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The state parks are very nice in Missouri but don't overlook the Corp of Engineer parks. They have some very nice campgrounds. Any place around Lake of the Ozarks is a zoo - very busy.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Being from Missouri and camping primarily in Missouri for over 60 years I could recommend several spots, depending on you likes and wants, RV requirements and comfort levels. All the previous posters are correct and there are a ton of things to see and do. DW & I are constantly finding new places and interesting thing to see & do.
A nice quiet park 60 minutes south of St Louis if Hawn SP. Nice trails and a nice quite park. Not far from Ste Genevieve, historic MO town. As mentioned before Roaring River SP is our favorite, but we trout fish. Beautiful area and not far from Eureka Springs, AR.
I could go on and on. PM me, if you wish, with your requirements, interests and questions.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
We visited Missouri last fall (October 2014), stayed at a nice campground in Annapolis called Big Creek RV Park- it was very nice and in an area called the Arcadia Valley.

Attractions near there were Johnsons Shut Ins SP, Elephant Rocks SP, and the Ozark Scenic Riverways National Rec Area. We had a blast, and if you love the outdoors its a great area to explore. All kinds of canoeing, golf,hiking, and the folks were friendly and helpful. I'd like to visit that area again someday.

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer
Branson! SKP park in Hollister, MO
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

markandkim
Explorer II
Explorer II
AdirondackJack wrote:
We enjoyed stopping a couple of nights in Cape Girardeau last Fall on the Mississippi River and also enjoyed a fun meal nearby at Lambert's Cafe - "Home of the Trowed Rolls". Our visit is at http://www.snowbirdrvtrails.com/capegirardeau.htm. Great State with friendly people.

Loved Lambert's.
Stayed at Hinton RV park in Sikeston for a week in Summer 2013. Enjoyed the Boot Hell Rodeo also.
Retired Navy

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7L
2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

JK3045
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks...the State parks are mostly what we want. Wife and I were just thinking ,in all our years we have traveled we have really not explored Missouri.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at 2 Missouri State parks and on Corps of Engineer Park in Missouri.St Francois State park about 30 miles south of St Louis is nice.Electric hookups,there a river for wading or fishing.Nice big sites.We also stayed at Arrow Rock State park.The campground was nice with electric hookups and the town of arrow Rock has alot of historic buildings which are open to the public.The COE Campground wet stayed at was on Pomme de Terra lake.I believe it was Pittsburg Landing.It had a nice beach and electric hookups.

sweetnoni
Explorer
Explorer
Texas Shadow gave you 2 good choices off of rt 36. 1000 Hills State Park in Kirksville is nice also. Roaring River State park southwest of Branson. I second the Bass Pro Shop in Springfield. Eat lunch at the buffet upstairs after taking in all the taxidermy displays and aquariums. Good value!

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think most of the MO State Parks are nice.
We like Mark Twain State Park just west of Hannibal, MO.
We have also stayed at Long Branch State park up by Macon, MO...good fishing.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoyed, very much, a stay at Onandaga Cave state park. It is SW of St. Louis, just off I-44 at the Leasburg exit. The cave visit was memorable, and the park is small, level, and secluded. If that's what you want, go for it. Very little cell, or TV coverage. HTH
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!