cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Snowbird Signing off for last time

olygene
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for 12 years of great information, humor, and assistance on RVnet. My wife and I enjoyed every mile of our RV travels but my health has deteriorated to the point that I had to sell my MH yesterday. I held out as long as I could but everyone reaches a stage when it's time to quit. It wasn't safe for me, or for other travelers on the road, for me to continue driving. Last year, we took a bucket list trip to Alaska while I was suffering from cancer and it was made possible after input from so many of you when I asked about special foods I could find to eat on the Alaskan hwy. I just want to say that I had the time of my life on the road over the years and that time was made so much easier with all the info all of you passed on in the forum. Thank you so very much. And Safe Travel to all of you.
22 REPLIES 22

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
From one coast to the other "Best Wishes". Thanks for being part of our family here on the Forum.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)

Explorer II
Explorer II
Remember that those who no longer can, TEACH.

Best wishes to you and yours.
Dave
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

MaverickBBD
Explorer
Explorer
May you continue to enjoy your travels in whatever direction and form they may take you.

You will be missed but not forgotten.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107

her_I
Explorer
Explorer
BarbaraOK wrote:
Sooner or later we all have to hang up the keys - first the RV then later the car. That's one reason we went ahead and got a park model in Mesa. Even when we have to sell the MH in a few years, we will still be able to enjoy winters in the sun and drive (or fly) back to relatives in the north. Just a little planning is all it takes.

Hope you stay around - lots of expertise to give to those just starting out.

Barb
There is lots of reasons to give things up but the memories last forever. We have sold our MH and bought a park model in San Benito, Texas. If the exchange rate on the Canadian dollar remains in the 80 cent range that will end also. We have had many adventures and remain on these forums. I believe the first time we spoke to you Barbara was in our first RV and a rebar came off a transport in front of us and wiped out our brake and hydraulic lines on the maiden voyage home.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
BarbaraOK wrote:
...snip... Just a little planning is all it takes. Barb

I think this is worth repeating!

FT'ers need an exit plan, snowbirds only need a backup plan. One of the luxuries of being a snowbird is having a good idea where you want to settle down for the winters. A little planning early on can go a long ways later in life.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck!
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
For many years I worked for Michigan's Secretary of State (to many it's call the DMV), and more often than I would have liked, had to convince an older person that they probably shouldn't be driving anymore. Physical health or vision issues created a danger to themselves and others. It takes a strong person to acknowledge their limitations and give up the keys. I salute you for recognizing the safety factors and hope that your health improves. Please come back to this site often, your knowledge of RVing and camping experiences are invaluable to others.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Sooner or later we all have to hang up the keys - first the RV then later the car. That's one reason we went ahead and got a park model in Mesa. Even when we have to sell the MH in a few years, we will still be able to enjoy winters in the sun and drive (or fly) back to relatives in the north. Just a little planning is all it takes.

Hope you stay around - lots of expertise to give to those just starting out.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

boiseidaho
Explorer
Explorer
Best of luck to you. Mostly I want to thank you and others like you on these forums for all the knowledge and interesting stories. Like you I have not been able
to travel because of health issues. So I have lived RVing through these forums.
Thank all of you.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck to you and best wishes for good health and happy days in your retirement from Rv-ing.

Please remember that, RV or not, you are still welcome and needed here. No doubt your experience and knowledge will be beneficial to many!
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
Same as everyone else, good luck and thanks. I never met you but I wish I had.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
It takes a big person to know when to hang up the keys. If your health permits, there are many other ways to enjoy winter down south with good neighbors without driving a RV. I know of a few who's children will drive them down for the winter. Others will fly and have a neighbor or taxi pick them up. Some of the best cancer hospitals are in the snowbird states.

Good luck, and I hope things all work out for you and your family.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I deal with a lot of Seniors who are forced to give up their cars for various reasons and it might be the biggest adjustment of their lives; much like your decision to give up the MH. But they soldier on, as I'm sure you will also, hopefully with help from loved ones.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
No need to leave. You will always be an RV'er so keep sharing what you have learned with the new folks who come along. Good luck to you with your health issues.